Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

79 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  15:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi everyone my corn "cash" is pregnant i was just wondering if you would suggest making an incubator or buying one if i make one what do i need to get she hasnt had her pre lay shed yet so i think i got a few weeks yet to get sorted any suggesions gratfully recieved

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  16:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
erm.. bought ones I've seen are around £700.

I'd make one! from a polystirine box that aquraium's get their fish delivered in (I think?) and then fix a heatmat on the WALL of the incubator (i beleive?) with a stat on it; and have th eggs on the vermeticule.

GP's one of the best for things like this :)
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  18:53:38  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
polystyrene box with a heat mat on the wall with a stat. damp sand in the bottome and put your eggs in a plastic box filled with vermicilite and cover with moss or newspaper.

you can get your poly box from a pet shop normally for free
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  19:04:57  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i used a home made poly box incubator this year too - i have the mat on the lid though I'll be using it again next year because I'll probably only have a few clutches, then for the year after I'll be looking at making a bigger incubator out of a fridge.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  19:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
out of a fridge! good idea, theyr'e really good at insulation aswell!

maybe you can wire up a camera to spy on them aswell Eeji? Would be good to see them enter the big world, have to be carefull incase they get stuck in the fridge.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  20:54:54  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats not a bad idea! :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

79 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  22:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi everyone i went to the pet shop and got a poly box with lid that fish come in also got another heat mat and a thermostat he said that a cat litter tray would be ideal to fill with substrate and then to put eggs in so i got one of them too got home and thought well a cat litter tray anit got no lid so the hatchlings would get out and maybe get hurt on the heat mat i was thinking of using a chinese food tub as they have lids on i use then in my vivs as hides. When do you think i should set this incubator up is it when she has her shed she had a feed last sat should i wait till sat or before to offer her another one as she has been very active in her tank as if she is hunting look forward to hearing your advive
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

79 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  22:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the guy in the pet shop said that normally all corns have laid and hatched by now is this ture and will this effect them knowing my luck i wont end up with any
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  22:41:15  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my corn has only just laid her eggs within the last week. corns can potentially lay all year round although its very unusual
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  23:50:07  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sam73

..... he said that a cat litter tray would be ideal to fill with substrate and then to put eggs in so i got one of them too got home and thought well a cat litter tray anit got no lid so the hatchlings would get out and maybe get hurt on the heat mat.......

Should still be ok, even if they get out.
Seeing as it's on a 'stat then it shouldn't be so hot that it'd burn.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  13:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I expect to get lots of frowns but my incubation methods are effectively free and it works. Every egg has hatched this year. I stick a clear takeaway tub with small holes in the lid and add this type of grit that you add water to (can't remember name)in the bottom. I place the eggs in and keep it in the viv with the snakes. Every now and then I would open the lid and spray mist on them and between 60-90 days later they hatch. Last year it was 67 days and this year 92 days.

Anery Motley F: Callisto
Snow M: Europa
Carolina Reverse Okeetee F: Io
Anery Motley F: Kinky
Snow F: Maite

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  19:10:10  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
use a 4.5l food box with a lid on it - this will help keep in humidity. open the box a few times a week to get some fresh air in and they'll be fine :)

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  19:11:33  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i tried that and mine all died around the 60 day mark
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  20:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

erm.. bought ones I've seen are around £700.

I'd make one! from a polystirine box that aquraium's get their fish delivered in (I think?) and then fix a heatmat on the WALL of the incubator (i beleive?) with a stat on it; and have th eggs on the vermeticule.

GP's one of the best for things like this :)

really? my local argri store sells incubators for about £120, just take out the rotating mechanism.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  22:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup. eBay and and some on the net, various sites.

I wouldn't put the eggs in with the snakes, I know takeaway boxes have lids but can easily be knocked over, or if the snake sits on them (unlikely) it could split, plus I beleive they would be harder to heat..
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  23:09:58  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
92 days?!!!!! :O

the average is between 50-60 days. What sort of temperatures did you get inside the box?

....if the stuff you're on about leaves your hands gold after mixing it, then its vermiculite ;)

Edited by - eeji on 07/08/2009 23:12:27
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  00:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told anywhere between 60-90 days. This is the most successful and healthiest - in terms of biting ability - batch I've had so far!

Anery Motley F: Callisto
Snow M: Europa
Carolina Reverse Okeetee F: Io
Anery Motley F: Kinky
Snow F: Maite

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  12:18:41  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if it works, then nobody can knock it ;)

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  18:26:58  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
too right eeji
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

93 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  14:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just have a polybox with a mat under and the thermostat probe inside i put my eggs into cricket tubs with damp moss and a lid, inc set at 28 degrees which seems to do the trick
most reptile shops will make you a polybox incubator for about 50 pounds with stat and heat
i have a fridge but didnt set it up in time for this year !! so used old trusty !

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  15:11:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You have the mat under the polybox, or inside on the bottom?

I wouldn't have thought the heat would get through the polystyrene.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000