The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 make or buy incubator

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 06/08/2009 : 15:25:50
hi everyone my corn "cash" is pregnant i was just wondering if you would suggest making an incubator or buying one if i make one what do i need to get she hasnt had her pre lay shed yet so i think i got a few weeks yet to get sorted any suggesions gratfully recieved
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KITTYCAT Posted - 15/08/2009 : 16:08:05
Hi My snow layed eggs end of july i didnt know she was pregnant and some of the eggs dried up inside her rock . one has survived i got it just after it was layed its nice n white and getting quite plump. ive used a tupperware with about an inch of vermiculite on the bottom which i bought from a pet shop that sells reptiles, i spray the egg once a week and have kept the box inside the viv all has been well so far just waitin on it hatching hopefully. good luck
n/a Posted - 09/08/2009 : 21:02:32
i have it under the box !! works fine for me

Paul
n/a Posted - 09/08/2009 : 16:27:35
i have the mat in the poly box
Blackecho Posted - 09/08/2009 : 15:11:46
You have the mat under the polybox, or inside on the bottom?

I wouldn't have thought the heat would get through the polystyrene.
n/a Posted - 09/08/2009 : 14:20:14
i just have a polybox with a mat under and the thermostat probe inside i put my eggs into cricket tubs with damp moss and a lid, inc set at 28 degrees which seems to do the trick
most reptile shops will make you a polybox incubator for about 50 pounds with stat and heat
i have a fridge but didnt set it up in time for this year !! so used old trusty !

Paul
Brookestar Posted - 08/08/2009 : 18:26:58
too right eeji
eeji Posted - 08/08/2009 : 12:18:41
if it works, then nobody can knock it ;)
n/a Posted - 08/08/2009 : 00:03:07
I was told anywhere between 60-90 days. This is the most successful and healthiest - in terms of biting ability - batch I've had so far!
eeji Posted - 07/08/2009 : 23:09:58
92 days?!!!!! :O

the average is between 50-60 days. What sort of temperatures did you get inside the box?

....if the stuff you're on about leaves your hands gold after mixing it, then its vermiculite ;)
hillzi Posted - 07/08/2009 : 22:18:03
Yup. eBay and and some on the net, various sites.

I wouldn't put the eggs in with the snakes, I know takeaway boxes have lids but can easily be knocked over, or if the snake sits on them (unlikely) it could split, plus I beleive they would be harder to heat..
SexyBear77 Posted - 07/08/2009 : 20:55:54
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

erm.. bought ones I've seen are around £700.

I'd make one! from a polystirine box that aquraium's get their fish delivered in (I think?) and then fix a heatmat on the WALL of the incubator (i beleive?) with a stat on it; and have th eggs on the vermeticule.

GP's one of the best for things like this :)

really? my local argri store sells incubators for about £120, just take out the rotating mechanism.
Brookestar Posted - 07/08/2009 : 19:11:33
i tried that and mine all died around the 60 day mark
eeji Posted - 07/08/2009 : 19:10:10
use a 4.5l food box with a lid on it - this will help keep in humidity. open the box a few times a week to get some fresh air in and they'll be fine :)
n/a Posted - 07/08/2009 : 13:47:57
So I expect to get lots of frowns but my incubation methods are effectively free and it works. Every egg has hatched this year. I stick a clear takeaway tub with small holes in the lid and add this type of grit that you add water to (can't remember name)in the bottom. I place the eggs in and keep it in the viv with the snakes. Every now and then I would open the lid and spray mist on them and between 60-90 days later they hatch. Last year it was 67 days and this year 92 days.
Kehhlyr Posted - 06/08/2009 : 23:50:07
quote:
Originally posted by sam73

..... he said that a cat litter tray would be ideal to fill with substrate and then to put eggs in so i got one of them too got home and thought well a cat litter tray anit got no lid so the hatchlings would get out and maybe get hurt on the heat mat.......

Should still be ok, even if they get out.
Seeing as it's on a 'stat then it shouldn't be so hot that it'd burn.
Brookestar Posted - 06/08/2009 : 22:41:15
my corn has only just laid her eggs within the last week. corns can potentially lay all year round although its very unusual
n/a Posted - 06/08/2009 : 22:11:35
the guy in the pet shop said that normally all corns have laid and hatched by now is this ture and will this effect them knowing my luck i wont end up with any
n/a Posted - 06/08/2009 : 22:09:34
hi everyone i went to the pet shop and got a poly box with lid that fish come in also got another heat mat and a thermostat he said that a cat litter tray would be ideal to fill with substrate and then to put eggs in so i got one of them too got home and thought well a cat litter tray anit got no lid so the hatchlings would get out and maybe get hurt on the heat mat i was thinking of using a chinese food tub as they have lids on i use then in my vivs as hides. When do you think i should set this incubator up is it when she has her shed she had a feed last sat should i wait till sat or before to offer her another one as she has been very active in her tank as if she is hunting look forward to hearing your advive
eeji Posted - 06/08/2009 : 20:54:54
thats not a bad idea! :D
hillzi Posted - 06/08/2009 : 19:22:57
out of a fridge! good idea, theyr'e really good at insulation aswell!

maybe you can wire up a camera to spy on them aswell Eeji? Would be good to see them enter the big world, have to be carefull incase they get stuck in the fridge.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000