Treats??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  19:51:28  Show Profile
Can you feed a young or old corn snake mealworms as a treat every now and then?

I would continue feeding mice, just thought that we like treats every now and then so why wouldn't our snakes?

A guy at work today said it would be ok if the snake takes them.

Are they best eaten dead or alive?

What are your feelings/thought about this?

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  20:03:08  Show Profile
I've never heared of it so wouldnt think it was a good idea. Some people on another forum once tried letting their corns have a go with a cricket to see what reaction but in most cases it wasnt recognised as food by the snake.

If I were you I would just give the snake a bit of variation while still feeding rodents, such as when feeding fuzzies go back to 2 pinkies for one feed. It will keep the snake interested. You can also vary the number of prey items, and the length between feeds.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

83 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  20:03:11  Show Profile
i have never heard of a corn eating mealworms i had a beardie that loved them but i think a snake would rather have a mouse

0.1.0 boxer dog ruby
0.0.1 snow corn rocket
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  20:24:44  Show Profile
Try to give a chick as a treat, I heard that snakes love em!

1 Royal Python: Draco
1 Corn Snake: Ember
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  20:26:33  Show Profile
Dy old chicks are bigger than you may think, the corn would need to be 4ft+ to take them.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  21:10:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
rat pups/weaners fed every now and again provide a bit of variety but no, not mealworms, they're unlikely to recognise them as food

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  23:07:28  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
sorry but mealworms??? not a snakes natural diet, they are more for lizards, if you go to a good reptile shop, they sometimes stock books about snakes, get one about corns and it will tell you most stuff about husbandry, and tell that guy in work if you jump out of an 8th floor window and flap your arms fast enough then you will fly

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  11:43:44  Show Profile
Sorry i forgot that wild hatchling corn snakes have a regular fresh supply of frozen/thawed pinkies!

Im pretty sure they do eat small lizards and even insects in the wild when they are young. (taken out of a book about corn snakes)
Perhaps i should refrain from asking such amatuer questions in the future!
I thought forums like this were for gaining information and sharing experiences?

Thanks for your input Saddleninja!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  12:34:32  Show Profile
I have heard of tiny snakes eating mealworms before. Dont think it was corns though i think it was uber tiny toothpick sized livebarers - too small to take a pinky.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  13:19:10  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Im unsure about mealworms. Ive heard for adult corns that chicks, rat weaners and eggs are great for an occasional treat. Some people even give them an occasional chicken breast. For a smaller snake you could try quail eggs if at room temperature however all of these treats will probly need to be scented with mouse before your snake will recognise them as food.
The only reason I would be unsure about mealworms is that they are quite chitinous (their exosketeton) which the snake may find hard to digest.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  20:46:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
is it handbags at dawn then???

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  23:06:31  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Okay, edited my own post because of what I wrote.

Seriously guys, lets not get to angered/emotional about this topic.

It's actually a good question:

Can snakes eat mealworms etc as a treat?

The answer is well answered by Ell. Well done for that by the way I didn't know that

Perhaps Saddleninja read it as feeding them mealworms as opposed to treats of mealworms, which looking through his posts that's what comes across.

My answer to this topic is:

Saddleninja assumed guy at work meant a diet of mealies, not just treats.

Gilesy337, you are right forums like this are for getting info and listening to other experiences.

It's unfortunate that this topic seems to be going a bit awy.

Sorry to both of you guys but incorrectly interpreting peoples posts is easy to do, (i have done it myself), but can we put this as a new 'experience' to us all please.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 24/01/2009 23:15:57
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  23:23:34  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Well said kehhlyr ,can we all be happy bunny's now

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  23:27:23  Show Profile
I really don't think corn snakes need variation in diet. A mouse contains all the nutrients they need, there is no need to alter their diet. Remember they do not have human feelings and we should not attach human behaviours on to their own natural behaviours. A snake in the wild will eat whatever rodent it finds first. It is not going to ignore a mouse because that is what it ate last week or the week before!

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  13:03:18  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Mancunian

I really don't think corn snakes need variation in diet. A mouse contains all the nutrients they need, there is no need to alter their diet. Remember they do not have human feelings and we should not attach human behaviours on to their own natural behaviours. A snake in the wild will eat whatever rodent it finds first. It is not going to ignore a mouse because that is what it ate last week or the week before!

I agree with you.

If you want to give the snake a treat, why not treat it to a new hide or some more foliage or something?

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000