Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  17:48:23  Show Profile
My small scorpie tried to pinch me and sting me last night, and then made an amazing bid for freedom that almost got him squished as I tried to get the lid back on his tank in time.. what a mentalist!!

I was always told to be cautions changing thie water in case they did that, but he never usually moves and after two months of dosile scorpions it really freaked me out!!

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  17:55:48  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I bet they move really fast too

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  20:39:03  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
they freak me out full stop, too many legs!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  11:27:49  Show Profile
The little buggers are like lighning... not having too good a time pet wise

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  13:47:59  Show Profile
I saw some kid feed an Female Emperor a live Mouse.
Poor mouse never stood a chance.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  14:50:07  Show Profile
They are really fast!! I'm sorry to hear that he wanted to sting you in the process. I remember when i worked at a pet shop and had a cobalt blue tarantula dash at me, while i was changing the water.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  11:05:40  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Provided you're not allergic to things like bee stings etc, You should be ok if you do get stung, although it's always better to spend a night in casualty just in case.
Also because it's a sting from a "Non-native potentially dangerous" animal then you get seen nice and quickly.

Stuff in red is a verbatim quote from my local A&E. Never get yourself bitten by a Giant Millipede.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  11:41:03  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I heard that a man in Sheffield got bitten by one of those millipeades and was left with a permanent heart murmur after it.

Nasty things they are- and only a fiver in most rep shops

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  11:43:49  Show Profile
They can do that much damage?!

Its just a big mealie

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  13:32:17  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Mealies are bad too- if your not careful they can go in your ears and control your brain

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  14:17:06  Show Profile
No thats earwigs

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  14:17:19  Show Profile
And mealies are a bit nippy too Centipedes are worse than Millipedes.. I found a stray centipede in my house once (an escapee pet.. the thing in my house didn't come from the UK!!!) I was on heavy meds at the time and just couldn't deal with a six inch centipede so I battered it to death with a walking stick. I felt so truly evil afterwards, but between massacring someones pet and being bitten I chose the massacre. I scooped it up and put it on my boyfriends side of the bed and forgot about it - he came home after work and was like 'WHAT THE **** IS THAT?!?!!' Oh I forgot to mention I was on a futon at the time and it was crawling on the pillow towards my face. Nice.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  14:31:12  Show Profile
centapieds are cool i had one as a pet but died early this year its now in a botle of white viniger to pressurv it they are excape artests mine excaped about 6 times but i dont no how the viv was locked but i heard they can KILL babies so im ghuesing they are quite venamouse(bad spelling)

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  15:22:44  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
i got bitten by one of my beardies crickets.

hurts a suprising amount

deffo didnt feel bad about feeding that little bas**rd to Cooper :D

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  15:24:48  Show Profile
hellit venomous. They give you severe neural trauma, which can result in fits, heart attacks, strokes and all other kinds of nastyness. Even paralysis apparently. Even if its just rumours and scare mongering I wouldn't risk it . Not sure what the appeal is with centipedes.. wanna shed some light cornsnakejames?

Giant millipedes are awesomely cool though. I love the giant ones.. and they are so cute when they nom their fruit and veggies

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  15:38:47  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I heard that a man in Sheffield got bitten by one of those millipeades and was left with a permanent heart murmur after it.

Nasty things they are- and only a fiver in most rep shops

Tom, a guy in a rep shop up the road from me got bitten by a giant Millie, he was unconcious about 10 mins later and when he came round about 30 hours later, he was very dazed like for about 2 days afterwards.
He said it was like being really dizzy, but without the head spinning thing, he just said he was unable to control his basic motor functions properly, walking to the loo was a 15 minute job for a 10 foot walk.
Poor bu**er, he did say that his friends were laughing at him about it though when they knew he was in the clear and just gonna take a bit to recover.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  19:22:51  Show Profile
quote:
[i]wanna shed some light cornsnakejames?

they very fasinating to look at but i would not have another one because they are fast and i almost got tagged so many times i picked it because i like unusual pets ( e.g centipieds millipieds tarantulas scorps ect...) if you are scared of tarantulas then you would be terrifide of these because as soon as you put your hand in the viv/rub/what ever you keep them in they go crazy and make for the nearest exit or your hand unlike t's that normaly sit there and dont move.

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2008 :  23:42:34  Show Profile
Millipedes don't bite. They poo an acidic substance. Centipedes bite, and bite at both ends and have highly potent venom.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  09:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Josh-sama

Millipedes don't bite. They poo an acidic substance. Centipedes bite, and bite at both ends and have highly potent venom.

I've just looked that up, and you're right.
He told me a fair while ago, i'm wondering if he said centi, and i remembered milli.
I'll have to ask him.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  13:01:43  Show Profile
Haha, it isn't uncommon toget them mixed up. Centi bites can KO someone like that, and take them out for a good while.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

362 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  22:14:26  Show Profile
To be honest, I've only just got into Reptiles and such like (anything apart from dogs, cats or fish basically.) but I never knew a millipede or centipede could do so much damage. Makes me see them differently!

1 Carolina Corn Snake
1 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000