Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 how large should male corn snakes be to breed?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  02:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay so this may be a daft question, but how big does a male corn snake need to be to breed for the first time (big enough to be 'interested' and to be safely put with an adult female)? I think I read somewhere 200g?

I've been researching like mad because I hope to breed my anery male with my normal female in spring 2014.

He's currently a year and a half old and growing like mad to try to catch up (17g at a year old after fed maintenance diet by petshop!) and she's 4 years old, a proven female but quite small, only 340g and 3 ft 9 long.

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  22:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he should be fine by the spring of 2014.try and get him to 300grams. It can take a lot out of a male corn in the breeding season. some won't eat for months during the breeding season so you don't want them to be to small at the start of breeding season. I had a male snow corn that didn't eat for 4 months in the breeding season and lost over 100gms.

Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  23:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That makes sense, I wouldn't want him to make himself unwell. He's putting on weight and length like mad at a moment. He grew another 10cm in length last month! Nearly at the 100g mark currently so I think by spring 2014 he should hopefully be around 300g. I guess it is all up to him really, I'm just going to continue feeding him every 7-14 days on smalls (until he's ready for mediums) and see how he does

Thanks for the advice kev5

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000