nervous corn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  19:22:04  Show Profile
my snake seems to be becoming nervous, when i reach into the viv to take her out she flinches and bolts round very fast to get away! can this be overcome? what can i do 'tame' her a bit more

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  19:32:04  Show Profile
It can be overcome most of the time but you have to be patient, one of ours was like this and you have to make sure your not being hesitant as this will make them more nervous if you're all jerky. Try opening the viv door and letting her come out of her own accord, ours wouldn't come out even with hours with the lid off, but some will. We put one of our pillow cases in with him to get him used to our smell, he love it and hides in it, it chilled him out alot. try sitting infront of the viv so she knows your there before you rech in, you could just be startling her and waking her up (after all they are nocturnal and have no eye lids so sometimes it can be hard to tell when they're sleeping) :) hope that helps

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  20:11:11  Show Profile
i spend a lot of time sitting right in front of her viv and only handle her when she is moving around, my tarantula is the same! maybe its just me!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  20:23:09  Show Profile
Lol i'm sure it's nothing personal, unless you wear really strong after-shave... then it might be you, i hear that can set them off. It might be worth trying a pillow case or t-shirt. :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  21:04:18  Show Profile
ive just noticed her trying to escape aswell! biting at the mesh on the lid quite violently trying to open it, is this something they do also?
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2008 :  13:19:02  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
She will calm down with regular handling, just be persistant with it. Move slowly and allow her to get used to your scent. She'll calm down when she knows your not going to hurt her.

They do like to try and escape- it's their favourite past-time

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2008 :  20:48:44  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
handle often and he should get used to you

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page