Chameleons
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  00:35:48  Show Profile
I bought myself 2 Chameleons today, very excited. There only babies, it's the first time ive had Chameleons so i'm gonna need some advice in the near future as i dont have that much experience. I'm gonna let them settle first & then i can get some good pics of them so you can see how cute they are.

0.1.0 Amel Motley corn : CORAL
0.0.1 Ghost corn: CASPER
1.0.0 Royal Python: BLAZE
1.0.0 Yemen chameleon: CHONG
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: CLEO

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  08:48:14  Show Profile
sweet, cant wait for you to put some pics up, people on here are always getting news reps/amphibs and its making me jealous!!! i just dont have the space to keep more than one atm :(
what kind of chameleons are they? whats the setup like?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  10:21:47  Show Profile
Hope you did some research first and they weren't an impulse buy. Chameleons are pretty delicate creatures. Lovely animals though and all have their own personalities. I've got a 5 month old male Yemen myself :)

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.
Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  10:48:37  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
Very cool additions, Congrats.
Are you going to be keeping them seperatly when they're slightly older?
Veiled Chameleons are highly territorial. Although saying that, Marwell zoo have two together which seemed to get on fine?
Also do you know the sex of them?
If you have a female, you'll have to prepare for eggs.

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

75 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  14:20:07  Show Profile
Hi thats ssooo cool,good luck with them,i cant wait to see the pics i bet there really cute
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  16:03:37  Show Profile
Just a brief reply because i have to hurry for work

quote:
Originally posted by ViolentJ

Hope you did some research first and they weren't an impulse buy.

I have male & female Yemen
Ive done some research on them so I'm aware, knowing not to have more than 1 male & Ive read up all about females becoming egg bound without a male and also the care & temps. I'm still learning & finding them more & more interesting.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  17:01:02  Show Profile
As long as you know about UV, heat, water, food, dusting and plant requirements you shouldn't have much to worry about. If you're unsure on any of them then find out now, especially if they're young ones.

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.

Edited by - n/a on 19/02/2009 17:01:21
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2009 :  00:51:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ViolentJ

As long as you know about UV, heat, water, food, dusting and plant requirements you shouldn't have much to worry about. If you're unsure on any of them then find out now, especially if they're young ones.

I'm using UVB Repti glo 5.0 & i also have a Daylight spot 75w sun glo,i have them on for 12hrs a day. My temps reach around 90F during the day at the hottest part of the cage.At night the temps drop to around 78F.
For the water as I've learnt they rarely drink from their water dish so i spray the leaves few times a day obviously not too much to make the cage soaking wet & change the water dish everyday too. Oh and i make sure i used pre boiled water
Before feeding the Chameleons i put about 20 baby brown crickets & some small grated carrot in a tub with a bit of Nutrobal (calcium and vitamin supplement)...I love watching them use the long tongues to catch the food. They've both wondered the whole cage instead of just hiding which is good as they seem to be settling in quite well. I've also named them both cheech and chong.

Edited by - n/a on 20/02/2009 01:01:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2009 :  08:08:25  Show Profile
When you come to replace the UV look at getting a zoomed reptisun instead. They've been proven to be better than the competition. When your basking bulb dies you can save yourself a few quid by buying a normal household reflector/spotlight bulb. I'd suggest adding a dripper, they're only a few quid and means they can drink when they want and you don't need to boil it, normal tap water is fine. You don't need a water dish as chameleons rarely if ever drink standing water. Only use the nutrobal once a week, too much multivitamin is bad. Use pure calcium 6 days a week.

We need pics!

Edited by - n/a on 20/02/2009 08:11:43
Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2009 :  11:40:59  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
Or if you want to save a few quid on the dripper system.
You can use a small tub like an ice cream tub and peirce a tiiiny hole in it, fill it with water and you'll have nice steady flow of drips lol.
That is of course if your using a mesh top.

Oh and one more thing...Make sure you post some Photos

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  00:32:20  Show Profile
My first pics of the chams
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2467