dosnt hide
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  19:24:13  Show Profile
kellogg my female normal dosnt hide much,she has a exo terra cave and she will go in there somtimes but most of the time she will be wrapped around the vine at the top.also she stays in the cool side most of the time.the temp on the hot side is about 68f. is this normal?

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  19:36:11  Show Profile
The temp on the HOT side is 68? You should be aiming for 84-86.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  20:16:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
does sound pretty cold, she might be getting a warmer draught where she's perched. i'd turn your thermostat up a fair bit!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  20:37:38  Show Profile
i should have said the thermostat is mounted on the outside of the viv about 3" above the heat mat.the vine where she stays is about 6" above the base and 6" below the light which is a twisted low enagey type.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  20:38:36  Show Profile
Yea my Hot side ranges from 83-90o F far too cold there :) No worries but.. wont do her harm, first time for everything :)

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  12:50:38  Show Profile
took some readings

inside over heat mat = 90f
inside on substrate = 79f
inside on cold side = 72f

do these sound ok?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  20:38:59  Show Profile
The top of the substrate on the warm end should be around 88f, it's measured from the substrate as that is where your corn is.

We had our thermometer mounted too high before and wondered why it never reached the right temp - it was actually too high but even an inch above the substrate and the temp reading isn't accurate.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  20:50:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
you could always try thinning the layer of substrate so more heat get through. what are you using?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  21:25:27  Show Profile
aspen
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  22:10:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it only needs to be about 0.5-1cm thick over the heatmat, people tend to put a really thick layer down so their snakes can burrow in it but it's an insulator so won't let the heat get through where you need it.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  23:02:46  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
As gp said,i had problems with heat getting through so only put a minimal amount under the warm end hide.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  08:40:16  Show Profile
thanks for all the replys but she dosnt use her cave which is right over the heat mat with about 3mm of aspen so it is is hot in there ,she prefers to be 6" above the aspen in her vine which is only about 65f.the only time i have seen her in the cave is when we first got her ,after she has eaten and when i put her back in after holding her,when i come down in the morning she will be up the vine or layed full lenth on the cold side.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  11:50:10  Show Profile
here are some pics

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

125 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  23:24:32  Show Profile
That's strange that she prefers it so far from the heated substrate... are you sure the temps are correct? You would think she was thermo-regulating (moving away when it's too hot), but if the temps are right then that doesn't explain it.

I was under the impression that when they had just eaten they liked to hide away as they were more vulnerable and also that they needed higher temps in order to digest the meal.

She also looks like she has blue eyes so is she coming up to shed?

Sorry I wasn't much help there!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

21 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  17:34:24  Show Profile
she does hide after she has fed,she was fed on saturday and is still in her cave.i am not worried just intreged.in the photo her eyes look blue but there not in real life.i got her on 10th dec 08 and she hasnt shed yet,she only eat for the first time on 31st dec 08.she looks bigger but still no sign of a shed.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  18:44:31  Show Profile
I've not seen much of Cassie since I bought her home yesterday. Keep on coming in to see if she is about but she has pretty much stayed hidden as far as I know. Had a heart attack this morning. Checked the hide she crept into yesterday and not there checked the other and not there either, Couldn't see any holes, lifted the box up and there she was, within the aspen, and there she has stayed. I'll give it another day before I handle her though to settle in.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000