Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:11:56  Show Profile
Hi all, i have had my baby corn for around 3 weeks now.
At first he was fine with being held but now its like all he wants to do is get out of my hands.
I fed him last friday night but he tunred his nose up at the pinky even after i put a small cut in it to let a bit of blood out, i ended up putting the pinky in his tank on a bit of card overnight and it was gone the next morning..so he must have had it because i looked all round his tank for it.

But i just had a go at feeding him again and the same thing, he just moves away from the pinky, do you think he could be getting ready for shedding? as he has yet to do that in my care.

Any help would be very good, as this is my first snake and i dont want to mess anything up.

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:23:12  Show Profile
first of all dont worry. snakes often can refuse food.

afew questions need to asked first:

how old is he/she?
how big is he/she?
wot size his viv?
wot are the temps at hot and cool end?
have you noticed his eyes going or have gone cloudy/blue recently and has his colour faded??

Edited by - dazb on 10/09/2008 21:25:04
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:24:36  Show Profile
His wanting to escape from your hands sounds very much like normal Corn snake behaviour to ne. They can be very skittish and always on the go when handled, especially when young, so I would not worry. As to his refusing to eat from you straight away I am less sure about but at least he is eating. Young Corns shed about once a month so it could be that this is why his appetite may be reduced. See how he goes but i don't think you have anything to worry about.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:34:01  Show Profile
I think he is around 3months old or so, you can see pics of him in one of my other posts.
The tank is set up to be the right temps at both ends.
I had a look at his eyes and markings but i cant tell if hes getting dull or not thats why i made the post.

As for feeding is it best to cut the head open on the pinky or is any body part that has blood in it ok?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:38:06  Show Profile
the head is your best bet

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:39:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
my new CB07 stripe is skitty, I handle her for no more than 5 mins at a time, a couple of times a week. I keep wrapping her around my fingers as she keeps moving so that i'm fully supporting the weight of her body and letting her move at the same time. make sure you're not squeezing him to try and keep him still.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:43:45  Show Profile
I dont hold him for long only a few min at a time just to try and get him used to being held, i never squeeze or anything like that.
Just let him go around my fingers and so on, i just got the pinky out of his tank and popped open the head the a thick pin so a bit of brains come out and put it back in on some card.
I also covered the tank with a towel so its nice and dark for him.

I take it baby corns are a bit of a pain when it comes to eating :P the first 2 times i had no problems at all..oh well im sure he will eat when he wants.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  22:26:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sounds like you're doing the right thing ninposam, how often are you feeding him?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  07:23:03  Show Profile
Around every 5days at the moment, his last feed was last friday night.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  17:39:35  Show Profile
Well the pinky was still there on the bit of card this morning :(
So im thinking about putting the snake and brained pinky in a shoe box over night, is this a good idea?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  20:53:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
that might work, check your other thread about the viv size that might be causing him to not eat

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  21:13:38  Show Profile
I have the exact same problems as you gingerpony. First couple of days she was fine when i held her. Now she constantly runs runs runs. The first two feedings were no problem, now she just turns her nose up, too. SAME EXACT PROBLEMS. ima try leaving the mouse on a piece of cardboard in the tank, too and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  22:44:50  Show Profile
Ok my snake is around 11inch long and my tank is 22inch by 12inch.
When i set it up i made sure he had lots of hiding places and not a lot of open space.
Do you think i should move him to a smaller tank for a bit?
here is a pic of the tank from the front and one from above.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2008 :  11:11:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by ninposam

I take it baby corns are a bit of a pain when it comes to eating...

usually they're dustbins! you should try a Royal!

you're set up looks good but it's far too big for your snake, also it's exposed on all 4 sides which will make the snake feel very insecure. this could well be the cause of your feeding problems.

as a roungh guide for housing size:
length of viv + width of viv = length of snake
so if your viv is 22" by 12" it's suitable for a snake 34" long, your hatchling would be much hapier in a much smaller viv/faunarium.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  08:32:02  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I agree with GP- my corns wolf their food down, it's the other 4 that are pains to feed.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  08:36:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
There are brick walls on at least 2 sides, but it is quite big & open.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  08:50:51  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
try feeding in a smaller container, inside your viv

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  11:40:14  Show Profile
there are bricks on 3 sides of the viv, but i am thinking of getting a smaller tub for him to live in for a bit.
I have a few old snap boxes in my kitchen so might get one of them cleaned up and try him in there.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  12:20:13  Show Profile
Ok i have one cleaned up its around 12inch x 8inch and 4inch high.
is the size ok for him?
Also what should i put on the bottom of the tank? or is it ok just using the same aspen as i have in the main tank.
I just want to make the move as easy as i can for him :)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  15:45:04  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
that's a much better size for a 3 month old snake ninposam, the aspen from the big viv should be fine and it will smell familiar for him. make sure your heatmat only covers about one third of the floor space (and definitely not more than a half!) and if the tub's got clear sides he'll probably feel better if you cover 3 of them with paper or whatever

Go to Top of Page

liverpoolmadman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
375 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  19:51:22  Show Profile  Visit liverpoolmadman's Homepage
ninposam just a thought, my pet shop owner has always advised me to make sure my hands are warmer than the snake that way the lil tike might just relax a little quicker. I went to see him today and whilst the wife drove I made sure that I had the heating on slightly and over the vents so when I picked up my new lil baby my hands would be warmer than she was or as close to her temp in her lil sandwich/takeaway box that shes living in at the moment inside a larger tank with her other siblings. DONT PANIC GUYS THEY ARE ALL SEPERATED lol

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000