New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  09:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

I have 2 corn snakes of between 2 and a half and 3 foot. I have had them probed twice. One person said both males (but one of them really wouldn't cooperate and i think he guessed in the end) and the other said both females. Someone is not very good at probing I thought, so I got shown how to do it and did them myself (under supervision). Well I would say that one of them is definatly a girl (which i always thought) but I can see why they got confused by the other one. When I probed this one the probe went in 4 to 4and a half scales. (the other snake was 3 scales). i know that it should be up to 3 scales for a female and over 8 for a male, but with the first person that probed them, he said that this one was just a small male.
do you think this is true? or am i wright in thinking it is actualy just a large female.
i would like to breed them, so would like someone that really is definate that the information is correct to answer please. dont mean to be rude, but i know people guess and i may not be able to tell who they are.
Thanks.

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  11:09:08  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
to be honest with you linda the only way you can ever be certain is getting a breeder to probe them because it sounds like (no offense) but the three times he has been probed no-one was certain. i think you might need to PM GingerPony as she probably knows the most but i think she will probably say the same just to be safe
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  15:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brookestar.
I will try to send a message to GingerPony and see what she says. The people that probed them were also supposed to be breeders, but worked in a shop. which makes it strange that they came up with different answers.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  15:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Males can tense up when probed and can then be confused with females. Both snakes feel different when probed.

When probing a female, the probe will feel like its hitting a solid surface when it stops. With the male, it wont feel as solid.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  16:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI. matty
I think it felt solid. The trouble is I have only probed my 2 snakes. I also knew about them tensing up. when the other people probed them they didnt like it, I could tell. But they seemed alot more relaxed when I did it.
What do you think about the number of scales?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  16:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At 4.5 scales, I would be leaning towards female. It may be worth giving it a week or two, then probing both again (with supervision again if you think you need it) so that you can compare them.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  16:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Matty.
That is what I have always thought(female). I will do that and check for the hard stop or spongyness.
It was the length of 4 to 4.5 that threw me. I just needed confermation that a female could measure this much and still be female.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  16:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  22:20:55  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why dont you just take the snake down to your local rep shop and let them prob it

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  07:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she has hiper but got two different answers..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000