Trouble with cut on tip of snakes tail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  23:09:08  Show Profile
My corn snake has recently got a fairly deep cut on the tip of her tail, it is causing difficulties with her shedding, meaning that on the tip of her tail the old skin remains, it seems to be caught on the cut and I'm worried about reopening it if we pull the skin off. I've tried soaking her in warm water for a fair while and rubbing it off but nothing seems to be working. could anyone think of any advice?

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  23:15:04  Show Profile
Firstly, has the cut healed fully, or is it still a scab? Have you tried puting her in a moist hide box with ventilation holes for a couple of hours and then gently using a cotton bud to try to work the skin loose?

The other thing that I have heard of for when gecko's have a bad shed, is using olive oil on the unshed parts to soften it.... hopefully GP or one of the others that knows much more than me will be able to help... Good luck.. J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  13:06:03  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
My snake Dawn had a cut on her head (Tape accident...NEVER use tape in a viv). I think you should leave it as Im sure it will come off properly on the next shed. The fact the skin is stuck where the wound is indicates it isn't fully healed and removing it may cause more damage.
Dawns old skin around the wound came off fine with her second shed and caused her no problems at all.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  21:04:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
in the bath, luke warm water (about 27-30*C) about the depth of your snake, for 10-20 mins. then gently wipe, not rub, with a flannel or tail. if this didn't work first time repeat it daily for a few days along with Jennet's suggestion of a damp hide in the viv. i wouldn't be too worried about getting stuck shed off from around the scab but it is important to get it off the tip of the tail. your snake might shed more frequently than normal as the injury heals.
did a vet see the injury when it happened?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000