Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  18:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I seem to be having problems with this batch of eggs, they just don't seem right.

The humidity in their 'incubator' is hovering around the 95% mark.
The temp fluctuates from between 80-85 degrees.
They are still a nice white colour, but they seem to be collapsing in on themselves, I've seen them do this, but not this much.
I'll get some piccys as well as soon as possible.

Likewise the Vermi is dampish, not to wet, not to dry.
I can't think what the hell is causing this, it may just be something that happens with clumped eggs, I don't know. I've never had clumpeds, but I wouldn't think it'd be any different to individual eggs.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  08:26:36  Show Profile
clumped eggs incubate just the same ill take a pick of a clump of 19 that ive had in the incubator for around a month later today but there are all 100% perfect. my clump is half burried in vermic and not just sat on top if that helps at all. have you candle them at all.

www.cornmorphs.webs.com www.southwestpythons.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  08:26:36  Show Profile
clumped eggs incubate just the same ill take a pick of a clump of 19 that ive had in the incubator for around a month later today but there are all 100% perfect. my clump is half burried in vermic and not just sat on top if that helps at all. have you candle them at all.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  14:51:44  Show Profile
heres the pics

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  14:51:44  Show Profile
heres the pics

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  19:23:19  Show Profile
Hope there ok...looks very wet in first pic bt im no expert so that is probably fine...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  19:23:19  Show Profile
Hope there ok...looks very wet in first pic bt im no expert so that is probably fine...
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  19:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I've found out what my problem is, A friend came over today to look, and it seems I had some 'dodgy vermi'. (his words)
Because of this, it was actually drawing the moisture OUT of the eggs!!
He spent about 3 hours separating the eggs. (i am, and so is he aware that this shouldn't be done)
He decided to do that for me, as a last resort because although the eggs looked duff now, he believes that some could still be okay, he just didn't recommend leaving them together, as the infected/rotten eggs would've eventually gone to the good ones, during incubation.
Unfortunately, it's now half 7, and everything is closed until monday, so they're in the incubator on and old damp cotton shirt at the moment, until I can get some new vermi.
The eggs have been candled, and most look ok, but the actuall egg itself looks duff, but I'll wait and see.
I'll get some pics of them ASAP to show you what i mean.

He said 'Your vermi is spot on, not to wet and nice and warm, but it looks like it's taking the moisture out of the eggs, you can see where the eggs have been in contact with it, they look rotted and withered, and it's starting to affect the good ones. I reckon that vermi was in an open bag in the shop storeroom or something, and something has gotten in to it.'

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the odd ones, but not keeping my hopes up.
Although when laid they were nice and smooth and white, the ones that had the most contact with the vermi have discoloured, and wrinkled up.
My eggs were partially buried in the vermi, so there was a lot of vermi contact

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  19:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I've found out what my problem is, A friend came over today to look, and it seems I had some 'dodgy vermi'. (his words)
Because of this, it was actually drawing the moisture OUT of the eggs!!
He spent about 3 hours separating the eggs. (i am, and so is he aware that this shouldn't be done)
He decided to do that for me, as a last resort because although the eggs looked duff now, he believes that some could still be okay, he just didn't recommend leaving them together, as the infected/rotten eggs would've eventually gone to the good ones, during incubation.
Unfortunately, it's now half 7, and everything is closed until monday, so they're in the incubator on and old damp cotton shirt at the moment, until I can get some new vermi.
The eggs have been candled, and most look ok, but the actuall egg itself looks duff, but I'll wait and see.
I'll get some pics of them ASAP to show you what i mean.

He said 'Your vermi is spot on, not to wet and nice and warm, but it looks like it's taking the moisture out of the eggs, you can see where the eggs have been in contact with it, they look rotted and withered, and it's starting to affect the good ones. I reckon that vermi was in an open bag in the shop storeroom or something, and something has gotten in to it.'

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the odd ones, but not keeping my hopes up.
Although when laid they were nice and smooth and white, the ones that had the most contact with the vermi have discoloured, and wrinkled up.
My eggs were partially buried in the vermi, so there was a lot of vermi contact

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  20:07:34  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
good luck

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2008 :  20:07:34  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
good luck

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  01:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Mine still are not looking good, but they have swollen up a bit more now since removing them from my dodgy vermi.
I have more time tomorrow, I should be able to get some piccys.
Got another reason to find more as soon as possible as well, my male seems to have actually done the trick properly this time, my other female looks like she is carrying as well.

There must be something in the air, from what I was led to believe from the previous owners, neither females have produced for a few years, even though they've always been housed together.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 28/04/2008 01:20:06
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  01:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Mine still are not looking good, but they have swollen up a bit more now since removing them from my dodgy vermi.
I have more time tomorrow, I should be able to get some piccys.
Got another reason to find more as soon as possible as well, my male seems to have actually done the trick properly this time, my other female looks like she is carrying as well.

There must be something in the air, from what I was led to believe from the previous owners, neither females have produced for a few years, even though they've always been housed together.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 28/04/2008 01:20:06
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  09:12:37  Show Profile
keep us posted ive never had bad vermic before maybe im just lucky cus i have to say im abit tight and tend you use the same stuff for a few years lol.

hi Jac_mac eggs are just fine i put the top pic in to give an indecation of humidity, some people put something like a dust mask over the eggs if they are worried about drips but i dont seem to have that problem the only time it tends to drip is when i move the tub so i lift the lid give it a wipe over making sure all the water goes back in the vermic so i know im not losing any and use a bit of tisses to soak up the water from a drip, if it has driped on the egg. you can see from the eggs they are nice and dry.
cheers

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  09:12:37  Show Profile
keep us posted ive never had bad vermic before maybe im just lucky cus i have to say im abit tight and tend you use the same stuff for a few years lol.

hi Jac_mac eggs are just fine i put the top pic in to give an indecation of humidity, some people put something like a dust mask over the eggs if they are worried about drips but i dont seem to have that problem the only time it tends to drip is when i move the tub so i lift the lid give it a wipe over making sure all the water goes back in the vermic so i know im not losing any and use a bit of tisses to soak up the water from a drip, if it has driped on the egg. you can see from the eggs they are nice and dry.
cheers

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  20:35:09  Show Profile
Kwl, cheers
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  20:35:09  Show Profile
Kwl, cheers
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  02:43:31  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
pics of devastatingly ruined and wrecked eggs now.
They are still on the shirt, because NO reptile shop within 10 miles of me, there are 5, has ANY vermi in. I'm gonna end up getting freeze dried spag moss from garden centre, or risk pulling some up out of the forest.

Some of the eggs have swollen back up nicely, and 2 of the ones I thought had completely had it have started to swell up again but look awful, they have been candled and seem to be healthy inside, but I'm not sure whether or not to let them continue, because I don't want to run the risk of bringing poorly and/or deformed hatchlings into this world, it's just cruel.

I am absolutely devastated with what has happened to these eggs, I've never seen anything like it, i'm actually ashamed to show these.

This is their newer Incubator, running double wet, to keep the humidity nice and high.
Although it doesn't look very humid in here, i had only had the internal lid on for about half an hour.

egg numbers 1,2,3,4,5 are good and are improving.
numbers 6,7,8 look like slugs/rotten, but have candled ok and are swelling back up nicely as well.
the batch marked 9 are good, apart from the one on the right.
10 and 11 have been BADLY infected.
12 looked like it was improving, but as you can see from the photo, it has actually started going MOULDY.

Now you can understand why i said i feel ashamed for the state of these.
I'm gonna also try to chase up about my dodgy vermi. That shop has closed down now, funny that.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  02:43:31  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
pics of devastatingly ruined and wrecked eggs now.
They are still on the shirt, because NO reptile shop within 10 miles of me, there are 5, has ANY vermi in. I'm gonna end up getting freeze dried spag moss from garden centre, or risk pulling some up out of the forest.

Some of the eggs have swollen back up nicely, and 2 of the ones I thought had completely had it have started to swell up again but look awful, they have been candled and seem to be healthy inside, but I'm not sure whether or not to let them continue, because I don't want to run the risk of bringing poorly and/or deformed hatchlings into this world, it's just cruel.

I am absolutely devastated with what has happened to these eggs, I've never seen anything like it, i'm actually ashamed to show these.

This is their newer Incubator, running double wet, to keep the humidity nice and high.
Although it doesn't look very humid in here, i had only had the internal lid on for about half an hour.

egg numbers 1,2,3,4,5 are good and are improving.
numbers 6,7,8 look like slugs/rotten, but have candled ok and are swelling back up nicely as well.
the batch marked 9 are good, apart from the one on the right.
10 and 11 have been BADLY infected.
12 looked like it was improving, but as you can see from the photo, it has actually started going MOULDY.

Now you can understand why i said i feel ashamed for the state of these.
I'm gonna also try to chase up about my dodgy vermi. That shop has closed down now, funny that.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  10:02:06  Show Profile
hi dont feel ashamed we all know you are doing your best, and i think the damp jumper idea is a great one for a temporary one. moss works well but im sure last time i picked up vermic and perlite it was from a garden center i think its main use is to add air into the soil or something so you might get it there. they say that ble or green moulds are useally a sign of a dying egg, i have not tried this but some people have saved green/blue mouldy eggs with athletes foot powder so it might be worth a shot on that egg. some still look a little dehyrated misting them directly with water the same temp as the incubator is a good way to boust them back, i have tried this and it worked just a fine mist so that they can asorbe some moisture quickly. i would also put all the best looking ones over one side away from the worse looking ones. ill keep my fingers crossed for you and as i said dont feel ashamed you are going out of your way to do whats best no-one can ask more than that.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  10:02:06  Show Profile
hi dont feel ashamed we all know you are doing your best, and i think the damp jumper idea is a great one for a temporary one. moss works well but im sure last time i picked up vermic and perlite it was from a garden center i think its main use is to add air into the soil or something so you might get it there. they say that ble or green moulds are useally a sign of a dying egg, i have not tried this but some people have saved green/blue mouldy eggs with athletes foot powder so it might be worth a shot on that egg. some still look a little dehyrated misting them directly with water the same temp as the incubator is a good way to boust them back, i have tried this and it worked just a fine mist so that they can asorbe some moisture quickly. i would also put all the best looking ones over one side away from the worse looking ones. ill keep my fingers crossed for you and as i said dont feel ashamed you are going out of your way to do whats best no-one can ask more than that.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000