Could someone help in advance please?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emmerz
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  16:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year without knowing I unfortunately put which I thought was 2 females together and one morning when I came to check on them I came across 11 eggs, unfortunately after a a month or so they were all infertile.In breeding season next year I am planning to breed the two together again. I put the eggs in dampened perlite in a polystyrene box. In a spare tank underneath a spotlight at about 30c. Did I do anything wrong and is the same set-up suitable for next time?!? Was I just unlucky, I was so excited and they were due for yesterday which put a downer on my day:( please help!
((((Still trying to convince my mum and dad that having more snakes is good for preparing for my GSCE's - god knows how it's working;) ))))

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  16:42:15  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive never heard of anyone doing it this way not sure how succesfull or accurate it would be most people either use heat cable or a mat inside the box suspend the box containing the eggs a few inchs above the heat source on an improvised rack/shelf type device and attach the mat to a stat i really cant see a spotlight over a polybox acheiving stable consistent temps inside but thats just me lol

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  17:43:00  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
possibly too high a temperature (constant 30+ will kill them off) or the substrate is too wet

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2012 :  13:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not advised to use a makeshif incubator.
I once used a viv for mine and the results were very poor.

Theres a thread that tells you how to make a polystyrene incubator which I think would be much more effective. (thats what im doing this season)

Also, are you sure they were fertile to begin with?
It seems that after only a month in what you've described as quite average conditions shouldn't have killed them..

I'd do some serious research (buy Kathy Love's book!) before this coming season, and do it by the book as much as you can.

I also prefer to incubate at lower temperatures than what is usually used, I am incubating at about 78F this year as I have read evidence that longer incubation results in bigger, healthier babies and considerably less non-feeders.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2012 :  13:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, ill just add that high temperatures are much more dangerous than low ones. Low temps (within reason) will result in longer incubation times without effecting the health of the baby.
Whereas higher temperatures, as Eeji said can prove fatal after only a few hours of exposure.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2012 :  13:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a plastic boiled-egg-bucket (the irony) with airholes in it, and put it into a viv. The heat lamp and the fact that the heat was trapped inside the bucket made it a constant 28-29 degrees. I've had no trouble at all with the incubating so far except with some eggs that weren't fertile in the first place, so I suppose it's possible with a lamp :). Like the others said, just make sure your humidity and temp are right, and that the eggs were fertile in the first place. Remember, a female can lay eggs even if she hasn't been in contact with a male at all!

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page

Moppet
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3315 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2012 :  14:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure of the genders of your snakes? It's just that females can sometimes decide to lay infertile eggs without being mated or with a male. What did the eggs look like? Were they fertile or were they slugs?

2.4.0 Corn snakes
1.0.0 horse
0.1.0 Golden retriever
1.4.0 Guinea pigs
Go to Top of Page

Emmerz
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2012 :  16:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is how I first found them, as it came as such a shock I had no idea what to do, so put them in a spare tank and marked them on the right way up as i read on a forum on here
Go to Top of Page

Emmerz
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  17:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They looked perfectly fine to me and I compared them to healthy eggs on here.
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  19:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they look good to me.

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2012 :  20:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do they look like now? Have you candles them?

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2012 :  13:18:35  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think the issue that has been missed here is the eggs where put in a polystyrene box under a lamp.... The polystyrene box would of acted as an insulater, so the eggs proberly didnt get anywhere near warm enough.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Emmerz
Hatchling

166 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2012 :  15:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Georgina, they all went mouldy:( thanks a33272, it wasn't like these eggs were planned and I hadn't even researched anything about cornsnake eggs as at that time I didn't want to breed them. But I have managed to convince the parents of doing this instead of buying snakes is much better:-)
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  17:40:56  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ive got two different ways of making an incubator on here ill find them for you

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  18:10:56  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Heres the threads on how i made my incubators

Polystyrene box

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21630&SearchTerms=how,i,made,my,incubator

Beer fridge

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23855&SearchTerms=how,i,made,my,incubator

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2012 :  15:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emmerz

This is how I first found them, as it came as such a shock I had no idea what to do, so put them in a spare tank and marked them on the right way up as i read on a forum on here

I'd advise you use pencil to mark them too,
the pen you have used looks like wet ink, and as the eggs absorb water they will absorb some of the ink and may harm the snake.

I doubt that is why they died, but just a tip :)

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000