Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  14:25:05  Show Profile
guys i was watching a snake programme on nat geo channel and it was about the largest snakes etc...

well it was on about retics and how in malaysia they were enering peoples houses cos of the city expansion in to there natural habitat etc...

very interesting....

anyway, it showed how one retic had tried to eat a human but got stuck on it shoulders (apparantly if the guy was laid on his side the snake could have got over the shoulders). a local cop who was looking for the guy who was reported missing, killed it.

http://arachnophiliac.info/burrow/oddities_man_eating_snakes.htm

my points is, how can a animal such as the retic python be allowed to be sold in any reptile shop, and purchased by anyone without the need for a DWA license or similar. when they are known to be aggressive and possilbly man eating snakes, who could quite easily take on a small child???

sorry to waffle

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  14:57:26  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it's truely scary what anyone can buy from some petshops, the only requisite is that they can pay for it! i believe the DWA only covers venomous (correct me if i'm wrong though!) but yes, the big contrictors pose their own threat. the 'retic owner' is relied upon to take appropriate measures to safeguard everyone's safety (and that of animals/pets) and TBH there's some people i really wouldn't trust to do that.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  15:28:40  Show Profile
I agree its crazy what people can go and buy in pet shops, and there are too few pet shops that check the owner to-be is clued up enough. From what i hear, and think, a retic/burm could eat a small built man, but not having seen either of those snakes in the flesh means its just my thinking.

Edited by - matty18714 on 09/11/2008 16:41:57
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  16:41:28  Show Profile
The recent increase in popularity of very large snakes concerns me. I know there are many reponsible large snake owners out there and thats fine by me, but it now seems any old punter can go and purchase a young Reticulated or Burmese python for around a £100. I seriously doubt some customers have any idea what they are letting themselves in for. I am concerned for:

the welfare of the snakes

the safety of the inexperienced owners and their families (one US woman was killed by her large snake recently)

the safety of the public when these snakes are abandoned once they get unmanageable (and trust me, some will be released)

the pressure that will be placed on reptile rescue centres (finding a home for a 20 foot python is not as easy as rehoming a Cornsnake)

the reputation of responsible reptile owners once scare stories hit the press and trigger mass media hysteria (as most news stories have a tendency to do these days)

One answer may be to include these snakes under DWA regulations but that places restrictions on responsible owners. As DWA legislation has just been reviewd I doubt this will happen in the near future.

Do any members on here have large snakes? Several do on RFUK but they seen the responsible kind of owner. Not spure of the moment purchasers or punters who see a big snake as an extension of their manhood!! I can't see the appeal of large snakes myself, but then again, Corns arn't for everyone either.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  16:44:27  Show Profile
I can understand why people would want a large snake, but I wouldnt go any bigger than a common boa myself.

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  18:08:21  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
If you have the ability to look after it safely I don't see a problem. However when people have an animal for a few years they tend to forget that it can be dangerous and in some cases loose respect for the animal.
quote:
Do any members on here have large snakes?

I know Mark has a burm.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

157 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  18:08:58  Show Profile
i think anything over 10foot is too big, after that its going to get to heavy to handle and going to need free roam of the house to get exercise, wouldnt like to keep something 10foot plus in any size viv

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  23:00:22  Show Profile
DWA licence only covers venomous snakes at present according to my local council, as they said something about there isnt legitimate proof a large snake is dangerous to a person. I have even seen rattlesnakes on pet listings, even though they have had the venom sac removed they are still on under the DWA. My personal opinion on large snakes, is that if you have done all the research possible on the certain type of large snake. And you are more than aware the size and everything else and can provide suitable space and fulfil the requirements of what the snake needs then i dont have a problem with people like that having them. What concerns me the most is when people who dont do thier homework and go buy a 15 foot boa, burmese, retic python or anaconda. And end up either dumping them somewhere as they cant cope anymore or there is an accidental death. Which the groups against pet ownership use to back up thier view. My personal opinion is that i think it is good to have them as pets, as i heard from my doctor the more you are exposed to reptiles the stronger tolerance you have against salmonella. That doesnt mean its ok to drink dodgy milk though lol. Plus we also learn about them (plus putting one around you neck when answering a door to a salesmen and getting priceless reactions and them leaving you alone), plus as some members on this forum have mentioned about the dumerils boa (correct me if i am wrong) having dangerous number in the wild. But if they are in captivity or as pets at least you have a better chance of maintaining the survival of certain snake species should they ever become extinct in the wild.

Edited by - n/a on 09/11/2008 23:03:30
Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  23:11:29  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address
This really worries me.
The amount of people keeping Burms, Retics, Afrocks even green anacondas now, its insane.
I know there are many responsible keepers but i dont like to think how many irresponsible keepers there are too.
The same applies for monitor lizards!

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  23:36:11  Show Profile
Some people might disagree with me on this, but i think there should be some sort of regulation to stop people from doing this. What worries me the most is one of my local pet shops is selling snapping turtles and false water cobras to anybody. Without caring about the circumstances of what could happen after.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  06:17:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
FWC's are rear-fanged and only have a 'mild' (you'd still know about it) venom, hence them not being DWA.

There's been a lot of talk about large snakes going onto the DWA list for quite some time now, but as Manc said above, the list was only reviewed last year (with Mangroves taken off), so its unlikely to be updated again in the near future.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  08:06:12  Show Profile
Oh right okies, thanks for that BE. After seeing the damage a FWC could do, i wondered whether they were or not. It is a shame that not much can be done to stop ignorant people from getting animals that they know they cant take care of properly, reptile or anything else.

Edited by - n/a on 10/11/2008 08:11:22
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  10:29:19  Show Profile
Last week (half term week) there was a table set up in my local shopping centre full of reptiles (geckos, corn snake, milk snake, king snake etc). What really upset me was the man giving the talk (if you can call it that), was sat on on of them folding chairs, with a 6-7ft burm wrapped around him. There were loads of little kids touching it and getting right in its face etc. He gave the snake about 2 ft of its neck for free roam, and i was terrified! It could have turned on these little kids (and i mean not one of them looked over 7) at any given moment. The bloke had no respect for it, letting all these kids just poke it. I saw one kid poke it in the eye

What really made me angry is that this bloke knew nothing about the reptiles (i asked him questions) yet he was 1) allowed this massive snake & 2) allowed it in a public shopping centre. At one point all the children started asking me questions, when i answered a little girls one about the burms tounge. I couldnt answer them as im no expert, and all i have is a corn, yet i could answer alot more than this supposed 'expert'

So my massive rant means, people like that idiot shouldnt be allowed snakes that could turn on you, if you dont respect them.

PLUS there was NO heat mats for any of the animals, and they were there ALL afternoon, from 10 - 5.

1.1.0 Corn Snakes: Dante & Hades
2.0.0 Cats: Orpheus & Dimitri
0.1.0 Dog: Sophie
0.0.1 GALS
1.0.0 Mexi Black - Lucifer
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  12:18:39  Show Profile
Its totally fine to have a rant about it Emma, i would feel pretty much the same. Its just fortunate that alot of burmese pythons are very calm. I hope that this guy gets reported and punished for this, its completely unfair on the animals.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  17:27:26  Show Profile
hey nice discussion guys...

I agree there is a lot of competent, well informed and responsible owners out there with big snakes, its the others that i worry about, the ones who rush in to things, then either get overwhelmed with the responsibility, and/or the size of these beautiful creatures and dont fully realise wot they have let themselves in for.

i think we all agree that it should be a little more governed to stop ill informed people going out and buying these snakes with relative ease...

Edited by - dazb on 11/11/2008 17:28:12
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  19:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I've seen that picture before DazB, and some people think it's fake while others use it to scare people off large snakes (quite righttly)

...but what worries me is that someone took that picture while the snake was trying to eat that man.... why wasn't he helping instead of taking the shot? Even if the man was clearly dead, you would want to save the man's dignity by recovering the body for his family.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  20:30:00  Show Profile
the programme said the guy who found it was a cop who promptly shot the snake. the guy was dead and when post mortemed was found that nearly all his bones were broken...

they still dont know exactly if the snake attacked and killed the man or came cross his dead body and fancied a easy meal.

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  12:55:18  Show Profile
the reason these snakes grow 2 these lengths is because it has the space 2 do so in the wild... so its harsh on them 2 keep them enclosed :(

well thats my thoughts anyway :)

x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  19:42:15  Show Profile
Hognoses have been known to have toxic venom right? Like everyone else I feel very sorry for the snakes/humans that have suffered because of the owners inexperience.

--This is a Signature--
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  20:31:17  Show Profile
Hognoses are mildly venomous, but not strong enough to kill someone. But totally agree with you drummer.
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  21:37:55  Show Profile
At work today, I was told of someone who used to leave her boa have the run of her bedroom as he was so tame. Apparently, she was talking to someone one day about the fact that he had developed a curious habit of lying flat out next to her as she had woken up twice in the night to find him doing this.... She was told that he was doing this to size her up to see if she was big enough to eat her yet!!!

Wonder if this is true??? any thoughts?

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk

Edited by - Jennet on 17/11/2008 21:38:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page