New viv for beardies. PIC HEAVY!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  02:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Decided to dust off my TV stand today and turn it into a viv for my 2 beardies.
It was a fish tank many moons ago, it's part way through Viv conversion now.

Piccys of Beardies that will live in it:

Aeris, my first baby is the one one my index finger in all the pics.
The second one, still with no name is closer towards my pinky finger.
The second one, if you look closely has a bit of a deformed rear left foot, it's been like this since i 'acquired' her. Due to bites from other beardies??

Now the Viv.

It's got the main bits in, tube light, basking light, heatmat and basic decor so far.
Will be adding more ovr the next week or so.
No UVB lamp in there at the moment, as i'll do that last thing, because when they move into it, i'll take lamp from old viv.

The complete unit with both light fittings on.

With just basking lamp turned on.

With lamp turned on where UVB will be.

My boat!!

Looking down the length of the tank.

I'm using a weed-stop fabric at the bottom of the Viv, it's great £10 for a 20 foot x 4 foot roll from Stewarts Garden centre.
Recommend that stuff, it's thin, easy to cut to size and you get loads of it for the price. I've also put it all around the back and one side on the outside as well, i'll be putting some up on the inside as well, to let my ivy catch on to it.
Got to make a couple of fake trees yet, plus add more odds n sods.

So far all it has cost me is a the tenner for the weed stuff. The rest of it i had lying around spare, problem is that i'm gonna have another viv empty soon......

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  15:14:28  Show Profile
An empty viv? What's that?

Your set up looks great - you might want to get some rough branches in there too. Little 'uns love to climb, and it keeps their claws from getting too sharp.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  14:58:02  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Are they pirates? They sunk a ship!

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  16:23:03  Show Profile
Awww... liccle lovvies... and I'm not sure you will ever have an 'empty viv' ... too good at conversions by half... lol... good luck and keep us posted!

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

608 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  20:33:38  Show Profile
aww there beautiful. Id love to breed my female next year. She a citrus bearded dragon i found out after her shed. Beautiful babys. I remember when mine was that small

1.1.0 Dog
2.1.0 Cat
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
R.I.P WINNIE 7.7.08 - 29.8.09
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  01:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Are they pirates? They sunk a ship!

That boat has been in that tank for about 3 years, it's had fish, turtles, snakes and even a lobster in it, but the position of the boat hasn't changed much.

It's a lot paler than it used to be though, it's been boiled and baked a few times now.

Still not got anything more done on it yet, been looking for a suitable bit of wood, i'm being picky on what it looks like.

I know adult beardies can go on sand, but can anyone tell me about babys.
I've only ever had adults in the past, and they were short term fosters more than anything.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

608 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  18:00:38  Show Profile
Well i kept my baby on kitchen roll for a month or so but then i got advised by a local shop to move her to sand. In a shop i saw three beardies on fine fish gravel. Don't think it was a good idea but they do what they do. Mine is on sand at the moment and she is 7 months old now.

1.1.0 Dog
2.1.0 Cat
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  18:35:24  Show Profile
Sand is an ongoing debate with all lizards, i keep my beardies on bark chippings the dry paler ones not the darker damp ones. Never has a problem and it's what my local rep shop use too.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  23:38:50  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
The sand thing brings me to another thing...
What about 'no more nails' or similar?

I was thinking about stuff to make for the viv and can't do things the easy way so i thought about covering the bottom of a paint roller tray in no more nails, then covering it in sand.

Hopefully the effect it would give would be a nice big sand/stone looking basking area.

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  13:07:13  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
Nice set up, Kehhlyr.
Love the sunken ship

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

608 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  14:54:02  Show Profile
I dont know about the 'No more Nails' but people us PVA glue for it because there are no harmful chemicals

1.1.0 Dog
2.1.0 Cat
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  15:55:00  Show Profile
Not sure about the no nails but a real rock is better for a basking spot coz they retain the heat. Beardies absorb heat through the thinner shin on their bellies too when they bask. Just a nice big pebble from the Watchet beach is what ripple has.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  19:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I've got some stones and a nice brick ready to in, i just wanted to make something for the viv.
I'm still looking for a suitable bit of wood as well.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  02:11:45  Show Profile
I have a 3rd of my viv covered with sand and 2 3rds with corn cob granules, I've had it that was since I first got my rankins dragons as babies. I always feed from the granules side and the water is on that side too (cold end). It's cheaper then buying lots of sand, which is in the hot end to retain heat and the dragons apparently can digest corn granules if eaten better then sand.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000