Equipment for your snakey friend
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  18:10:26  Show Profile
I was looking at the exo terra website and I have some reptiles already so I know there is a lot of equipment out there. Does anyone have any recommendations of equipment they have found good or perhaps some negative experiences of things to bypass??

I was looking at the exo snake caves (the ones that come with moss) any good?

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  20:19:03  Show Profile
i use an exo terra viv, snake cave, heat mat and bulbs... it seems to be the best stuff out there, really natural looking... i also use reptile carpet as substrate coz its easy to clean and that...
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  21:49:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by animus

I was looking at the exo snake caves (the ones that come with moss) any good?

my juvie corns loved theirs but outgrew it quite quickly (small size) they loved it so much i went out and bought a 'large' for the adult corns............. and they NEVER go in theirs

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

77 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  22:06:49  Show Profile
i use them for my corns, they both love the small one(one each in seperate vivs of course)

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  23:17:16  Show Profile
ive got a medium one but am only using the 'lid' because Ramesses is only a nipper....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  23:25:47  Show Profile
Thats a good idea, get a medium one and just use the lid tell he's big enough

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  18:54:29  Show Profile
I rate exo terra stuff quite high, got their light starter unit amongst other things. There terranium backgrounds are nice too, although you have to cut them up to fit a viv.

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  21:16:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Mulv

I rate exo terra stuff quite highly

hmmmmm, the juvie corns seem just as thrilled with their new 99p seedling tray hides with an entry hole cut out.............. i now think E-T stuff is over-rated!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  07:51:17  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Exo-Terra stuff is brilliant. I use the thermometers and caves for my corn, royal and leos.

I've only used the terrariums and hygrometers for my bugs so can't comment on suitability for snakes.

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  12:43:38  Show Profile
I use the water dishes as they are heavy so don't tip over, and they look natural and that blends with the way I like the viv setup, but otherwise they are quite pricey... oh yeah... also use the mealie dish to keep the little blighters in for my frogs and new leo's ... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  16:44:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by Mulv

I rate exo terra stuff quite highly

hmmmmm, the juvie corns seem just as thrilled with their new 99p seedling tray hides with an entry hole cut out.............. i now think E-T stuff is over-rated!

That is also a fair point, most snakes seem to be happy whether its an old carton, or like a 7 quid ET hide, but I like to try and make my vivs look natural as poss, not at the mo though, wallet says 99p seedling tray is a better option lol!

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  16:55:23  Show Profile
I use exo water dishes in all the vivs except the boas, (i wish they did one big enough for them too) i've never had one tipped over yet and they just look nice. I have a couple of hides too but the snakes and lizards seam to like hides with abit more texture to rub against like the habba huts and coconut shells never see them use the exo ones really.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  18:43:43  Show Profile
i have a few loo roll holders cut in half, and 2 hides he does seem to go into the proper hides tho, but as he gets bigger im still going to use house hold items such as plastic butter containers etc, cheap easy to clean! and i dont think the snake cares as long as he can hide

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  16:46:18  Show Profile
Exo terra is good if you want a natural looking viv, but if your not bothered its a bit pricy. There are millions of household items you can use instead if your not bothered about looks.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  23:36:30  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Exo terra is good if you want a natural looking viv, but if your not bothered its a bit pricy. There are millions of household items you can use instead if your not bothered about looks.

I've got 2 hides that i've kept all the time, anything else just doesn't get used by the snakes, no matter what i try.
one of them is an old lunch box with a hole cut in, which they used as a nest box last year.
The other is the bottom of a hamster cage, with a couple rotastak tubes attached and a McDonalds tray on top, which has just had it's new grass seeding done on it, i'll get piccys up when it's grown.

So, looks tend to be second with me. (funny that)

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  11:05:40  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
pets at home fish tank stuff

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  17:17:11  Show Profile
I used some PVC pipes, a flower pot, cat food boxes for hides before and all went down well

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  11:53:50  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
We used to buy exo terra stuff when we only had 3- 4 snakes, now we have 10 so it's more likely we use whatever we find.

Toilet roll tubes and flower pots are vital mi'thinks, plus we use heavy casserole/lasagne dishes for water bowls as they are heavy, easy to clean and look nice too.

Jalosepeade even has a U-bend from under a sink. She loves it!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  21:09:48  Show Profile
i've just bought an exoterra cave with moss for kasey and she loves it!have only seen breif glimpses of her head since she got it so according to her they're great
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000