Other food
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  13:56:10  Show Profile
I have heard that corns can get a bit bored, and I like to make sure my two have as much variety and hidey holes to explore and curl up in, and climb up. But diet is onething I wonder if they are bored with? I get them frozen mice varying in size, up to the max they can take, and they tend to eat very well, sometimes I also buy the smallest rats for them, but is there anything else? Has anybody tried chicks?

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  14:04:26  Show Profile
Hey corndog (and welcome :)) I'm one for feeding animals a wide range of foods but what I've come to discover is that corn snakes are generally fed rodents because these are a) a large part of their natural diet in the wild and b)provide them with all the nutrition they need. I'm sure rats provide a nice change for them, but I don't know if feeding them non-rodents would be very good in the long term without supplements? It would be interesting to find out though.. I think a few people on here have tried day old chick legs with non-feeding hatchlings to get them started, but I don't think its regular option for a corn.. Also, I'm personally of the opinion that if you have to add supplements to your pets food you aren't feeding them the right stuff.. same with humans too

I'd be interested to know if anyone on the forum does feed their corn non-rodent-y dinner..

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  14:47:39  Show Profile
Chicks are very low in certain things. Protein etc.
Rats should be a treat, for corn snakes and mice their regular diet.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  21:02:06  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i give mine the occasional rat pup/weaner for a bit of variety and a bit of a treat but it's not really necessary.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  19:53:39  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Anoles hehe, another wild treat!....if you can get them.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  13:22:26  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Oh..and fresh eggs, quail eggs for babies and chicken eggs for adults if you cn get hold of them. This should only be a very occasional treat or they will become lil fatties.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  14:30:15  Show Profile
For my little ons i tend to go for rat pups, as boring as t sounds as i heard they are very nutritious for them. The only worry i hve about chicks is if the feet can damage the snake. Or maybe i worry too much about them.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  15:13:42  Show Profile
I think the chick feet will be harmless but you can always clip the nails if you feel unsure. Remeber whole chicks can oly be fed to adult corns (4ft+)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  15:15:29  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip Matty, that puts my mind at ease alot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000