Nervous
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  01:20:02  Show Profile
Hello, I'm new on here. I'm looking for advice for my nervous corn. I bought her 3 months ago, she's a 3ft Amel and although bought in good faith came in very poor condition. She's no healthy but really nervous. Every time she's handled she poo's (prob musk). I was told when I bought her that she'd been used in schools for talks and handled for up to 3 hours at a time. Could this be why she is stressed or could it be the horrible unsanitary conditions she was kept in and is there anything i can do to bring her round a bit?

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  08:05:18  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

how long after feeding do you handle her? that could explain some of the pooing.

Get a t-shirt of yours as well that you've worn, for a few hours and put that in her Viv, so she can get used to your smell.

How big is the Viv?
Has she got heating and little hidey holes in the Viv?

It could just be that she's not used to having it quiet which could possibly be a little dis-concerting for her.
When she is out, what's she like? is she jumpy or does she settle down after a few mins?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  08:08:50  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi, welcome to the forum, could you tell us exactly how its viv is set up?

I'm guessing that its 18 months + old?

Whilst it was handled for 3 hours at a time, was that just once a term?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  12:06:38  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I was part of a small animal care class at my local school a couple of times last year, and am currently trying to sort it out to do it more regularly.
In that class the teacher keeps a multitude of pets and animals, they're all out fairly regularly but not for long.
Usually each animal comes out for 20-40 mins a time each day and are used to horrible little kids lovely students handling them, and each term in total they're probably out for a good few hours, but if they were out for 3 hours at a time, i believe that would be to excessive which would make ANY animal nervous. Especially snakes.

BTW The teacher i'm talking about is brilliant, and keeps control and very good care of her class pets, also involving the students so that they'll have better knowledge should they decide to get one.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  12:15:21  Show Profile
The t-shirt idea is a good one, we calmed ours down by just letting him sit in our clothes untill he was comfy enough to come out and explore, now he's almost as chilled as our others. How much are you feeding and how often are you handling?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  12:15:54  Show Profile
ooo almost forgot, welcome to the forum :)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  14:00:34  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
3 hours?? bet that was like a marathon for her if it was all in one go!
short handling sessions, about 5 mins only, on a regular/daily basis, the exception being if she's blue/shedding or 48 hours after a feed.
is she your first snake? are you nervous too? as that doesn't help but relaxing is easier said than done with the unknown!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  17:00:09  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
hi and welcome to the forum

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000