Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  22:03:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
that's definitely an urban myth Jennet!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  22:30:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Sorry, its complete rubbish and if you read the forums often, you'll see this story come up time and time again.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  22:36:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
how come it's always somebody they know, or a friend of a friend? why is it never anyone more random or obscure? for authenticity/credibility??

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 :  00:15:43  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
my stupid older brother got a 14 ft albino burm and then had to SELL it back to the pet shop after it cornered his girlfriend in the kitchen, after it had crushed thier microwave and partically crushed thier oven. THEY HAD A 3 MONTH OLD BABY!!!

he knew the snake had a history of aggressive tendancies too, one of the last owners had to get an operation to reattach nerves after it bit him!

Stupid people like that really get to me, the only reasonthe pet shop gave it to him is cause he;s mates with the owner

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 :  19:11:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jennet

At work today, I was told of someone who used to leave her boa have the run of her bedroom as he was so tame. Apparently, she was talking to someone one day about the fact that he had developed a curious habit of lying flat out next to her as she had woken up twice in the night to find him doing this.... She was told that he was doing this to size her up to see if she was big enough to eat her yet!!!

Wonder if this is true??? any thoughts?

never seen any of my snakes laying next to their rolands or stuarts just to make sure there not to big...

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 :  20:19:33  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by PunkAsF82

my stupid older brother got a 14 ft albino burm and then had to SELL it back to the pet shop after it cornered his girlfriend in the kitchen, after it had crushed thier microwave and partically crushed thier oven. THEY HAD A 3 MONTH OLD BABY!!!

he knew the snake had a history of aggressive tendancies too, one of the last owners had to get an operation to reattach nerves after it bit him!

Stupid people like that really get to me, the only reasonthe pet shop gave it to him is cause he;s mates with the owner

sorry PA82 that's exactly the kind of irresponsible pet owner i dislike

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 :  21:15:58  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by PunkAsF82

sorry PA82 that's exactly the kind of irresponsible pet owner i dislike

Oh god GP I agree, I had such a go at him for that, really was not impressed. He has a green iggy that he takes really good care of, and tonnes of cornsnakes that are all beautifully cared for, but I made him sell them after that incident, as I didn't think he deserved to be trused with them.

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 :  23:18:23  Show Profile
roflmao @ Daz.... they're too busy trying to keep the rolands and stuarts warm in their coils to stretch out next to them!!!

I did think this was a bit sus when I heard it.... especially after seeing some of the stuff on you tube that wild snakes have tried to eat!!... they never bothered trying to size them up

Gonna get this girl back by finding a toy rubber snake and taking it to work in my jacket pocket!! She shuddered even when she saw a piccy of my tiny hoggy on my phone!!

And yes GP, you're right... its always a friend of a friend or similar.. lol

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

137 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  16:14:38  Show Profile
I often wondered why u'd ever want a snake that grows so big that its a threat to ur life, a snake that probably would eat you and you can't even handle it. Wats the Point!!??!?
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  21:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/animals/anaconda.asp

Just found that on snopes.
Thought i'd seen this before.

The one about measuring though is a good one, i used that on my niece when Sid was found CURLED up near her feet about a year ago. Sid was only about 3 feet long!

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  22:00:57  Show Profile
yeah i personally think that things like retics, african rocks, burms, green anaconda, etc should require a DWA license. A burm could easily eat a child and kill an adult no problem and the others could eat even a middle built person.

I dont think people really think enough before getting such snakes, especially those who go straight in for the biggies. I am working my way up, starting with a dwarf pastel which will get to about 6 foot and chunky which i think is the best place to start if you really wanna go onto large snakes as you get some experience with the power they possess. when you get a big snake such as burms, people should not think of them as pets as this lends itself to people falsly 'trusting' them; instead these biggies should be regarded as a wild animal in your care since one strop and the owner could be dead. Gotta remember 200 people are killed by Boa constrictors a year and these only get to about 10-12' so imagine what a 20' or even a 30' snake could do!

sorry to ramble, just annoys me
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  22:10:24  Show Profile
How does the DWA system work? Can you get the license then get any animal aslong as its aproved by the council? (or did I dream that?)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  10:11:22  Show Profile
to be honest with you, I am not sure at all although I would like to know. I just think such snakes need some sort of regulation.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  10:17:38  Show Profile
I think it is something to do with approval from your local council, but to get the license don't you need mentoring or something? I think a sticky outlining DWA would be good if anyone knows their facts.

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  10:18:56  Show Profile
Found this, not sure how concrete though.

http://tinyurl.com/7xd2qx

Darkside does have a section and a sticky on it but I'll let people find that out for themselves rather than linking direct.

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python

Edited by - n/a on 07/01/2009 10:23:08
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  16:21:01  Show Profile
It seems all too open for me. Are there not groups and stages?

So if I had this licence (and a leanient council) I could get a DWA snake and a lion? Just seems like too many animals/animal types are covered in one license, although I dont know much about it at all to be fair.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  17:19:50  Show Profile
under the statute linked it says the following:

'specifies the species (whether one or more) of animal, and the number of animals of each species, proposed to be kept under the authority of the licence;'

So you have to apply for each specie and the number of them too so the local authority only gives you a license for the specified species.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  20:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I want a lion!

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts