Aeris, my baby beardie.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  13:07:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Just over a week ago, my missus caught the cat in the lounge with Aeris.
I left the lid partially open on the Viv, (as I usually do), but my missus when she walked out of the conservatory didn't shut the door.
She was talking to me by the front door whilst i was cleaning out snakes and 5 mins later the cat walked into the loiunge with Aeris in her mouth!!
I apologise if there are any cat lovers here, but to get her to open her mouth, I had to physically pin the cat down, and squeeze her body to make her release it.

When Aeris finally got out, she was not breathing, and was limp.
She had small cuts on her tail that were like bad scratches and that was it, no other marks.

I was unsure what to do to be honest, (apart from kick the cat), so just held her in my hands and opened her mouth and blew in. I blew a few times, then just gently rubbed her stomach.
After about 2 mins she started breathing again! Not very strong breathin, but it was there.
However there was no movement, and still limp body.

I kept her held inside my warmers for about 4 hours, with the odd drops of water from a cotton bud.
It was only the next day that she moved, and all she done then was opened her eyes, and tried to move her head.

I needed to get some meds into her though, so a quick mix up with her nutro and stuff into a very weak mix of Peach and strawberry squash and she lapped it up.

She was able to move her front legs and slight wiggle of back legs 5 days ago, and closer checks ruled out spinal damage due to cat, in favour of impaction.
She hadn't poo'd for 3 days, and the combination of nearly dying and then not being able to move had just blocked her up.
There was a small good sign, she was passing urinate, so her body was still functioning.
She poo'd yesterday, after a good few days of worry and fear and of being on nothing but calcified fuit juice and water with regular abdomen massage and warm baths.
In total, there was nearly 7 days she hadn't poo'd and I could see the bump on her spine and swelling starting in her back and her legs because of it.
When I got up this morning, she was moving around the tank!! She's got partial function in her back legs again.

I think i'm a bloody lucky person, and Aeris is lucky to be alive.
I'll get some piccys shortly, she's doing remarkably well.

In this you can clearly see some swelling on the real leg still.

It's hard to see in this piccy, but you can see what looks like indents in the tail, that's where the scratches are.

Spinal bump, due to the impaction.

Her looking a bit chipper:

I'm gonna give her a nice waxworm later I think.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 11/02/2009 13:30:39

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  14:48:27  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
She is lucky,you should of filled that tank with water when you had the chance You got to get rid of that cat phil.hopfuly she will make a full recovery

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

75 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  15:24:54  Show Profile
hi ive got a bearded aswell,hope shes ok after the cat attac?would you let me know please. take cair
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  11:04:15  Show Profile
I think that you & Aeris are very lucky!
Animals are more resiliant than we think though.
My cats got hold of Dante (my snake) about october time. Daniel (OH) didnt put the lock on the viv all the way to the glass. With the combined effects of Dante pushing from the inside, and Orpheus pulling from the outside, Dante got out. The cats then took her downstairs, hid under my dinning room table and playing with the nice wiggly worm. At first Daniel throught they had one of my hair bobbles, but and then after 10 mins of watching them playing around he saw the 'hair bobble' move.
I think he pooped himself!
He got the snake off them (they ran away when they saw his size 14s running at them) and bought her back upstairs.
I checked her over and there literally wasnt a single scratch on her.
She wasnt moving much, and i was quite upset thinking she would die of shock over night or something, but after a couple of hours, hiding under a log, she was back pushing against the glass!

The cats seem to have a taste for snake now, as whenever they sneak into the bedroom, they sit watching her viv. They also ate one of her sheds!

1.1.0 Corn Snakes: Dante & Hades
2.0.0 Cats: Orpheus & Dimitri
0.1.0 Dog: Sophie
0.0.1 GALS
1.0.0 Mexi Black - Lucifer
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  13:43:40  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
omg :O Lucky beardie!
And clever owner me thinks :)
My dog got hold of cooper once, but luckily i had let them get assosiated when he was a baby, so he jsut sat there with cooper climbing all over him :)

hope the little things ok!

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  18:49:12  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
Glad you got to her in time.
And great job you done with her :) Hope she's back to her normal self soon :)

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  18:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Down with Cats!

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  20:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
She seems fine now.
Still can't move one of her legs properly, and the swollen one is floppy, but she can move it.

She had a couple nice crickets about an hour ago, plus a bit fat waxworm with some strawberry and kiwi calcium juice to wash it down with.

She's online at the moment: http://Kehhlyr.camstreams.com

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  21:17:07  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Bloody Hell mate. That is one lucky beardie! Good job mate .

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  23:41:09  Show Profile
Aww Hope she's ok Kehhlyr

0.1.0 Amel Motley corn : CORAL
0.0.1 Ghost corn: CASPER
1.0.0 Royal Python: BLAZE
1.0.0 Yemen chameleon: CHONG
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: CLEO
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  10:37:57  Show Profile
Don't kick the cat... you'll only end up having to take it to vets!!!!

Glad to hear that Aeris is doing ok after your first aid and tlc though... hope the improvements keep going... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  11:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Jennet

I'll always think of one thing though:
To fix a cats broken leg costs around 500 quid. (sister-in-law has just done this)
To put a cat to sleep costs 48.

So, i could conceivably save just over 450 quid, AND save time and effort from me with driving to/from vets and vets spending time and effort.

So everyone should just remember that putting the cat to sleep costs less, AND saves on driving etc so it also reduces your 'carbon footprint'.

/me is not a great cat lover at the moment, sorry all that do.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  12:12:07  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by Jennet

I'll always think of one thing though:
To fix a cats broken leg costs around 500 quid. (sister-in-law has just done this)
To put a cat to sleep costs 48.

So, i could conceivably save just over 450 quid, AND save time and effort from me with driving to/from vets and vets spending time and effort.

So everyone should just remember that putting the cat to sleep costs less, AND saves on driving etc so it also reduces your 'carbon footprint'.

/me is not a great cat lover at the moment, sorry all that do.

LOL . You're not on your own feeling that way about the furry little killing machines. I wonder if it would have tried the same with a fully grown adult Bosc?

Edited by - Paulusworm on 15/02/2009 12:13:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000