New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  10:59:24  Show Profile
Hi guys

I was going through my corns viv last night cleaning and i noticed on her poo there were these little insects. i checked the rest of the viv and my corn, they are no where else from what i could see. what are they?

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  11:06:07  Show Profile
Id presume there mites.. just check your Snakes body for them and try to get them off with a bath.. if you cant you can get treatment to get rid of them.. its a common problem and can lead to be quite serious if not takin care of

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  12:25:14  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Mites wouldnt be too interested in faeces but would be evident on your snake as tiny black pepper specks. Have you recently changed the substrate? Sometimes little insects live in there for a while and appear in the viv after a clean out.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  12:25:46  Show Profile
if they are mites then you'll need to clean and disinfect the whole cage and set up as well as treating the snake
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  20:56:21  Show Profile
i have changed the substrate a few weeks ago. they are not black they are i suppose khaki brownish green. i have looked at my corn and she does not have anything on her?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  21:02:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If they're on the faeces, they could be internal parasites?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  21:02:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
have you put any new wood in the viv recently, or bark? little critters love to hide in there then invade their new surroundings.
i'g give her a full clean out, use newspaper/kitchen towel for substrate for a few weeks and just have a basic set-up with plastic bowl and hides, so you can assess (and hopefully eradicate) the infestation over a week or two.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  21:58:31  Show Profile
yeah i put new bark in there a couple of weeks ago. but normally i get a few fruit flies or something. not these little khaki brownish green coloured insects. to me, and i looked all over, they only seemed to be on the poo. but i spose i could have missed them in the substrate. main thing is they arnt attached to my corn!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000