New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  23:55:47  Show Profile
Hi Everybody,

I have had a corn snake for about 9 years, he is in very good health and is well provided for (clean water, substrate, feeding). Probably too well looked after food wise as he is quite large but has been the same way since I bought him from the age of about 3 years old. He is 5ft long from his last shed.

Recently I feel I dont get him out his viv enough, possibly only about once a week where he used to be out a lot more (every other day or so). I am not sure if this is enough for a corn snake and dont want him suffering mental anguish. I have considered finding a home for him but would be worried to give him to someone I didnt know in case they didnt look after him properly.

Do you think once a week is sufficient for a corn to be out or should I be looking for a new home ?

Paul

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  00:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Hiya Paulo, and welcome to the forum.

This could conceivably be one of those things where there are many answers, I personally think that provided he is still his normal self and hasn't become skittish or nervy, then depending on how long he is out and about for, once a week shouldn't be a problem.

He's a middle aged snake now, and like you said he has been well looked after, so why take the chance on someone else taking him?

Maybe take him out of the viv for 15 mins or so before feeding time as well, will break up the times, giving an average of 3 times a fortnight, so a little bit more than normal.

But likewise, if he's out an about for an 3/4 hour or so once a week, then i wouldn't have said he'd be suffering any problems.

If you're still concerned about mental anguish, throw in a couple toilet roll tubes, then take them out again 4 days later and move stuff around in his viv.
I've grown grass on small plastic trays in the past, to put in my vivs for a few days, just for a change.

you'd be amazed at how much time they'll spend exploring something new in their vivs, especially if they can hide in it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  08:05:52  Show Profile
I agree with Kehhlyr - he's obviously flourishing and well cared for, so he's probably perfectly happy with his life.

I was always under the impression that getting our snakes out was more for US than it was for them (and to get them used to us) - they certainly don't crave human companionship like say, a dog would.

However I think it's nice for him to have a break in his routine and the mental stimulation and exercise of exploring and time out of the viv.

Sounds like a lovely snake - ours is only about 14 inches and we're getting him out a few times a week (allowing rest after meals obviously) to get him used to us...

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  11:25:07  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
i like the sound of ya grass idea

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  13:12:49  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Hi paul,you sound like a very caring owner and it would be a shame to pass him onto some who wouldnt possibly look after him as well as you.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  13:37:58  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I agree- snakes don't really like us anyway- they tolerate being handled, but personally I don't think they are that bothered. Once a week should be alright to keep him tame.

Just as long as you have time to keep up with other general care, then that is more important really.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  15:42:33  Show Profile
Keeping him in a viv all week will not cause any mental anguish, infact most snakes would prefer that to daily handling. He sounds well cared for so continue as you are doing. I get mine out 1-2 times a week only, they are perfectly fine with that.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  18:17:20  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

i like the sound of ya grass idea

I've stuck some piccys in the photo section to show you how it looks.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  21:03:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i generally agree with everything said above BUT................. (ok i'm sticking my neck out here!)
a well fed, inactive snake that doesn't move around it's viv (either because it doesn't have room to move or because it doesn't feel the need) would be like us just vegging out eating and sitting in front of the telly permanently. if you have a big enough enclosure (length of viv + depth of viv = maximum length of snake) feed at varying intervals (to encourage him to hunt around the viv for a day or two before feeding to get some exercise) and provide him with some stimulation (like Kehhlyrs excellent idea of introducing new items to his viv) then his mental and physical requirements are likely to be met. so keep him!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000