The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 how large should male corn snakes be to breed?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Moppet Posted - 30/12/2012 : 02:09:06
Okay so this may be a daft question, but how big does a male corn snake need to be to breed for the first time (big enough to be 'interested' and to be safely put with an adult female)? I think I read somewhere 200g?

I've been researching like mad because I hope to breed my anery male with my normal female in spring 2014.

He's currently a year and a half old and growing like mad to try to catch up (17g at a year old after fed maintenance diet by petshop!) and she's 4 years old, a proven female but quite small, only 340g and 3 ft 9 long.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Moppet Posted - 30/12/2012 : 23:57:11
That makes sense, I wouldn't want him to make himself unwell. He's putting on weight and length like mad at a moment. He grew another 10cm in length last month! Nearly at the 100g mark currently so I think by spring 2014 he should hopefully be around 300g. I guess it is all up to him really, I'm just going to continue feeding him every 7-14 days on smalls (until he's ready for mediums) and see how he does

Thanks for the advice kev5
kev 5 Posted - 30/12/2012 : 22:17:06
he should be fine by the spring of 2014.try and get him to 300grams. It can take a lot out of a male corn in the breeding season. some won't eat for months during the breeding season so you don't want them to be to small at the start of breeding season. I had a male snow corn that didn't eat for 4 months in the breeding season and lost over 100gms.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000