R.I.P 'Sauce'
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  02:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
My lovely duck died last night, at the young age of 8 weeks, 5 days.

I was working in the garage on the car last week, and the ducks were in their pen at the back of the garage, and a fox snuck in behind me.
I heard the ducks going nuts, looked up and saw the fox with Sauce in it's mouth. The fox couldn't escape with the duck, and let go of it when my size 11's kicked it smack on in the ribs. (apologies if anyone likes foxes, but I've got a trap i'm gonna try)

Sauce survived it, but was a bit shaken and had a couple puncture wounds on her neck/back/chest, So i brought her back into the house.
She recovered amazingly well, considering for the first 2 days she couldn't eat or drink, she only ended up losing her quack.

When she was strong enough I put her back into the pen with the rest of the ducks, that was 2 nights ago, she was still a little weak but was getting back to normal.
Then last night the other 3 ducks decided to pick on her because she was weak, and they killed her!!

She survived a fox attack, only to go back with the other ducks and get killed by her sisters.
She was my fave duck as well, always the way.

However, on the plus side she's a nice fat duck and has been in the cold store. But the missus wont let me put her into a baking tray, I'm wondering why she thinks i wanted ducks now.

I'll get the bloody fox though, even if i have to bait it with the other ducks.
The fox scaled a near 8foot fence to get away from me when i got it as well, didn't realise they were that proficient at climbing.

Baby Sauce.

Kissing daddy Sauce.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 20/01/2009 02:36:22

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  06:39:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
RIP Sauce

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  09:10:25  Show Profile
Awww i'm sorry Kehhlyr
I never ducks would do that to each other though. Im quite shocked!

1.1.0 Corn Snakes: Dante & Hades
2.0.0 Cats: Orpheus & Dimitri
0.1.0 Dog: Sophie
0.0.1 GALS
1.0.0 Mexi Black - Lucifer
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  09:11:51  Show Profile
Aww thats so sad

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  11:31:56  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Daww poor little Sauce :(
Foxes are very very cunning and bare in mind that if it can't get over your fence, it can get under it.
Theyve also been known to dig from a bit away and burrow right up under coops :/

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  16:10:18  Show Profile
Sorry kehhlyr. Its a shame R.I.P

Good luck getting the fox but try and be humane with it

Edited by - matty18714 on 20/01/2009 16:10:40
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  19:55:41  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
sorry to hear that mate.Dont seem right to survive a fox then to be done by the family

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  20:08:43  Show Profile
R.I.P Sauce

We lost three chickens to a fox when they were 16 weeks old and it was very sad - the coop was protected above ground (fencing, roof etc) but fox burrowed underneath...we learned from our mistakes and dug down a foundation, and our three remaining adult girls are now locked in their wooden house at night.

Good luck with catching the fox.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  20:44:51  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
oh Kehhlyr, so sorry to hear about Sauce *hugs*

all these people that think foxes are cute, fluffy and innocent don't know the half of it!! bring back hunting!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  07:27:36  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

oh Kehhlyr, so sorry to hear about Sauce *hugs*

all these people that think foxes are cute, fluffy and innocent don't know the half of it!! bring back hunting!!!

I second that. Little red furred ba****ds!! Bearing in mind that 98% of foxes escaped from the hunt, I don't see what the problem is with the whole concept of hunting. I guess it's the power of the media again.

Edited by - Paulusworm on 21/01/2009 07:28:23
Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  12:42:37  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Sorry Kehhlyr, R.I.P Sauce

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  14:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Poor sauce! Nasty sister ducks!

I know foxes are awful in reality, but I did like it in Roald Dahl's story when that fox got the better of those farmers. He was so.... fantastic

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  17:59:09  Show Profile
awwwww... really sorry to hear that Kehhlyr. Lovin the pic of her giving you a sloppy kiss tho'....

On another tack.. shame the OH has a problem with the oven... however,I was never know to be a girly girl, and even I found I could not eat any of the chickens we kept that I had to feed years ago.... even the bloody rooster that used to attack me every time I went into the pen..

RIP little sauce

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk

Edited by - Jennet on 21/01/2009 18:00:07
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  19:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I don't have a problem with them digging under the coop, i have tarmac outside, and the night time lock-up is a 8mm thick soft vinyl with the straw and hay, plus they have one of my old vivs they sleep in at night.

In regards being humane to the fox, I'm assuming electrocution is humane. I'm currently making a 440v 36amp mains electric strips to go around the coop. That'll do it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  20:47:17  Show Profile
aww...

1 Royal Python: Draco
1 Corn Snake: Ember
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked