New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  18:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
I thought I'd share with you how I decorated my viv with plants. I was shocked at the prices of the branded 'reptile' silk plants so took a trip to my local garden centre. They had an absolutely huge variety in stock in all colours too.

To give you an idea of the savings, the plant on the left was only £3.50 and is over 2ft long. The spiky one on the right was a paltry £1.50...

The Exo-Terra bushes and ferns are roughly between £8 and £14. In comparison, this one was £2.99!

After pulling the stem from the pot I cut off the bottom section so the plant would be lower to the ground. Drill an appropriately sized hole in a scrap of wood. For my plants, a 10mm hole was a nice tight push fit but I expect they'd vary somewhat. The wood base can be covered with your substrate in the viv so it isn't visible.

Also, you can use a tile saw to cut out an opening in the terrcotta pot to make a completely free hide. Bonus!!

I have many more plants than I currently have in Lilas viv. I'm gonna change the layout and decor every couple of months while I'm cleaning and disinfecting everything.

Bud

Edited by - matty18714 on 03/03/2009 19:02:17

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  18:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
Sorry Mods, meant to post this in General Posts!
Go to Top of Page

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  18:40:24  Show Profile
looks a good idea, and a bargain price

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

61 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  18:54:49  Show Profile
nice money saving tip gonna have to go to my local garden center and have a look my self

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  19:02:02  Show Profile
Nice guide, shame I cant find fake plants cheap, they seem to be almost as expensive as the reptile brands.

I will move the thread to general for you.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  20:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I'm the same as matty18714, even fakes in garden centres are as expensive as exo ones.

Sounds like you need to 'fess up to where this garden centre is!!

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  22:18:23  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
To be honest I've never bought fake plants before so I presumed the prices I found them at was normal. I bought my plants in a place called Springtime Nurseries in Enfield, North London. All the potted plants were no more than £3.99 and I even got some stems of grasses that were 90p each.

They did have a lot of much more expensive stuff too. But definately lots of bargains.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000