The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Could someone help in advance please?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Emmerz Posted - 18/10/2012 : 16:04:32
Last year without knowing I unfortunately put which I thought was 2 females together and one morning when I came to check on them I came across 11 eggs, unfortunately after a a month or so they were all infertile.In breeding season next year I am planning to breed the two together again. I put the eggs in dampened perlite in a polystyrene box. In a spare tank underneath a spotlight at about 30c. Did I do anything wrong and is the same set-up suitable for next time?!? Was I just unlucky, I was so excited and they were due for yesterday which put a downer on my day:( please help!
((((Still trying to convince my mum and dad that having more snakes is good for preparing for my GSCE's - god knows how it's working;) ))))
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
QueenVic Posted - 29/10/2012 : 15:20:17
quote:
Originally posted by Emmerz

This is how I first found them, as it came as such a shock I had no idea what to do, so put them in a spare tank and marked them on the right way up as i read on a forum on here

I'd advise you use pencil to mark them too,
the pen you have used looks like wet ink, and as the eggs absorb water they will absorb some of the ink and may harm the snake.

I doubt that is why they died, but just a tip :)
marc_sg Posted - 27/10/2012 : 18:10:56
Heres the threads on how i made my incubators

Polystyrene box

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21630&SearchTerms=how,i,made,my,incubator

Beer fridge

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23855&SearchTerms=how,i,made,my,incubator
marc_sg Posted - 27/10/2012 : 17:40:56
Ive got two different ways of making an incubator on here ill find them for you
Emmerz Posted - 23/10/2012 : 15:15:15
Georgina, they all went mouldy:( thanks a33272, it wasn't like these eggs were planned and I hadn't even researched anything about cornsnake eggs as at that time I didn't want to breed them. But I have managed to convince the parents of doing this instead of buying snakes is much better:-)
a33272 Posted - 23/10/2012 : 13:18:35
I think the issue that has been missed here is the eggs where put in a polystyrene box under a lamp.... The polystyrene box would of acted as an insulater, so the eggs proberly didnt get anywhere near warm enough.
Georgina Posted - 22/10/2012 : 20:42:06
What do they look like now? Have you candles them?
kev 5 Posted - 22/10/2012 : 19:59:48
they look good to me.
Emmerz Posted - 22/10/2012 : 17:42:47
They looked perfectly fine to me and I compared them to healthy eggs on here.
Emmerz Posted - 19/10/2012 : 16:47:28

This is how I first found them, as it came as such a shock I had no idea what to do, so put them in a spare tank and marked them on the right way up as i read on a forum on here
Moppet Posted - 19/10/2012 : 14:06:14
Are you sure of the genders of your snakes? It's just that females can sometimes decide to lay infertile eggs without being mated or with a male. What did the eggs look like? Were they fertile or were they slugs?
Isoldael Posted - 19/10/2012 : 13:47:59
I used a plastic boiled-egg-bucket (the irony) with airholes in it, and put it into a viv. The heat lamp and the fact that the heat was trapped inside the bucket made it a constant 28-29 degrees. I've had no trouble at all with the incubating so far except with some eggs that weren't fertile in the first place, so I suppose it's possible with a lamp :). Like the others said, just make sure your humidity and temp are right, and that the eggs were fertile in the first place. Remember, a female can lay eggs even if she hasn't been in contact with a male at all!
QueenVic Posted - 19/10/2012 : 13:14:56
oh, ill just add that high temperatures are much more dangerous than low ones. Low temps (within reason) will result in longer incubation times without effecting the health of the baby.
Whereas higher temperatures, as Eeji said can prove fatal after only a few hours of exposure.
QueenVic Posted - 19/10/2012 : 13:13:05
It's not advised to use a makeshif incubator.
I once used a viv for mine and the results were very poor.

Theres a thread that tells you how to make a polystyrene incubator which I think would be much more effective. (thats what im doing this season)

Also, are you sure they were fertile to begin with?
It seems that after only a month in what you've described as quite average conditions shouldn't have killed them..

I'd do some serious research (buy Kathy Love's book!) before this coming season, and do it by the book as much as you can.

I also prefer to incubate at lower temperatures than what is usually used, I am incubating at about 78F this year as I have read evidence that longer incubation results in bigger, healthier babies and considerably less non-feeders.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!
eeji Posted - 18/10/2012 : 17:43:00
possibly too high a temperature (constant 30+ will kill them off) or the substrate is too wet
paulie78 Posted - 18/10/2012 : 16:42:15
Ive never heard of anyone doing it this way not sure how succesfull or accurate it would be most people either use heat cable or a mat inside the box suspend the box containing the eggs a few inchs above the heat source on an improvised rack/shelf type device and attach the mat to a stat i really cant see a spotlight over a polybox acheiving stable consistent temps inside but thats just me lol

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000