Other snakes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  09:58:14  Show Profile
I definitely have my hands full at present but if I were to get another snake in the future I would like one that is non aggresive and doesn't move as much as a corn when being handled - are there any snakes that fit this category? I definitely don't want a big snake or anything that if it escaped could accidently (or not) kill me or my young kids!

Anery Motley F: Callisto
Snow M: Europa
Carolina Reverse Okeetee F: Io
Anery Motley F: Kinky
Snow F: Maite

22 Naughty Hatchlings

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:17:31  Show Profile
Royals are very timid but friendly and hardly move at all when you hold them and when the do its very slow movement. Males usually average out at about 4 feet and females at about 5 feet. They are alot stockier but i dont think there is any chance of them trying to harm you even if they did escape

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:19:26  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Not many snakes that could accidently (or not) kill you or your young kids! Reticulated pythons and anacondas maybe - A Royal or a king snake are other good snakes to keep - although kings can be a little more feisty (especially at feeding time). As long as your temp and set up are correct royals are a good snake (but if you're getting one make sure you have feeding and shedding records and If possible see if feed before you buy) Royals are notorious non-feeders if anything stresses them in any way - saying that they are beautiful snake... they do grow larger than corns and are a lot bulker in body (so may look like they could eat you when fully grow) but don't take notice of the old urban myths - a royal won't escape and be found in your bed sizing you up!!

Got luck with the choices - and remember when buying you're not just buying the snake but everything to keep it happy (heat mat, stat, wood to climb on, hides, water bowl, substrate, the right sized viv etc) can be costly - As we're slowly moving to autumn and winter you'll pay more for larger snakes - If you wait until the season for hatchlings you'll get a better deal on the snake itself!

Hope this helps with your decision!

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:29:06  Show Profile
I have tried to look at prices for both hatchling snakes but can't seem to find any details - does anyone have a rough idea?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:32:41  Show Profile
i've seen quite a few royals for around £50 but with having a look round i found them @ £35

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:36:41  Show Profile
Thanks, they definitely seem very placid.

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:44:22  Show Profile
i've only had mine just over a week but im sooo pleased with them, they are quite different to corns with the way they would rather stay quite still and just take in everything thats going on around them. apart from the eating issues, i cant find a bad thing about them

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  12:30:59  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
royals prices range from £40-£120 for hatchling-yearlings so it pays to shop around

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic