New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  19:14:10  Show Profile

There is 2 main brands of thermostats which are readily available from most shops and websites which are 'Habistat' and 'Microclimate'. As to which one you choose is down to personal chioce.

Types of stats:

Mat Stat: This is a basic stat that is used to control heat mats upto 100w. It is known as a on/off stat. Not suitable for bulbs.

Temperature Stat: This is basically the same as a mat stat but can control upto 300w. Not suitable for bulbs.

Twin Channel Stat: This is 2 temperature stats in one unit. Not suitable for bulbs.

Pulse Proportional Stat: This is a stat that can control upto a maximum of 600w and is ideal for ceramic heaters but can be used on other heat sources aswell.
It works by emiting pluses of electricity in to the heat source to maintain a constant accurate temperature.

Dimming stats: This is a stat specificaly designed for light bulbs as heat sources but can be used on any other heat source, but does require a minimum of 40w but has a maximum of 600w. it is one of the most accurate stats you can get.
It works similar to the pulse prop stat, but instead of by supplying pulses of power, it supplys a continuous variable supply of power to heat souce. so it is constantly running but not at full power.

All of the above minimum and maximum wattages are based on the 'Habistat' range.

Hope this helps...

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  19:14:46  Show Profile
Useful links:

http://www.eurorep.net/habistat/

http://www.microclimate.co.uk/Stats.htm

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  19:17:26  Show Profile
I posted this on www.theroyalpython.co.uk and thought some guys on here might find it usefull...

Edited by - dazb on 12/11/2008 19:19:15
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  20:56:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i'm a recent convert to the pulse prop stat for heatmats

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  06:49:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I would add that as there is no minimal load for a PP stat they will also keep the most accurate temperature for heatmats which is useful for incubators.

Also, whilst the Habistat thermostats are named nice and simply, the Microclimate ones have names like:

Ministat (Mat Stat)
B1 (Dimming Stat)
B2 (Pulse Proportional Stat)
B1ME (Dimming Stat with Magic Eye - Senses the light change at night and changes the temperature to a pre-defined level)
B2ME (as above for PP)

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  12:32:40  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Cheers guys, im looking for a stat at the moment

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2008 :  14:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I knew there'd be some techno-geeks on here who knew what it all meant

Good work you lot x

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2008 :  21:22:58  Show Profile
thanks for this... really useful info... I am hoping they sell stat's at Rodbaston on Sunday... decided to go have alooksee ... need one for the gorgeous little hoggie I bought last Saturday who's just now digging in his sandpit sat right next to me on the bookcase!! bless

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000