The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 snake sexing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 04/10/2009 : 09:44:38
Hi all.

I have 2 corn snakes of between 2 and a half and 3 foot. I have had them probed twice. One person said both males (but one of them really wouldn't cooperate and i think he guessed in the end) and the other said both females. Someone is not very good at probing I thought, so I got shown how to do it and did them myself (under supervision). Well I would say that one of them is definatly a girl (which i always thought) but I can see why they got confused by the other one. When I probed this one the probe went in 4 to 4and a half scales. (the other snake was 3 scales). i know that it should be up to 3 scales for a female and over 8 for a male, but with the first person that probed them, he said that this one was just a small male.
do you think this is true? or am i wright in thinking it is actualy just a large female.
i would like to breed them, so would like someone that really is definate that the information is correct to answer please. dont mean to be rude, but i know people guess and i may not be able to tell who they are.
Thanks.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 13/10/2009 : 07:24:00
she has hiper but got two different answers..
hiper2009 Posted - 12/10/2009 : 22:20:55
Why dont you just take the snake down to your local rep shop and let them prob it
matty18714 Posted - 04/10/2009 : 16:52:20
No worries.
n/a Posted - 04/10/2009 : 16:42:01
Thanks again Matty.
That is what I have always thought(female). I will do that and check for the hard stop or spongyness.
It was the length of 4 to 4.5 that threw me. I just needed confermation that a female could measure this much and still be female.
matty18714 Posted - 04/10/2009 : 16:33:10
At 4.5 scales, I would be leaning towards female. It may be worth giving it a week or two, then probing both again (with supervision again if you think you need it) so that you can compare them.
n/a Posted - 04/10/2009 : 16:17:17
HI. matty
I think it felt solid. The trouble is I have only probed my 2 snakes. I also knew about them tensing up. when the other people probed them they didnt like it, I could tell. But they seemed alot more relaxed when I did it.
What do you think about the number of scales?
matty18714 Posted - 04/10/2009 : 15:22:15
Males can tense up when probed and can then be confused with females. Both snakes feel different when probed.

When probing a female, the probe will feel like its hitting a solid surface when it stops. With the male, it wont feel as solid.
n/a Posted - 04/10/2009 : 15:06:45
Thanks Brookestar.
I will try to send a message to GingerPony and see what she says. The people that probed them were also supposed to be breeders, but worked in a shop. which makes it strange that they came up with different answers.
Brookestar Posted - 04/10/2009 : 11:09:08
to be honest with you linda the only way you can ever be certain is getting a breeder to probe them because it sounds like (no offense) but the three times he has been probed no-one was certain. i think you might need to PM GingerPony as she probably knows the most but i think she will probably say the same just to be safe

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000