Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 advice please (going to look at snake 2moro)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  00:16:03  Show Profile

Hi all,

Daughter has been asking for a snake for a while, and I have finally caved - we are going to look at a snake and viv tomorrow that we have found on preloved.

It's an Amel http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1031499103/895448ff.html

Any advice on it's immediate care should we buy it and bring it home, I would be grateful.... I have spent last 3 hours reading (and occassionally falling about laughing at) a fair amount of the posts on the general keeping info forum, but things I would like to know initially are:

How long should we leave it in viv to settle once we get home before handling?

Presuming feeding should stay on schedule or more or less (guy has got records etc)?

How long after feeding is it generally ok to handle without risk of regurge?

Daughter will be keeping it in bedroom to give the poor thing some peace as I have 2 loopy dogs and 2 cats as well as various fish and a (very forebaring) husband.... just had a thought - did I read that snakes can't hear... as may need to tell her to keep her music to a reasonable level ... now there's a good excuse!

Any other info anyone can think of generally gratefully received, and if anyone has any info on this particular type/kind would also be well received....

Thanking y'all in hopeful anticipation.... Jennet...

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  01:10:30  Show Profile
hey you should leave it in the viv for a couple of day to get used to the new surroundings as yu will moving it from its previous location, just keep to the schedule that he has been on which should be every 6 days and do not handle him until 2days after he has fed as he will probably regurge his food, hope that helps
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  01:41:26  Show Profile
Hi and Welcome.
If you buy the snake and viv and bring it home, take it out of the viv and let it run through a warm damp towel to clean it, without having to bathe it, and place it in a pillow case with the open end secure. Leave it somewhere warm, like an airing cupboard with the door open. Not on a radiator, but be sensible where you choose.
Empty out the viv, and dispose of the substrate and replace it with similar or newspaper.
Wash everything and disinfect the viv and glass.
Allow it to dry out and any bleachy smells to clear.
Put it all back together, with the mat/lamp on and let it warm up for at least an hour, and check the temps with a thermometer.
Take the snake out of the pillow case and do the same again with a warm towel.
Place it in the viv, close the door and leave it for at least a week before you handle it and let it settle in.
Change its water daily, but thats all you should do.

Spend the next week reading up on caresheets and post a few pictures of the viv and set up on here.

(The advert mentions a Stat, but not a mat.)
(It also says it eats rat or mice.. The feeding record should tell you what it has eaten.)
(Ask aswell, if he has ONLY had one full shed, and if the rest have not been, as in the advert)
(Also ask what he has changed in the advert. It was updated)
(4 foot in length seems a tad long for 15 months)

Might be a lucky purchase.

Hope this helps :)

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  07:55:52  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hi and welcome, good luck with the snake

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  08:20:51  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mark

(4 foot in length seems a tad long for 15 months)

I was thinking that about the rats too. I've got 2-3 year old corns that couldn't handle a rat pup yet, and they are no where near 4 ft either.

I bet the seller isn't sure of the age, because it sounds like an older corn, but still a good deal for snake and viv. Hope your daughter likes him

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  08:32:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
That depends on what a shop class as a Rat Pup, I bought 50 at the Donny show that are smaller than a small mouse.

Hi Jennet, welcome to the forum, my advice would be to leave it to settle in for up to a week if you can, then offer it some food (which should be roughly the same size as the snake's girth) and leave it for a couple of days to digest.

If you're buying the snake with the viv its been living in, then I wouldn't go to the lengths Mark suggested above just yet, let it settle in first.

Good luck

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  08:54:18  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
rat pups sold in my area, are only a bit bigger than a fluff

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  09:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Well your both being done then- the rats I get are about large mouse size

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  09:45:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I bought some from Markham once that were like that, they've now been re-classified as Rat Weaners and an extra 30p added

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  09:52:10  Show Profile
Good luck with your new snake. I would leave it to settle in for a week before you try feeding it or handling it. Then dont handle the snake for 2 days after its eaten. You wont regret getting a snake, they make great pets. Welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  10:39:25  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
weaners around here are about the size or x large mice and sell between £1.10 - £1.30

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  13:46:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I had a good rummage through the sack to find the smallest ones.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  15:50:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by mark

Also ask what he has changed in the advert. It was updated

you don't have to change anything, updating just bumps it up to the top of the listing again.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  15:53:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
And as people have said 4ft is HUGE for a 15 month old snake, I have 3 around that age, the biggest is 3ft (and he's a monster) and the other 2 are around 2'9" but a lot more slender.

at 4ft it's more likely to be an adult ie. over 3 years old.

BTW hi and welcome, isn't Preloved great!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  21:09:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

If you're buying the snake with the viv its been living in, then I wouldn't go to the lengths Mark suggested above just yet, let it settle in first.

I can appreciate that some ppl would just take it home and plug it in, but if there are mites on the snake and in the viv, they would only multiply over a week and the next post would be asking about mites.
No one knows where the snake is coming from or how healthy it is, nor the reason for the sale.
We do not know how long the snake has been lying in its own waste either.

I also appreciate that this is a first snake, and the likes of health problems are still to be discovered and there is no need to place the snake in any kind of quarantine, but best practice is best practiced from the start in my opinion, although i do appreciate yours.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  22:10:50  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
all BE's saying is that he wouldn't go to the lengths you would Mark. neither would I personally.

I feel a usual clean out should suffice and IF any mites were noticed at that point appropriate action could then be taken.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  22:15:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Jennet

Daughter will be keeping it in bedroom to give the poor thing some peace... just had a thought - did I read that snakes can't hear... as may need to tell her to keep her music to a reasonable level ... now there's a good excuse!

they can still feel vibrations if they're near a telly or some speakers which can upset them, just needs to think where she's putting the new viv

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  00:01:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

all BE's saying is that he wouldn't go to the lengths you would Mark. neither would I personally.

I feel a usual clean out should suffice and IF any mites were noticed at that point appropriate action could then be taken.

I know. I also made it clear that i appreciated his opinion.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  13:33:19  Show Profile
Text
Text
Hi folks and thanks for your responses,

We did buy 'Tango' complete with viv, and yes, I do think we got an absolute bargain! His owner is training to be a vet, and reason he was selling is that he has recently brought a young royal python, and new set up, and having 2 viv's in his bedroom was a bit much.

He has his full records with him - born approx March 07 (that may be what the shop told him re:age etc, not sure, but date of purchase was Sept 07, and his records go from there on shedding, and have last few months on feeding. His shedding profile gives date sloughing noticed and date sloughing finished, and generally indicates a four weekly cycle. His feeding is every 6 days - 1 jumbo mouse or rat pup, but owner fed him on 9th as he noticed he was going into slough and did not want him to go without for too long.

Owner said he often handles him in slough, as it seems to help and although he has to get him out of hide, he does not seem to mind, and if fact even seems to enjoy. When we handled him yesterday he was fine - getting quicker and more inquisitive the longer we held him - he did feel a little rough underneath when he went up round my neck.... tickled somewhat..lol.

Have set him up on top of her chest of drawers, and comp and music on comp desk other side of room, so should be ok re: music!!

Owner uses heat bulb you can see in photo, not mat, and probe monitors and turns on and off as necessary. Owner been keeping at 86/30 deg day and 76/24 deg night.

Daughter did not see anything of him last night, but noticed this morning that he had his head poked out of hide having a look-see this morning whilst she was still lying in bed!

Oh... last thing... owner uses tortoise bedding as preference.. says it seems to have suited him better than aspen etc.

He took down advert as soon as we brought him, so noticed the pic not on there any more... will try to find out how to get pic posted of both him and viv on the pics page here.

Thanks very much to yous all for your advice... It would appear 'we've been Tango'd!!!!'......J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  13:37:26  Show Profile
Blast!! Forgot to say prev. owner said he always does full shed. Had recently got rid of last shed as it was beginning to fall apart... so we will wait and see... but he did seem a lovely lad, and quite open and honest.... and gave us his telephone numbers and e'addy etc. to keep in touch with any questions etc. He is also starting to build his own web site on snakes!..... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  15:25:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Congrats.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000