Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 He won't eat - any suggestions welcome !
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  14:41:20  Show Profile
We bought an 2.5 year old corn snake 6 weeks ago and he just wont eat ! have tried all different size mice, offer them at room temperature, put a hole in head of mice, he is driving me crazy! his viv is 85 degrees at warm end, he is on aspen substrate, nice big water bowl, plenty of hiding and climbing bits. Any suggestions I am really concerned ! He is very tame, loves to be handled and very inquisitive. We have not handled him for over a week at pet shops instructions but he still wont eat!

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  14:58:53  Show Profile
Have you tried making the mice seem alive? this works well with peanuts, get some tongs and make his mice appear to jump along their feed box, and gently tap his tail with it sometimes this will make them strike it, don't over do it though you don't want to stress him out. If this doesn't work, maybe a little trip to the vets, just for a little check up to make sure it's nothing medical. Also if you are keeping him on aspen i would feed him outside his viv to make sure he doesn't ingest any substrate.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  15:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
That's good advice Peanut- that's now Evra eats. She won't touch it if she thinks it's dead.

Jakeman- You could also try leaving the snake and the pinkie in a small dark confined space overnight. Sometimes that works. Snakes are shy eaters sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:11:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I let the mouse defrost next to the viv opening so that the smell slowly excites them, then warm the head up of my mice with a hair dryer, nice and hot.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:14:35  Show Profile
or pu the head under a hot tap

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:15:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Putting the mouse in water can rinse off the smell that attracts the snake, whilst it will warm the mouse I would advise against this.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:30:38  Show Profile
i defrost all my mice then soak them in warm water to raise the temp.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:33:52  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'm not saying you can't, but if you're trying to persuade a non-eater then I'd want to give it as much help as possible.

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:39:50  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
interesting thread. i routinely defrost mine in a freezer bag with water and Mystery seems fine with them. Im thinking now that maybe letting it rest at room temp for a little longer is better. Im no pro, but maybe try feeding him whilst your handling him. i placed a small pinkie for mystery on a small plate and then whilst holding him he smelt the food and stormed over for a quick feed. make sure u dont handle the food before you pick the snake up. he might bite. place it, wash hands then get the snake
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:41:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If the mouse is in a freezer bag and not in contact with the water then it won't wash the smell off.

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  16:44:36  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
hmm why did i not think of that, i usually add the water to the bag, but i wont from now one :) outside it is.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  17:11:19  Show Profile
il do that from now on

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  18:34:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If your snake eats regularly the way you are currently doing it then you don't need to change, there's nothing wrong with warming them in water, I was just suggesting for the OP who's struggling to get their's to eat.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  21:55:14  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
try soaking in chicken stock

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  15:51:46  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
I let the pinkies defrost and then wrap them in kitchen towl and rinse them under the hot tap. I've found this enhances the smell as opposed to washing it away.
Good luck getting him to feed!

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

109 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  18:39:28  Show Profile
i put the pinky in a small plastic tub and sit it over a bowl of hot water for about 20/35 mins i give it a squidge to make sure its fully defrosted then i put Synyster in a small tank with the pinky in( still warm )and he always eats straight away!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

68 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  19:32:45  Show Profile
where did you get the snake from? try asking them what they did it might only eat rats or chicks and thatswhy your having problems
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  20:30:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

If your snake eats regularly the way you are currently doing it then you don't need to change, there's nothing wrong with warming them in water

That's what i'd say is spot on.
My kelloggs is a fussy eater, he'll only eat them if they're been warmed and defrosted in water, if it isn't then he wont eat it.

Sid is completely different, she'll eat ANYTHING that remotely even looks like food.
Crunchy Nut prefers wet food, but will take dry defrosts.

Snakes are odd with their preferences.
I'm waiting for the time they decide they want a bit of ketchup with it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  20:41:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
lol, just a dab on the nose?

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  20:52:50  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
hehe now thatll make a great pic :)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  21:05:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Beenie

i put the pinky in a small plastic tub and sit it over a bowl of hot water for about 20/35 mins i give it a squidge to make sure its fully defrosted then i put Synyster in a small tank with the pinky in( still warm )and he always eats straight away!!!

Glad to hear he started as he meant to go on

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000