20 long tank
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  01:28:02  Show Profile
Ive heard a few people suggest that 20 gallon long fish tanks are suitable for keeping adult corn snakes in, and i intended to use one. Then me and my grandad got thinking, what about ventilation? Are there problems with this? Any thoughts from you guys would be appreciated.

1.0.0 Okeetee corn (Emmet)

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  02:37:40  Show Profile
Well, I'm new to this myself, but providing you get a secure top with adequate ventilation then that should be fine. I believe the problem with glass is heating. You might have to use a guarded light rather then a heat mat. Also keep it away from windows as the glass could intensify the heat in the summer. But someone more experienced then me can probably give a better opinion

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  12:54:11  Show Profile
Prefer wood with glass doors myself, holds heat better and generally more secure I think??... You would need to ensure that any lid you used is absolutely securely fitted, otherwise an adult snake could quite easily lift the lid and get out... You can get specific mesh lids made to fit glass tanks somewhere out there... perhaps someone will be able to tell you the make or where to look... but try googling it... see what comes back.

Also, you would need to cover 3 sides to help make the snake feel secure...

Just a thought... need to check length and width of tank for idea of if its going to be right size... Ideal size for snake needs to be length x width = length of snake... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk

Edited by - Jennet on 01/02/2009 12:57:09
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  19:51:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
how big is a 20 gallon fish tank in feet/inches (or centimetres at a push!)?
the ventilation would have to be in the lid, the purpose built mesh ones are pretty damn expensive though. i was looking to convert my old 4ft fish tank (before building the 4ft stack) and what i was going to do was have sliding 5mm perspex doors on top, just like the sliding doors on the front of a conventional viv. the runners would have to be the deeper ones like are used for the top runner, and perspex is easier to drill holes in to provide ventilation.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  19:52:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Jennet

Ideal size for snake needs to be length x width = length of snake

make that length + depth of viv = max length of snake

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  16:42:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

what i was going to do was have sliding 5mm perspex doors on top, just like the sliding doors on the front of a conventional viv. the runners would have to be the deeper ones like are used for the top runner, and perspex is easier to drill holes in to provide ventilation.

Thats a good idea

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  16:58:36  Show Profile
i had a glass viv hand built for me a while back, but found it didnt hold heat very well at all. i was only using a heat mat though...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  12:07:04  Show Profile
After what you guys have said i think ill pay the exta £30 or so and buy a 3 foot wodden viv, thanks for the info guys!

1.0.0 Okeetee corn (Emmet)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000