Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  09:57:47  Show Profile
Hi,got my snake on 8th september, when i got him he hadn't eaten for a week as the guy in shop said he had just shed, I have tried to feed him twice since and he still hasn't ate, have tried dangling it also tried leaving in viv overnight, some info on him which might help, he's about 3ft in length and his viv is 3ft and is on medium sized mice not that i've seen him eat any since i got him, he is handled every day. please can anyone reasure me that i'm not doing anything wrong. thankyou

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  12:04:02  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
He might just be stressed from moving home, did you leave him while before handling/trying to feed him?
I wouldn't worry too much at the momment as a 3foot long corn can go without food for a long time.
I don't think there is nything wrong with the viv size but I guess it depends on what size viv he was kept in at the store.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  12:07:01  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
keep trying to feed him he will eat when he is settled in properly,what the temp in the viv, mine took a while till it ate it's first meal for me i think it just needed to settle in and feel safe but it did eventually eat, and now it eats 2 pinkys every 5 days cos mine is a baby, so i think u should just keep trying every so often, but u will get help from more experienced people when they read ur post. Just thought i'd tell u the same happened to me and i was worried as well but it turned out fine in the end.

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  13:45:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
how is the viv set up and what are the temperatures in each end? if you post a pic we could advise you if the set up might be causing him to not eat.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  17:12:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Its only been 10 days, so nothing to worry about yet. I would suggest not handling him much if at all until he has eaten. Give him a few days completely alone and offer him a warmed, brained mouse on Sunday.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  20:37:53  Show Profile
Hi, thanks for your replies, the temperature at the hot end is 85 and the temp at cool end varies from 65-70 there is a hide at each end of the viv, but i have handled him from day one of getting him,I will try not bothering him for a few days then feed him again, by a brained mouse do you mean cutting the head a bit, have seen some advice about that in the forums, thanks again will see how i get on.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  20:57:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
braining - just insert a sharp knife into the skull of the pinky, *caution* it can be a bit dribbly!
the smell of brains can tempt some fussy feeders!

Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  20:57:57  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
yes that is what u do and hopefully it should work so keep us informed and good luck.

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  22:55:33  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
can you find out his feeding history from the shop, because most corns of that size are established feeders.
try not to handle him for a few days and let him settle in before you try and feed again, what sort of condition is he in,can you post some pics on this thread

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  23:34:06  Show Profile
Is the viv lit, or natural light?
Your snake may be sensing the daylight changing times and getting ready for brumation and fasting, if the previous keeper power fed it to build up its winter weight.
10 days is nothing for an adult corn as they can go between 2 and four months without food, depending on the breeder and planned/expected lay/hatch dates.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2008 :  18:19:59  Show Profile
He was fed in the shop every saturday evening, and he was kept in a viv in shop with another snake the same as him and were meant to be sold as a pair, but they sold one on the saturday then I bought the other one the monday, I don't know how to put pictures of him on here, he looks healthy hes very friendly and placid and is also poking his tongue out a lot, he's funny actually every time he has a drink he always does a big yawn, every time, his heat mat is on all the time and we have a red light on about 12 hours a day on the same side as the heat mat

Edited by - n/a on 19/09/2008 18:25:10
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2008 :  18:26:04  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
sounds ok, leave him alone for a few days, then try again

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2008 :  18:32:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How are you monitoring/maintaining the temps of the heatmat and bulb?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2008 :  18:57:39  Show Profile
I have a thermastat but its not in viv as don't know were to put it, I'm just checking the thermometers regulary

Edited by - n/a on 19/09/2008 18:58:29
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2008 :  19:18:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Digital or Dial thermometers? - Where are they placed?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2008 :  20:57:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if it's a dial they're generally cr@p!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2008 :  21:33:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Put the probe for the thermostat probe where the snake will be (on the substrate) at the hot end.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2008 :  11:44:04  Show Profile
I have 2 dial ones, 1 is placed in hot end and right now reads 99 degrees at moment and 1 is placed in the middle of the viv which reads 75 degrees
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2008 :  12:16:59  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Ouch, 99F, poor snake, have you turned it down now?

I really would recommend a digital one if possible, very cheap on ebay.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2008 :  12:17:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I have some of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARINA-DIGITAL-THERMOMETER_W0QQitemZ220281927402QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220281927402&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2008 :  14:11:26  Show Profile
I think I might know why hes not eating,I've sorted the temperature out put my thermostat in, viv is now 82F at hot end, but i noticed Montys eyes are very cloudy, I take it that means he's going to shed, is it right they go off thier food? and how long does it take them to shed and how often do they shed, Thankyou everyone for their input and advice, I am learning alot from you all, oh and put a bid on ebay thankyou

Edited by - n/a on 20/09/2008 14:12:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000