The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HannaH Posted - 03/06/2010 : 15:35:58

I have a late 07 or early 08 Male Amel, I really want to pair him with a female, the female I've got lined up will be ready to breed next season, but.. she is bigger than him ( not by much but still bigger).

I want to try and breed them next season but am worried that my boy is to small.

I NEED SOME ADVICE. ( constructive advice )

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannaH Posted - 07/06/2010 : 11:58:26

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not quite sure what you mean here.

The Amels will be regular amels and if you get snows they will be regular snows.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it didnt make sence, but you answered my question anyway
DannyBrown91 Posted - 07/06/2010 : 10:48:43
quote:
Originally posted by HannaH

So if I get any snow will they be a funny colour of just snow? and likewise with and amel?

Not quite sure what you mean here.

The Amels will be regular amels and if you get snows they will be regular snows.
HannaH Posted - 07/06/2010 : 10:27:37
quote:

So if I get any snow will they be a funny colour of just snow? and likewise with and amel?

WOW I just read that back to myself and I sound so stupid
HannaH Posted - 07/06/2010 : 09:49:25
n/a Posted - 07/06/2010 : 09:41:15
That they are carrying the gene which causes the anery morph
HannaH Posted - 06/06/2010 : 23:16:05
[quote eeji]they should all be amel het anery. If you get any snows too, this will prove your amel male as het anery.[quote eeji]

Ok that means nothing to me . What does "het anery" mean?

Ta
HannaH Posted - 06/06/2010 : 23:12:06
Oh

ok thank you
n/a Posted - 06/06/2010 : 21:51:44
The process of cooling and then bringing the temps back up. As it is a 'yearly cycle'
HannaH Posted - 06/06/2010 : 20:47:07
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:

I thought everyone bermated there snakes at the same time?

It will be my females first attempt at a cluch next season and I wanted to give her a good chance..
Dose burmation make that much difference to the cluch size? And is it worth it for her first try?

Ta

It can make a difference, a good cycling can give a good clutch.

Stupid question but whats cycling?? I take it you dont mean going for a bike ride
mikerichards Posted - 06/06/2010 : 20:25:03
quote:

It will be my females first attempt at a cluch next season and I wanted to give her a good chance..
Dose burmation make that much difference to the cluch size? And is it worth it for her first try?

Ta

It can make a difference, a good cycling can give a good clutch.
eeji Posted - 06/06/2010 : 19:08:19
quote:

Slightly off subject:

I'm really terrible with names of morphs so if I do have a sucessful cluch I wouldn't know what to call them,

My boy is amel and female snow can anyone shed some light on what morphs they'll be?

Ta

they should all be amel het anery. If you get any snows too, this will prove your amel male as het anery.
HannaH Posted - 06/06/2010 : 16:20:10
Slightly off subject:

I'm really terrible with names of morphs so if I do have a sucessful cluch I wouldn't know what to call them,

My boy is amel and female snow can anyone shed some light on what morphs they'll be?

Ta
HannaH Posted - 06/06/2010 : 15:57:34

Ta
mikerichards Posted - 04/06/2010 : 23:17:50
You dont actually have to brumate corns for them to breed, but, it does give them a much better chance of having a good clutch.
I start to cool mine down towards the middle of october, then bring them back up to temp in feb. As with a lot of things with corns and other snakes, there is no specific right way to do something, each to their own with whatever works.
Mouse Posted - 04/06/2010 : 20:37:35
As for the posting, that's cool, it's a good idea, as I know from experience, the first time is midly panick enducing, and you constantly worry that you're doing something wrong!!! People saying, 'chill, it's all ok' is very helpful!

Some people do start brumation at that time, although I didn't. I was advised about 6 week brumation period, but your best plan is to look through the search button on Brumation. I spose it depends when u want them to hatch.

Be aware that 'breeding season' is just about over now, so if you get them horny at xmas, you're gonna have a horny snake who is constantly trying to escape and trashing the viv and not eating....

There are several posts about how irritating this can be!!!!
HannaH Posted - 04/06/2010 : 20:13:42
Cheers Mouse, all that was really helpful

just one more question, when do you think is best to start turning down the heat?
I've hurd October middle of November ? What do you think?

Just a heads up for anyone that is reading, I'm most likely going to be posting every step of the way through this from the start of burmation to the ( hopeful ) eggs next season

Ta
eeji Posted - 04/06/2010 : 19:28:26
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

he'll be fine with her - last year I used an 07 male with an 06 female and got 21 eggs from her first breeding :)
She's shed and ready to drop again this year so we'll see if we get another good sized clutch from her :)

quote:
Originally posted by Mouse

eeji, who were you replying to?

I'm guessing HannaH, not Tracy

sorry, yes the above reply was to HannaH.

Tracy, please can you start your own thread so as not to confuse people :)
Mouse Posted - 04/06/2010 : 19:12:11
I started lowering the temps a few degrees a day till I got to 18C in Jan, then end of 2nd week in MArch bought them back up.

Gave a feed a week before lowering temps, waited for big ol poo, then just water after that, otherwise they won't digest properly and it could rot in their stomach.

When you've bought the temps up, give her as much food as she wants, (same with male, as when they get horny, they go off food.) some people suggest putting calcium dust on the mice, and I would suggest reptiboost in the water for her.

give about 2 feeds (some say 2, some say 3) wait for poo again, then you can introduce them.

I took them both out so they met in neutral ground, and they fair on ignored each other first 2 times, then 3rd time, I was nearly a rape mat, so I put them in her viv (as hers is bigger!), removed all trashable items, and left them too it.

Some people say seperate and put together daily, removing when finished, some people say leave in for 2 weeks, as she may not be ovulating when they first do it, or he may not have got it right etc. the more locks they have the better chance.

make sure she takes what she can food wise, as when the eggs get to a certain size, she'll go off her food, and it'll be her body weight that sustains them. Also, if there isn't enough calcium, she could get eggbound.

Rah!

anything I've missed??
(apart from, beware of hormonal stroppy snake syndrome!- tail rattling, trashing the viv, and rubbing herself over everything possible happen towards the end of being gravid!)
HannaH Posted - 04/06/2010 : 15:33:15
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

he'll be fine with her - last year I used an 07 male with an 06 female and got 21 eggs from her first breeding :)
She's shed and ready to drop again this year so we'll see if we get another good sized clutch from her :)

Fingers crossed, I'm a little unsure about getting them ready for next season, I read all sorts on burmation and some say its work it other say dont bother I'm so worried that if I burmate them one or both might become ill (even tho they are both in perfect condition)
Mouse Posted - 04/06/2010 : 15:14:08
eeji, who were you replying to?

I'm guessing HannaH, not Tracy

Tracy, please look up breeding tips on this section. There should be lots, but what Jay said is right. If they're too young/small then problems can occur. Mine is over 3, was about 600g ish and is over 5 foot. She got eggbound, but was ok in the end.

I'm sure you would rather wait than have the huge vet bills / potential death that could occur from breeding too early.

xx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000