Heatmat or light?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  20:22:59  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Hey guys :)

I'm moving rusty up to a 3ft viv soon, but i'm faced with the dilemma of heat mat or light?
She'll be in a wooden viv, so I'd be able to drill etc..

If I go for light, would it be best just to have a UV-heat one with a guard? And that alone?
And if I was to go for a heatmat, what could I use as a light? (Would a red-light need a guard?)

Hopefully it'll all be ready tomorrow, so the sooner I get her heating setp, the better - but i'm stuck :( Any ideas?

Cheers ^^

1.1.0 Corn Snake - 'Jasper' & 'Storm'
0.0.1 Curly Hair Tarantula - 'Fluffy'
1.0.0 Border Collie - 'Chance'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - 'Alfie'
0.1.0 Tortoise - 'Lightning'
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - 'Charlie'

RIP Eddie :'(

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  20:29:40  Show Profile
Um...its personal choice really.

Corns dont need UV so I wouldnt bother with that. If you use a mat you can use any normal bulb for light, but if it gets warm I would put a guard on it.

You could go for a red bulb or a ceramic? (with guard and stat)

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  20:42:11  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Ty for your reply :P

If I went for a matt.. What would I cover it with? :S
And I could put in an energy saving or low wattage bulb with that? (So it doesn't overheat in there)

With a red bulb, would it be light enough to see her around at night? Or would I need to get an extra bulb?

Sorry for the questions :(

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  20:48:13  Show Profile
i just have a red light on 24/7 and no stress at all, a bulb will heat the air temp more than a mat as well

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  20:50:00  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
barrymc, do you just have the red light and a guard?
Also.. What wattage do you have?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  20:54:27  Show Profile
You dont have to cover a mat, substrate does the job, but if the snake burrows you will have to make sure the mat wont be to hot. some people put a few sheets of newspaper on the mat, then the substrate ontop of that.

If you wanted to put a light in aswell as the mat it would be fine.

Im not sure if a red bulb gives off enough light to see the snake at night.

Another thing to consider is a heat mat wouldnt raise the ambient temperature in a viv, only the surfaces it touches. A bulb would raise the ambient temp and create a basking spot.

Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  21:34:43  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
She does like to dig, that could be a problem :/

I'm leaning towards a red bulb.. Seeing her at night wouldn't be vital, as she is bright yellow and orange - so maybe easier to spot.. (Plus I can always turn the room light on)
But the only downsite to it is having to buy another thermostat :X (I just bought one for her faun heat mat)

Is a red bulb + dimmerstat a common choice? I just want her to be happy in her new viv.. with all the right temperatures :(

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  22:37:53  Show Profile
mine is always in the aspen, i have the red light with a guard and i can see all the viv at night, i have a 75w bulb and that gets to 30c easy

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket

Edited by - n/a on 25/02/2009 22:38:30
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  22:46:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I use a red bulb and dimmer and can see well enough.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  19:07:54  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage
i dont bother covering my heat mat with substrate as when my snake coils on it he just moves all the substrate off anyway so i have the heat mat exposed bare with the thermostat probe and temperature probe on it and the heat mat stays on at a guaranteed 85-86F

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  20:19:12  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Hmm.. So is it not dangerous to have her being able to sit on it?
Also, what do you use for light?
Becasue would a bulb + heatmat mix create too much heat? :S

Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  21:01:09  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage
the mat is running off a thermostat and the mats positioned under a hide so it wont get any higer than 86F under that log, i also use a heat bulb in the day time plugged straight into the mains that circulates heat around the viv and makes the cool end 70F otherwise it would be 60 to 65F up the cool end which is too cool. the bulbs a 60watt.

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Spedz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  22:43:26  Show Profile  Click to see Spedz's MSN Messenger address
Ah, ok.. So it's light + mat for daytime, and just mat during the night?
Do you use a dimmer with the light?

I'm leaning towards just the red light, as it would be easier then heatmat+lamp; and i've heard it's more beneficial towards them? (As they don't get disturbed by the bright light during the day) and that it can warm up the whole viv just on its own?)
I just want whats more beficial for the snake, and am willing to pay more for her to be happy :P

Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  13:16:14  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage
nah i dont use a dimmer with my heat bulb its plugged straight into the mains got a guard around it so snake would never be able to touch it. its only a 60watt bulb and it doesnt get warm enough to turn the viv into an oven,however i never have it on when im not at home and reply purely on the heat mat. the bulb makes the cool end of the viv 70F and i got a digital thermometer under the log on the warm end and it stays constantly at 85-86F. bulbs are good for warming up the air in the viv. but mats are good for warming up to a specific temperature your corn snake needs and it will coil up on the mat to warm up. my bulbs only on for about 6 to 7 hours a day bare in mind aswell heat bulbs will go pop from time to time when you go to turn them on and constantly will have to go down to the shop to get a new one if thats what you want to rely on mainly.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  16:25:02  Show Profile
I saw a product on a site which was a night LED, it illuminates the Viv and supposed to imitate the moon (you can't use a normal light though as the snake won't know when it's night). Because it's an LED it's only 1 watt and produces almost no heat. If you want something to create light to view at night could try that? I've got a red lightbulb in my Rankins Dragons viv for heat, it's on a stat but usually it's on at night unless the room is very warm. I can see everything in the viv with it on (and I've only replaced it once in 3 years odd). A guard is essential I think for a snake viv as they climb and will definitely burn themselves on a bare bulb. Matt vs bulb I think comes down to preference. It may be that your trying to save on energy bills so a matt is all you want, lighting is nice to view the viv and also heats the air so your snake could find a spot in the open rather then hiding. I'd always say to get a stat though as you can't control the temp outside the viv, you have a safety net with the stat.

Edited by - n/a on 27/02/2009 16:26:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000