Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 newbie on here and to corn snake breeding - help!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  21:08:04  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Hi all
I found this site looking up info on breeding corn snakes, my female laid 10 eggs yesterday, bit of a surprise! I've checked in my book and I've moved them into a makeshift incubator - it's a seedling propagator, the best I could do in a hurry. It seems to be around 28 degrees and fairly humid in there but I should be getting hold of a proper incubator tonight. Have I done the right things? Is there anything else I can do? Help!!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  21:26:11  Show Profile
it sounds like you have done right 28d is a good temp congrats pics as soon as you get the chance

www.cornmorphs.webs.com www.southwestpythons.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  21:26:11  Show Profile
it sounds like you have done right 28d is a good temp congrats pics as soon as you get the chance

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  21:43:32  Show Profile
hi gingerpony, stupid question, did you mate her or just bought her or?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  21:43:32  Show Profile
hi gingerpony, stupid question, did you mate her or just bought her or?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  21:57:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I've had her for about 4 years now and the male for about 3 years. They were both adults when I bought them but I don't really know how old they are. Female is anerythristic and male is a snow. I've caught them 'doing the business' pretty much every year I've had them but this is the first time she's laid.
I'm trying to upload some photos as I'm a bit worried as the eggs seem to be going squishy - is it too much or too little humidity?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  21:57:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I've had her for about 4 years now and the male for about 3 years. They were both adults when I bought them but I don't really know how old they are. Female is anerythristic and male is a snow. I've caught them 'doing the business' pretty much every year I've had them but this is the first time she's laid.
I'm trying to upload some photos as I'm a bit worried as the eggs seem to be going squishy - is it too much or too little humidity?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  00:15:59  Show Profile
squishy doesnt sound to good you dont want the eggs to get wet but 100% humidity is fine and if they are fertile being to dry wouldnt make wet squishy post pics if you can it sounds like they may be slugs

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  00:15:59  Show Profile
squishy doesnt sound to good you dont want the eggs to get wet but 100% humidity is fine and if they are fertile being to dry wouldnt make wet squishy post pics if you can it sounds like they may be slugs

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  20:47:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
can't get the photo to upload from picasa so click here for the eggs photo

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  20:47:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
can't get the photo to upload from picasa so click here for the eggs photo

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  20:56:27  Show Profile
they seem to look fine if they have indented that much maybe it is to little humidity try getting it abit more humid is and half burrie your eggs in the vermiculite that will help did you put egual amounts in weight of water to vermiculite

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  20:56:27  Show Profile
they seem to look fine if they have indented that much maybe it is to little humidity try getting it abit more humid is and half burrie your eggs in the vermiculite that will help did you put egual amounts in weight of water to vermiculite

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2008 :  14:41:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
EGG UPDATE;

pic is here

3 look good (top middle) 3 have dried up (bottom middle) and the other 5 are looking ok (left and right)

The incubator I borrowed was a poultry one and the thermostat wouldn't go low enough so they're back in the seedling propagator at about 27-28 degrees C daytime and about 25 degrees C overnight (they are sat on top of my viv so the temperature fluctuates a bit).

Is it best to get rid of the 3 obviously duff eggs? And how difficult is it to candle the remaining ones?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2008 :  14:41:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
EGG UPDATE;

pic is here

3 look good (top middle) 3 have dried up (bottom middle) and the other 5 are looking ok (left and right)

The incubator I borrowed was a poultry one and the thermostat wouldn't go low enough so they're back in the seedling propagator at about 27-28 degrees C daytime and about 25 degrees C overnight (they are sat on top of my viv so the temperature fluctuates a bit).

Is it best to get rid of the 3 obviously duff eggs? And how difficult is it to candle the remaining ones?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2008 :  18:52:55  Show Profile
Gratz on eggs that are good...wish i could help but only have a hatchling myself =/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

526 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2008 :  18:52:55  Show Profile
Gratz on eggs that are good...wish i could help but only have a hatchling myself =/
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  08:07:27  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
i would get rid of the worst ones, and see what happens with the rest

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  08:07:27  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
i would get rid of the worst ones, and see what happens with the rest

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  08:50:02  Show Profile
i would also get rid of the duff ones there not attached to anything so it wont do no harm, it not hard to candle al you need is a small torch and a dark room then just put the torch to the egg. you want a torch that doesnt let of much heat.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

316 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2008 :  08:50:02  Show Profile
i would also get rid of the duff ones there not attached to anything so it wont do no harm, it not hard to candle al you need is a small torch and a dark room then just put the torch to the egg. you want a torch that doesnt let of much heat.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000