Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2008 :  10:51:53  Show Profile
i have two corns, one male age unknown about 5.5ft long and one female about 6yrs and 4.5ft long. female feeds excellently, 'hunts' all the time and is getting quite fat (we've cut her down now). mr snake was eating and shedding all right untill about 3 months ago he went off his food. took him to the vet who treated for flagyls. hes eaten one mouse since. he is loosing weight and is starting to look drastic. he comes out and 'hunts' no problem but doesnt seem interested in the mouse. any time hes eaten before it took a lot of effort to get him to feed. im taking him back to the vets on thursday but i was hoping someone here might have an idea of anything else i can do? im not above force feeding but i dont know how to do it.

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2008 :  11:08:11  Show Profile
It might just be taking him a while to recover from parasites, or they may not be completely gone. Good plan taking him to the vet though. When did you get Mr Snake? Maybe he didn't eat mice before and ate rats or something, so is a bit unused tot he smell? I wouldn't force feed until hes been back to the vet as it may exacerbate the situation, and just make sure he has access to plenty of fresh water.. but I'm still a newbie good luck though, and let us know how it goes!

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2008 :  11:14:14  Show Profile
he was onto small rats. we've had him since february, when we put him in with mrs snake. they did what i hoped they would (of course he didn't eat then). nothing came of it though which i know is a problem with him as shes made eggs with another snake before. hes in his own tank now as part of my strategy to get him to eat, but the last time he ate and shed it was in her tank. hes really thin getting, yet hes still hunting. we're going to try braing the mice and soaking in chicken soup and all that stuff as we didnt know about it all before.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  14:36:05  Show Profile
You might ne ed to assist feed if nothing happens. It should help start him off.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  18:34:58  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You can try day-old chicks too, they can quite often get non-feeders started. I would try everything else first (including live) before I went to force feeding.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  19:17:12  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Have the parasites definitely gone?

He might still not be eating if they weren't completely cleared up?
I hope not though, poor thing.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  19:34:54  Show Profile
last night i went to feed my baby carpet python. it too wont eat, but its just 3 months old and still settling in. so i thought i wonder... i ofered the tiny pinkie to the huge corn and he ate it. one bag of rapidly defrosted pinkies later and we almost got a decent feed into him. we offered a mouse after the 1st pinkie, thinking yay hes got the taste, but no he will only eat pinkies. of course this is absolutely no use to him as theyre too small and fatty. but why will he eat pinkies and not mice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he was feeding great before about 3 months or something ago all this started.

ps any ideas on the baby carpet?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  19:47:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You might have to slowly build its confidence up again, pinkies, then fuzzies then small mice etc.

With the Carpet, how long have you had him, has he eaten with you and how long since he ate?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  20:15:46  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
have you checked your set-up? temps (even if you run a stat), size and appeal of hides, any direct sunlight coming in during the day, even the size of the viv relative to the snake?
also what time of day are you trying feeding him? although corns are diurnal some snakes feed better on an evening when they're likely to be more active, or in the case of my Royal, he prefers early mornings!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  21:44:44  Show Profile
the big guy always ate at any time at all. we watch for them 'hunting' and defrost mice for them. he stopped eating about 3 months ago and i suspect it had something to do with her being in the same cage (and eating everything that went in...) i thought it might be a confidence thing so im glad you said it as the snake shop thought i was mad. the baby carpet is 3 months old, was feeding every 5 -6 days according to the sticker on the box she came in, and has never fed for me. have made her a tiny hide out of a toilet roll tube, blocked up with loo roll. she's also in a smaller box than the one i had her in as im thinking it may be a security thing with her. she last fed on 21/8 hatched on 9/7. god is it me?
temps are all ok, big guys separated from the missus as well. actually hes in isolation 'just in case'. hes also going to the vet tomorrow after work.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  21:48:03  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
keep us posted re. the vet visit hera, even if nothing specific is pinpointed as the reason for not feeding it could rule a lot of things out

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  21:50:06  Show Profile
yeah. he just ate the pinky the baby didnt want...
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  22:04:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hera

the baby carpet is 3 months old, was feeding every 5 -6 days according to the sticker on the box she came in, and has never fed for me.

she last fed on 21/8 hatched on 9/7.

This is more serious than the adult Corn, 3 months old but not eaten for 2 months, I'd suggest taking this one to the vets and maybe getting them to show you how to assist.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  22:10:23  Show Profile
dear god do you think i should take it instead or as well
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  22:16:33  Show Profile
what are all the things i could be trying? i know how to ff an adult, would like to try a baby but will if i have to. god im scared now

Edited by - n/a on 22/10/2008 22:17:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  21:57:28  Show Profile
ok panic over with baby, turns out its not as old as appears, its only a month old. wrong lid on box! big snake mr corn was at the vet today, they stuffed some flagyl down him and said its probably just confidence and exactly as was said here, build him up fuzzies, small mice etc. if all he will take is pinkies they'll give us a suppliment to put on them so he gets everything he needs. she also said he wasnt at desperation point yet and he has a lot of time left on his (ahem) hands. hes actually put weight on since his last visit!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  22:09:34  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
that's good news about both of them hera, hope they both eat soon

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  22:18:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hera

ok panic over with baby, turns out its not as old as appears, its only a month old. wrong lid on box! big snake mr corn was at the vet today, they stuffed some flagyl down him and said its probably just confidence and exactly as was said here, build him up fuzzies, small mice etc. if all he will take is pinkies they'll give us a suppliment to put on them so he gets everything he needs. she also said he wasnt at desperation point yet and he has a lot of time left on his (ahem) hands. hes actually put weight on since his last visit!

Good news

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  12:48:53  Show Profile
Brillig

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  18:04:23  Show Profile
big guy ate 4 fuzzies today. i think that placing his tank in proximity to the hamster cages is having the desired effect! the baby ate half a pinkie last night - was trying the trick where you leave it in the box over night with nothing to do except the pinkie, and it tried to eat it but it had moved it over to the heat mat and it got stuck on the tissue paper because of the heat! but at least it tried! the reptile guy says she only 2 months old max.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  18:57:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Well done

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000