Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  07:51:01  Show Profile
Well i been looking at a lot of the posts and it seems to me that a lot of people have homemade Vivs. I have a 20 Gallon Long aquarium.. am i doing something wrong here?

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  09:38:41  Show Profile
hi,
the only real problem with full glass is that it allows a lot more heat to escape than the wooden vivariums. so the only issue is keeping that temp correct and, as long as the temp is correct, there's no real issue with using glass.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

109 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  09:49:23  Show Profile
Synyster is in an all glass tank but with a wooden lid the temp is usually 30oC but sometimes drops to 28oC he seems fine in.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  10:05:39  Show Profile
Sounds a little large for that tiny little fellow, maybe partition it, or add lots of hides, but i'd cover 3 of the sides up so it doesn't seem as big for him. But as long as it's secure and has a a good temp gradient then i reckon it should be fine.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  11:03:30  Show Profile
I'm no good with the gallon terms so haven't a clue how big your tank is, sorry!! I need it in feet and inches!!!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  13:14:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by potter fan

I'm no good with the gallon terms so haven't a clue how big your tank is, sorry!! I need it in feet and inches!!!

same here, feet and inches would help or centimeters at a push!
and the approximate length of the snake would help establish if your viv is appropriately sized.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  13:30:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Nothing wrong with glass vivs, although I do cover 3 of the sides of my glass ones so that its not too open.

Welcome to the forum Brad.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  17:48:55  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hi and welcome brad, i use aquas cause i like the range, what i would say about glass is keep them away from windows and direct sunlight cause they will turn into mini green houses

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  18:30:54  Show Profile
hello,

yeah I agree with what you say as glass is an extremely good heat conductor. aquariums do look better as you get many more viewpoints rather than just the one you get with a viv.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  18:42:18  Show Profile
i use wooden for the fact that i can stack them, and drill them to hid the probes...

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  23:34:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
My last Viv was glass, but instead of a fish tank type thing, it was built using double glazed window units.

It kept the heat in really well, but also it never seemed to overheat.
One downside though, it used to get very humid.
I had 4 standard sized vents on the top but it still got humid.
I ended up having small gaps needing to be left when the doors got closed to keep the levels low.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  07:14:01  Show Profile
I opened this post in the Photos section but forgot to post my picture and ask everyone else to post their pictures of their vivs... here goes

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  09:21:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Very nice.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  11:55:10  Show Profile
very nice set up!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  13:53:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
looks lovely but as peanuts said is it a little large for your snake? it might be causing your feeding problems

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  14:26:39  Show Profile
To be honest, i was looking for the fish.

The snake will not feel safe in there IMO because of the open space that it sees.
When it looks along to the end of the tank, it will just see on for ever and think the world is flat.
It will feel vulnerable and may not eat in the open, because it will know if it has a mouse in its mouth, it cant defend itself or get away quick.
The heat will be going out through the top, as heat rises and if the room goes cold.....
You should put some polystyrene or cork or carpet under the tank to insulate the floor of it, and i would halve the size of its length.
Condensation could be a problem too.
Wood is better at retaining heat from a mat and it also transfers heat better.
Hint: If you have a mat in a glass tank, place hardboard over it, as the hardboard warms surrounding the mat increasing the area. You can also put a rock or brick on the mat and that increases the heated surface area.

Just my thoughts,
Looks nice though.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  15:24:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message

There's nothing wrong with glass vivs, I have a few of them now with the heat mat under the viv. I do however have 3 sides covered to that the snake feels more secure.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  15:34:48  Show Profile
Oh i did not say that glass vivs were Wrong, and i have a terra for the beardie, its just the heat retention and what appears to the snake as a vast space, was my point.

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  15:38:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Mine are about half the size of his too I suppose. The first of those pics contains a Royal, the second a BRB (obviously both young).

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  15:44:16  Show Profile
Has the first picture got a plant pot liner in it?

1.0. Albino Burm
2.0. Carpet Python
1.0. Cali King
11.6. Corns
1.1. Royal Python
1.1. Thick Tail Geckos
1.0. Bearded Dragon
1.0. Spur Thighed Tort
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  15:57:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Its some cardboard packaging, I get loads of them at work.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000