Kisatchies
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  19:46:43  Show Profile
Has anyone got a Kisatchie, they are lovely, so just asking, and pics of Aztecs cos i love em, they are almost as nice as Royals...

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  20:07:03  Show Profile
What are they? I've never heard of them.

Go to Top of Page

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  20:09:00  Show Profile
one of them digital pets from the `90s innit? :)

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  20:15:55  Show Profile
this is a Kisatchie,

go here and scroll down, check out the silverleaf ones, they are stunning along with the price tag,

http://kjunsnakehaven.com/elaphe.htm#kisatchie

and check out the Terrazo cornsnake, they are stunning...

http://kjunsnakehaven.com/images/30.jpg

T.0845 250 0020

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  20:18:34  Show Profile
Are they defined by patern or colour?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  20:23:27  Show Profile

Borrowed the stuff below so you can read it...

Kisatchie cornsnakes are currently a topic of hot debate. There seems to be a big argument among keepers and researchers over exactly what they are and what they aren't. They have historically been called, at one time, either E. emoryi or E. guttata. A recent published paper hypothesized they were their own species, Slowinski's Cornsnake (E. slowinskii), but that project leaves much to be desired in the way of scientific validity. New researchers are considering them a subspecies of the eastern cornsnake, or E. g. slowinskii. This is the nomenclature we choose to follow. We strongly feel that these animals are the result of historic, natural, intergrades between Emory's ratsnakes and Eastern cornsnakes that only occur in an isolated portion of west-central Louisiana and east Texas. They do not look anything like the man-made cornsnake X Emory's ratsnake hybrids that are already way too common in the pet trade. Regretfully, some hybrids have been misrepresented as true "Kisatchie cornsnakes" over at least the past 10 years. If you really want Kisatchie cornsnakes, make sure you get the real deal. Regardless of what you call them, we do know that they are locality pure animals that show traits somewhere between an Emory's ratsnake and a cornsnake and that they are extremely attractive.
Kisatchie cornsnakes originally received their common name (at least the one used in the pet trade) from being found near Kisatchie, LA, in Natchitoches Parish, and from first being found by hobbyists in and near the Red Dirt Management Area of Kisatchie National Forest. Most of my Louisiana stock come from near one or both of those areas. This is the "typical" Kisatchie corn and the source of the type descriptions. If you want something that is a locality animal, has the typical Kisatchie appearance, and has some history attached to it, then these are the ones you'll want! Louisiana locality Kisatchie cornsnakes are more earth-toned than those from Texas, and more cornsnake-like in general appearance, shape, and reproduction. Texas Kisatchie cornsnakes, often referred to as "Texas cornsnakes," are darker colored than Louisiana Kistachie cornsnakes and possess a more "metallic" sheen to them. The blotches, which sometimes have a greenish tinge to them, are more of a stark contrast to the background coloration than what is seen in Louisiana locality animals. Some individuals also possess some red specking between the scales as adults. Brazos and Grimes Counties, Texas, are about as far west as Kisatchie cornsnakes go in the mid-part of their geographic range. They seem to be able to get a little larger in size than their Louisiana counterparts and look a little more Emory-like in general coloration and morphology. Reproduction is more reminiscent of Emory ratsnakes than cornsnakes. However, we have had a WC gravid female lay as many as 33 eggs a week after she was collected. My current colony consists of wild caught, captive hatched, and captive bred individuals of known and generic localities. This allows me to be able to produce a diverse group of completely unrelated offspring from unrelated parents.

The "Dark-Eyed" Anerythristic mutation is a pure Kisatchie cornsnake (no true cornsnake genes infused into them) takes the Louisiana look and actually improves upon it further. This trait spontaneously appeared in my colony of F1 and F2 Kisatchie cornsnakes while on breeding loan to Don Soderberg. These anerythristic (or "aner") Kisatchie cornsnakes appear to completely lack all yellow pigmentation (in the examples we've got so far), and this mutation has been found to not be allelic with the anerythrism mutation in cornsnakes. This is, therefore, a completely new gene!

The Silverleaf mutation is descended from a recently wild-collected Kisatchie cornsnake with a highly unusual in pattern and color scheme. The original snake is a light grey color with darker black blotches (no brown), but he has normal colored eyes! The coloration is reminiscent of the lavender mutation in cornsnakes, but this guy is darker with much blacker blotches and does not have the ruby-colored eyes indicative of lavender cornsnakes. The posterior dorsal and ventral patterns are slightly obscured into a mosiac, "aztec"-ish, pattern, too. We are currently in the process of determining if this is an inheritable trait

T.0845 250 0020

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  20:25:23  Show Profile
i am hoping to get an unrelated pair over in the autumn one of them will be het silverleaf., i think they are lovely..sorry for that long read, i just cut and pasted it,...

T.0845 250 0020

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  20:51:34  Show Profile
Doesnt seem to clear, or is it just me. From that I gather they are a sub species of corn?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  21:26:03  Show Profile
From what i understand they are located only in Texas and Louisianna and possibly not a true corn so to speak, but possibly a cross between an Emory's ratsnake and a cornsnake ...whatever they are they are lovely looking snakes..

T.0845 250 0020

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  08:45:59  Show Profile
quote:
go here and scroll down, check out the silverleaf ones, they are stunning along with the price tag,

http://kjunsnakehaven.com/elaphe.htm#kisatchie

Number 70 looks very similar to my anery aztec.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000