Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  10:08:56  Show Profile
Hello

I'm totally new to this and hoping you'll be able to help.

I've a corn snake who's about 11-12 years old, approx 4 1/2 - 5ft and he's all lumpy towards the bottom half of his body. I took him to the vets a few years ago who carried out some tests and said that he had no idea what they are but that they don't seem to be causing him any problems or pain so to just leave them as it might be fatal to operation.

Last night I noticed Jake was curled up in a sprial which he never normally does and when he opened his mouth it looked like he was having some difficulty with the right side. One half opened easy and the next half seemed to drag. I'm not sure if snakes can have strokes as it looked a bit like that or if its something to do with his unknown lumps. I've booked a vets appointment for next week as they didn't think it was anything to urgent and its a different vet but I was just wondering if anyone has had anything similar and knows what it could be.

Thank you for your help and sorry my first post is rather long.

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  10:11:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the forum, jope Jake's ok. Have you got any photos? - the lumps could just be fat, is he well fed?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  10:19:12  Show Profile
I've not got any photos on me but I should be able to get some at home tonight.

He's a funny eater, always has been. Some weeks he'll eat 3 full grown mice other times he'll go weeks without eating at all. He's been the same since he was on pinkys. He's a lot bigger then the snakes that are shown on the photos here with a rather beefy body. The lumps are huge in places making his body about 2 inches wide in places but surely I'm not over feeding him because he just leaves what he doesn't want.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  12:45:26  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Unless he's a she with retained eggs?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  14:19:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
they don't need a male to produce 'slugs' (infertile eggs) - BE's suggestion isn't as obscure as it might sound pics would be good though

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  17:31:23  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
That's my first thought too- but wouldn't a vet have checked for that?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  18:05:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
thinking about it if it's a problem gone on for that long it's unlikely to be retained eggs, more likely fatty lumps.........

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  18:34:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, didn't notice it'd been around a few years, my guess (without pics) would be fat.

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  21:30:20  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
If he looks like he's 'had a stroke' the only thing I can think of is that the lumps may be pressing on some nerves.
Best of luck with him.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  00:13:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Spruce sometimes gapes his mouth open with one side wider, usually when he's coming down with an RI. it seems a presistant problem with him, he prefers the cold end of the viv pretty much all the time, sometimes he feels freezing when i pick him up. and that's despite having a variety of 3 warm hides and only 1 cool one.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  10:52:38  Show Profile
is that normal symptoms for RI...???

chester is in his cold end ALOT, even after a feed he went straight for his cold hide, and he always feels cold when i pick him up...

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  13:30:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it's a symptom that along with others may indicate and RI, prefering the cold end with no other abnormal behaviour is just the snake displaying a preference, sorry if i alarmed you dazb!

the gaping mouth is to enable them to breathe when their nasal passages are full of mucous and effectively blocked, sometimes putting a branch in so the snake can sit with it's body higher than it's head can help drain any snot. raising the temps tends to bring the whole episode to a head so the snake can start to get over the infection more quickly

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  14:03:58  Show Profile
cheers GP... i wasnt alarmed as such, just a little weary...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  16:29:44  Show Profile
Hey everyone and thank you for the suggestions regarding the lumps.

Sadly I think it may be more serious then the lump issue though as he's not opened his mouth since Thursday and when he would normally stick his tongue out he's taken to a kinda head banging move.

Been looking up lumps, bumps and mouth issues on the net but not really getting anywhere. Hopefully it'll be something the vet can sort tomorrow morning but i'll let you all know what happens as its an unusual one and hopefully the outcome tomorrow may help if anyone else's little snake has similar issues in the future (fingers crossed they don't).
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  17:02:12  Show Profile
Good luck at the vets.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  17:25:08  Show Profile
Good luck at the vets - keep us posted!
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  19:49:45  Show Profile
good luck at the vets...fingers crossed for you...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  12:34:01  Show Profile
I wish you all the best at the vets and hope it works out.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  12:49:08  Show Profile
we'll we've just got back and thankfully there is nothing to worry about. Jake is odd shaped but in fine condition.

The vet said the mouth thing might just have been Jake resetting it as apparently they can move each side of the mouth independently and will explain why the other side looked lazy. This morning as if on cue his tongue was out again and he was moving about his cage like normal. He was still checked over and no sign of mouth rot or any other snakey illnesses of that area.

Now onto the lumps.... The vet was very interested in those as he's never seen a snake the shape of my little Jakey before. He had a prod, feel and even carried out an ultra sound for his own interest and we still we do not know what is causing these lumps but as the original vet said years ago their not causing him any pain and are nothing to worry about. They're not liquid or eggs and as i'm feeding him as directed and he doesn't eat unless he wants to its also doubtful they're fat. They could be tumours but they were previously tested and came back as negative so the case is still open.

The vet does want us to keep an eye on them as they're getting slightly bigger and will interfere with the skin shedding as they grow but in the meantime he suggested as he starts to turn milky to put a kitty litter try in there with warm/tempid water to loosen the skin and assist him. So sorry can't give any definate answers but I will try and get some photos in the next few days and post them up here so you can have a look.

Thanks for all your well wishes looks like it worked.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  12:57:02  Show Profile
That's such good news! Jake is obviously just unique You'll have to keep him out of trouble - he'd be easy to pick out in an identity parade
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  15:55:05  Show Profile
Glad to hear everything is going well so far, one question do you have moss in your snake's tank? As this helps absolutely loads when they shed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000