handling adult for the first time
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  20:22:25  Show Profile
hi have gained a corn snake from a friend and was wondering what the best way for handling for the first time. she said hes very friendly and she handled him alot but obviously he's not used to me so any tips? thanks.

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  20:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
Just don't be hesitant. It's best just to quickly lift the snake and any initial nervousness from the snake should subside quite quickly.
If your unsure then use a snake hook or something similar to lift the snake out of the viv first. You can then see it's reaction to being disturbed before you handle it.

HTH
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  20:34:10  Show Profile
Scoop it up gently with 1 hand 1/3 of the way down the ody and the other 2/3 of the way down. Dont hold it tight. When you go to get the snake out, open the viv doors for a minuite and just see how he reacts.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  21:05:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
even if it's in the same viv i'd still give it a week to settle in and get accustomed to the new view and smells before handling. like matty said, aim to get the middle tird of the snake so you can support its weight, that way it won't thrash around trying to find its balance and feeling insecure.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  00:19:02  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
As all the others said,let it settle then handle,also show no fear,confidence is the key.You could put a small item of clothing in with him to get used to your smell.

Edited by - lee2308 on 04/03/2009 00:21:05
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  09:28:29  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
If you don't like getting bitten wear gloves. I know I do . Like Lee said too, put an item of clothing in the viv. I put a t-shirt that I wore under my rugby shirt in there for a week. Matilda's still a bit on the aggressive side (understatement) but she doesn't go into full strike pose when I open the viv door now.

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  10:09:06  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
does that mean you have scaled down to thin woolly gloves as apposed to the chain mail ones now paul haha

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  14:25:00  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
Lol, I just got a mental image of that xD
I second the small peice of clothing idea, so the snake gets used to your smell. I guess I'm just lucky that mines is too scared of...well, just about everything to bite. I'm just about the only person she's comfortable around, and even then she has her bad days.

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Ozzy
0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake - Astra
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Zilly
0.0.1. - Sinaloan's Milksnake, Harley

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000