irregular lighting hours...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  14:31:17  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
In my room where my snake is, the curtains are normally closed since the sun shines right in and is bright and irritating due to the angle it faces, this persists for most of the day.
Also, my light is turned on and off throughout the day, so I'm kinda worried that the semi-irregular lighting hours might be stressing my corn. I mean, she doesn't show any signs of stress, and is happily nomming small mice now, but I'm just kinda worried.
She's housed in a faunarium right now, so I can't really fit in a light fixture or anything, but there is a table lamp right next to it, is it possible to buy something that'll turn the lamp on and off at the right times?

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Ozzy
0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake - Astra
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Zilly
0.0.1. - Sinaloan's Milksnake, Harley

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  14:44:37  Show Profile
Hi. If you go into any hardware shop you should be able to buy a cheap plug in timer that you can plug your light into.
Andy

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  16:13:08  Show Profile
If hes not showing any signs of stress I wouldnt worry.

You could get a light fitting, wire it and put an energy saving bulb in? (with curtains closed) It doesnt have to be in the faun. I have just wired a plug, switch and light fitting with the light fitting screwwed into an old peice of skirting board so I can move it as I want.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  20:36:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
unless you've got well-fitting blackout curtains the snake will still know it's daylight outside during the day, i'd be more worried if you were up all night with the light on, that might confuse him!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  01:44:58  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
See, that *is* the problem. *points to the time right now* Its 1:30am whilst I post this, and I'm normally up around this time due to slaving away at coursework and stuff >.<
I mean, she's always been a thankfully *touchs wood* problem free corn, feeds and sheds regularly and perfectly, and doesn't seem to mind being handled in the slightest bit, as well as showing alot of character.
I guess I'm just paranoid about stuff. I mean, around July-ish, I'm thinking of getting her a full viv which I think you can put a blue light-red light system for night and day respectively. Though correct me if I'm wrong about that >.<
Any advice? =(

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  15:21:38  Show Profile
i have the same problem im a night owl i like sleeping in and waking late and i also do nightshift, but aslong as lights arent on 24/7 they do seem to get on ok, also most of the time they are in the dark hiding anyway

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  20:52:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
the red/blue lights sound like a good plan Janos

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  00:36:57  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
I know this is gonna sound like a really nooby question, but how would I connect it up?

EDIT: To elaborate, how do I set it up so it automatically turns one bulb on and the other off? If there's a way to do that, can you link me to a site where I can buy the required equipment?

Edited by - Janos on 06/03/2009 00:57:09
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  18:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
I made a control unit with a light sensitive photocell and a relay to automatically switch my lighting. Mine also automatically reduces the night time temperature by about 5C too. Most parts can be bought at Maplin, except the photocell, ebay is probably best for that.
If you want I could draw up a wiring diagram for you and list the parts. But you'd have to be competent at wiring!

However, the simplest way would be to use 2 plug in timers and use one to control each light.
I bought a digtal one in Screwfix last week for less than £3! Bargain.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  21:38:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Janos

See, that *is* the problem. *points to the time right now* Its 1:30am whilst I post this, and I'm normally up around this time due to slaving away at coursework and stuff >.<

could always give the snake blackout curtains?
or more seriously, cover the front of the viv at night if you've got the light on.

Go to Top of Page

curragh
Egg

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  12:16:54  Show Profile  Send curragh a Yahoo! Message
am i maken my snak mad wen the lights r ot c its in the kithen and i run in and out ever 20 mins is dat ok?
Go to Top of Page

curragh
Egg

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  12:19:16  Show Profile  Send curragh a Yahoo! Message
wer do u get them
Go to Top of Page

curragh
Egg

United Kingdom
81 Posts