snake not feeding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  16:13:13  Show Profile
i have a miami corn snake had it for a while, it ate good at first then it went into shed and hasnt eaten since i have tried various different ways to make him eat he is still very active his vivarium is at the right temp at a loss as what to do next any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  16:50:13  Show Profile
How long as it not eaten for? Try and leave it undisturbed for a few days and then try again, with a small iten initially. If it will not take it straight away, try leaving it in its viv or feeding box with the food (though make sure it will not ingest any wood substrate, not a problem if it is on paper sunstrate).

Good luck. It is a worry but they can go a while without food.

Is everything else as it should be? No signs of ill health, correct temps, plenty of hides etc?

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  17:00:28  Show Profile
hi thanks for that, there doesnt seem to be any ill health as i said he is quite active i have tried doing that but he isnt interested i have tried him on chicks mice baby rats i have put them all in hot water then cooled it off and given it to him but he just i have a tank that i put him when feeding but just wondering the tank that i feed him in my older boy has 2 bearded dragons and sometimes puts them in there when he is cleanig it out this started about the same time as he stopped eating could this be the problem
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  17:01:37  Show Profile
he has plenty of hides and he hasnt eaten 4 1/2 weeks
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  17:56:38  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Have you tried braining them? Or maybe letting them thaw naturally and warming them up with a hair dryer? (The water can wash off the scent)

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  18:45:29  Show Profile
The smell of the BDs may put him off. Try feeding elsewhere.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  20:14:30  Show Profile
thanks for suggestions have been having a think and maybe it could be the tank after having the BDs in as he only stopped eating after my oldest used it for the BDs
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  22:51:25  Show Profile
hi just to say have tried your suggestions he is still really active tried him with a mouse tonite his tongue was going like clappers had a sniff round it but then left it - i have heard about something you put on there lips not sure where does anyone know what this is or whether it is a wind up, my lad is starting to get a bit upset about it now as it is his snake
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  03:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
If yo9u've got some feeding tongs, or BBQ tongs, then try holding the mouse and jiggling it around a bit as well, especially when it's still warm.
It gives the affect of a 'live' mouse, and what snake in their right mind would refuse lovely fresh live mice??

Even after mine latch on to the mouse, I still jiggle it a bit more to make it seem that the mouse is putting up a fight.

The thing on their lips i believe refers to the act of putting some of the mouses warm innards or brain near the snakes mouth, to essetially show it that there's food there.
However I wouldn't yet put it on the snakes mouth, that's just asking to get tagged. , and until you've exhausted every other avenue, i'd leave that 'til last.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  11:48:40  Show Profile
hi, thanks for all your suggestions - my son had gone to our local pet shop to enquire after a female as he read the replies anyway the lad that works there keeps snakes and said that he could try with his female we took it in to him on saturday and i picked him up this morning the lad said that as soon as he introduced him to her they practicaly did the business so hopefully after a couple of days quiet i will try to feed him again fingers crossed
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  15:56:37  Show Profile
this might sound harsh but you can use the tweezers and hit the snake on the head with the mouse to make him agrevaited and strike it. when he tastes and thinks "yum mouse" he should lock on.

Unless. the person you got it from sexed him wrong, she could be a female and i've heard about this before. they develop these cheesy unfertillised eggs in her thus stopping eating/ thats how i think my albino went :( altho i cant be entirely sure. hope this helps. :D
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:14:56  Show Profile
Our corn can be a fussy eater... won't eat when in shed, or if you handle him a lot just prior to feeding.

Try ensuring the mice are warm (defrost throughout the day and then put on radiator to warm up just prior to feeding)... also try 'braining' the mouse (cut into its skull and tease some of the brain matter out... it gives the scent much better. Even doing these things, our corn can still take a while at times to feed, and other times he will stike and constrict with the whole length of him.

Be careful about banging the mouse against a snake and trying to annoy it enough to strike... this may stress them even more, and make them less likely to feed... it works both ways, dependant on the nature of the snake.

Hope you eventually have success!!... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:16:40  Show Profile
Mmm depends on the snakes nature totally. My carolina (Balboa - note the pun?)loves this as its really easy to annoy him and make him strike.
Keep us updated Lisa :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2009 :  21:09:07  Show Profile
Hey everyone thanks for all your suggestions well 2nite for the first time in nearly 3 months i think it is now he has eaten hooray he went for it straight away didnt have to do anything with the mouse as soon as son put it in tank that was it josh was nearly dancing round the room with joy josh said that the mouse had a bit of blood on his nose his snake sniffed it and pounced

Edited by - n/a on 30/03/2009 22:13:22
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  21:46:10  Show Profile
hi everyone just to let you know 2nite he ate again went for it straight away really pleased with him will take a picture of him and put it on here for you all to see him

Edited by - n/a on 02/04/2009 21:46:55
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  17:14:44  Show Profile
Mine is being just as stubborn now with eating. Hasn't eaten for 3 or 4 weeks now. She's as active as ever and drinking so I'm not overly concerned. I've tried wriggling the mouse around, which did get her interest but she didn't strike at it or try eating it. I've thrown so many mice away now. I thought corns were supposed to be pretty good eaters!

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  19:06:16  Show Profile
hi there, it took a bit of persuading him to eat we were offering him food every couple of days but just keep perservering there worth it
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000