Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2009 :  23:08:31  Show Profile
Hi there i have a roughly 6 month old corn snake
it was force fed with Pinkie tails from a hatchling/first shed by its breeder and now even at roughly 6 month old (cant remember exactly how old he/she is)it will not eat on its own i still have to force feed tails and i have been told today by a reptile supplier/owner that just tails are not enough nourishment for it, and the words she said shove the snake in a freezer(kill it) as it will be a pain in the reer end, and will never feed naturally and i will still be force feeding a 4foot+ adult snake.
I am really stuck as to what i can or am supposed to do now as i have tried braining, and just leaving thawed pinkie in viv and seperate box and it just aint entertaining them.
Someone PLEASE help me

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  00:33:00  Show Profile
I honestly dont know what to say about that.. i aint had that Problem with mine but maybe someone else can help..

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  01:15:30  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Im probly going to get told off for suggesting it but if you have tried every other option,what about a live pinky.I personly have never heard of feeding tails,how about leaving him for a week or two to get over the stress of being force fed all the time then give it another go,im sure some one will be along with the right advise soon.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  06:40:11  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hello, please don't put it in the freezer, it used to be thought of as a painless death, but actually its horrific.

Tails alone won't be enough to sustain it for much longer I would have thought. Do you use Critical Care or anything like that in the water? Have you tried a pinky head rather than tail?

If you can cope with live feeding its certainly something I'd try.

Where do you live?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  09:42:47  Show Profile
I dont give nothing in the water should i be doing?
I live in Halifax West Yorkshire.
I have not tried live feed, didnt think it was allowed. and i wouldnt know where to perchase live ones with out shop realising what i want them 4. Surely they wouldnt sell live babies.
Can full pinkies be force fed without harming snake?
I left the snake for over a week as i was unable to get any pinkies and last night i put the snake and 2 pinkies (Brained) in the tub and left it over night and still nothing but the pinkies had turned to jelly and he was covered in mouse/pinkie mess eeeewwww
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  09:56:47  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
have you tryed teasing you snake with a pinkie to agitate it abit to make it angry an fight back

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  10:08:40  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
oh critical care is like a neutritional supliment kinda stuff, ya snake will absorb it when it has a drink and it is suposed to help then regain an appetite, its used alot on gekos etc an people have seen improvements in there animals within a day

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  12:57:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
pinky tails are quite often used to start non-feeders feeding but don't provide enough nutrition.
feeding live is legal within specific welfare guidelines. a tiny live pinkie won't be able to inflict much damage which is one of the (many) reasons live feeding is recommended as a last resort only.
before going down that route check your set-up is correct and not causing the snake further stress or anxiety, the temps are correct, the food item is appropriately sized (if buying from a local petshop you can ask for the smallest pinkies they have)and is suitable warm (some snakes won't fed on cold or cool prey item). as well as braining you can try scenting with various things such as chicks, gerbils or lizards, offering chick thighs (BE's favourite ) leaving the snake overnight in a small tub with airholes with the prey item.
there's a few of us in the Yorkshire area that are very experienced, feel free to contact us direct

like BE said, just DON'T put it in the freezer! BTW just out of curiosity, is it a fancy morph? you rarely hear about the more natural corns eg. Carolina's having these eating issues

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  13:20:29  Show Profile
Just to back up previous comments, dont ever put a snake in the freezer. Worst possible way to euthanise, short of torture.

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  16:11:03  Show Profile
Does it show any interest in the food atall?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  18:27:18  Show Profile
i will try send a picture on here if i can work out how to do it lol,

what are correct temps etc,

It doesnt show any interest at all in my eyes looks to cuddle it more like.

I put it in a small jelly been tub with air holes last night with 2 brained warm pinkies and they were still there this morning, i have also tried following the snake round with warm brained pinky and totally ignores it.

I got the snake from a friend of my dad who has managed quite a few batches successfully, one there are 3 snakes in the tank of the parents and were not sure which is dad, mum is red but babys brown there is brown and albino in tank with mum but not sure if both others are male or male and female.(i will see if i can get pics of possible parents too) i`m not sure if the one i think fathered the batch is not corn it used to be my snake but it was very untame and i dont think he/she was corn its, 5`4 like a dark brown and yellow/gold but i dont think looks like corn markings.

Thank You so much for all the help please keep it coming, its great help:)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  20:22:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
temp should be about 30*C at the warm end, the cool end will be ambient/room temperature.
are you able to a pic of the viv/faunarium and dimensions too?

following the snake around with the pinky might scare it (silly i know!) tail tapping can sometimes work - just very gently and rhythmically tapping the snake's tail with the mouse until it gets so p'ed off it strikes at it, then discovers it's actually tasty food!

mum sounds like an amel, dad could be either a caramel or normal, or a snow if it was the other male. this is just guessing from the brief descriptions, they're not the high-end morphs that are more prone to feeding issues.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  20:23:50  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
oh, and there's a 'sticky' topic somewhere about how to post pictures using photobucket

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  21:20:30  Show Profile
going to attempt to post pics now hope that it works
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  21:21:25  Show Profile

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 25/01/2009 14:09:04
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  21:24:33  Show Profile
1st pic is the problem none eater same with second the final 2 are of mummy(red) and possible dads, brown one and albino(just going off pic on right)
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  21:45:00  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Mulv

Just to back up previous comments, dont ever put a snake in the freezer. Worst possible way to euthanise, short of torture.

Ditto. We do it with insects at uni but their nervous system/brain is nowhere near as highly developed as that of a reptile. I would definately not recommend freezing as a method of euthanasia for any higher form of vertebrate organism.

As someone posted earlier, have you tried annoying the hell out of your snake with the pinkie. Eventually they strike and then once it's in their mouth the realise that it tastes nice. I usually have my royal's food performing musical numbers from The Muppet Show/Sesame Street before he eventually takes it

Good luck

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  07:58:57  Show Profile
Ditto. (Love that word)
There are often mini can-cans done but mice and rats alike in my spare room, put on quite a show til the gory end

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  09:12:58  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Mum's a Miami, Dad looks like a Snow or something that isn't a corn?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  16:02:38  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Well- I don't think I would be using that reptile supplier/owner again if that's the advise they give. It might end up being a pain in the rear end, but it's still a living creature and deserves a chance at life if at all possible.

Try doing what you are doing with the mouse tails with the smallest pinkies you can find. Or try another prey item to see if it will prefer them.

If all else fails, try live feeding and if after that you really can't get him eating, then rehoming to an experienced keeper would be better than killing it.

You seem to be trying really hard though so keep persevering. I'm sure you will get lucky eventually

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  11:23:50  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
you had any luck yet jaquiline

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000