Onto small mice?...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  15:54:20  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
Astra was hatched in July 08, and I'm just put a small mouse out to defrost for her. I'm not 100% sure if she'll be okay with it, but thickness wise, the small mouse is just about 1.5x the width of the widest part of the body.
Just to ask, at what age did you all put your corns onto small mice?

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Ozzy
0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake - Astra
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Zilly
0.0.1. - Sinaloan's Milksnake, Harley

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  16:12:35  Show Profile
It depends more on the width of the snake rather than age...If the mouse is the same as 1.5x the widest part of the snake's body it should be okay i think

How many pinkies has she been having?

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  16:42:09  Show Profile
I expect she will be fine. You would be suprised what they can fit down! But the best way is to gauge by the widest part of the snakes girth as Red rightly states. A food item no more than x1.5 this width is advised.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  17:49:15  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
You could try her with them, its rare a corn snake will attempt to eat something which it can't handle.
Best of luck ^^

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  20:40:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if you're feeding a bigger than usual meal it's probably worth increasing the number of days between feeds too, only by a day or so though

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  20:43:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Janos

at what age did you all put your corns onto small mice?

my 3 juveniles were all on small mice by the time they were a year old, i just can't remember how long before their birthday they moved up to them
the three of them varied in size quite a lot so red's guide of 1.5 times the thickest width of the snake's body is usually the recommended maximum.

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  21:47:01  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
Ah, okay, thanks everyone. I'm thinking I'll make it 8 days instead of seven for feeds. =)
I'm gonna have a meal myself then I'll give Astra her's and see what she makes of it.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  21:57:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
after a few feeds knock it back down to 7 days (after she's had time to adjust to her new sized meal)

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Hatchling

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  12:57:07  Show Profile  Click to see Janos's MSN Messenger address
Ah, shall do. Also, she ate the mouse fine. She did hesitate a bit, and bit the mouse on the sites and on the rear before finally settling on it's head and starting to eat.
Thanks everyone =)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000