The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Year round breeding?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Leedxmg Posted - 24/09/2012 : 15:06:42
Hi, not really big up on corns but I bought a breeding pair the other day to have a go at breeding before I move on to my royals as they aren't old or heavy enough yet. The male is a creamsicle and the female is a caramel.

Can you breed corns year round? I guess the fertility and egg count would be lower but will they breed successfully?

Also, what would the morphs chances be from this pairing? Finding corn morphs difficult to get my head around!
Help would be much appreciated! Thanks
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
QueenVic Posted - 18/10/2012 : 10:52:41
quote:
Originally posted by kev 5

i never brumate my corns and they breed every year

brumation is just for when you wish them to breed at a different time of year to the natural early spring time i think.

I would love to breed mine now, but as its just coming up to winter i dont think ill have much luck.

Is there a way to brumate quickly or is it necessary to do it over a long period of time?
eeji Posted - 26/09/2012 : 22:07:35
usually after the second or third shed of the year, but mine always seem to breed late in the season
Leedxmg Posted - 26/09/2012 : 14:10:09
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

no, its not necessary with corns

Do you have a certain date when you start pairing?
eeji Posted - 25/09/2012 : 21:28:15
no, its not necessary with corns
kev 5 Posted - 25/09/2012 : 12:16:18
i never brumate my corns and they breed every year
Leedxmg Posted - 24/09/2012 : 21:23:25
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

chances are they won't breed at this time of year, but even if they do there is an even bigger chance your female won't be ovulating so you won't get any results except a stressed female. The best bet for a good and healthy clutch is to wait for the right time of year (early spring)

The babies would be 'rootbeer' which is a normal coloured corn x emoryi hybrid - you'll probably get about a fiver each for them.

Thanks for that :) can I ask of brumation is essential or not also? You seem to have alot of corns and know what you're talking about! :)
eeji Posted - 24/09/2012 : 20:39:19
chances are they won't breed at this time of year, but even if they do there is an even bigger chance your female won't be ovulating so you won't get any results except a stressed female. The best bet for a good and healthy clutch is to wait for the right time of year (early spring)

The babies would be 'rootbeer' which is a normal coloured corn x emoryi hybrid - you'll probably get about a fiver each for them.
Leedxmg Posted - 24/09/2012 : 17:27:44
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

if they are old enough and big enough and the female hasnt bred this season you could or you could research first isnt just a case nof chucking them together

I've done most of my research, thanks for the info :) just really want to have a bash at breeding! :)
SexyBear77 Posted - 24/09/2012 : 17:26:02
You need to ask yourself why you suddenly want to breed. Corns aren't like royals- both lay eggs, which hatch baby snakes, but that's about it.

You will also, as already mentioned, only be producing hybrids, of which there is no real market. Are you willing to look after and pay for however many baby snakes until they finally sell? I have 11 from this year, 5 non/fussy feeders, 6 for sale, all cost me money and take up time.

Have you done your research into breeding? Do you know your female is 100% healthy and ready to breed? How big is she? What weight is she?
gmac Posted - 24/09/2012 : 17:23:11
if they are old enough and big enough and the female hasnt bred this season you could or you could research first isnt just a case nof chucking them together
Leedxmg Posted - 24/09/2012 : 17:10:42
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

yes corns can breed at any time of the year, however should only be bred once a year. As for morphs from this pairing, you wont get any corn morphs just hybrids ad creamsicle is hybrid, great plains rat x amel, therefor all babies will be hybrids and not corns

So I could basically just throw the male in now and they could possibly lock up ? I'm really keen aha
Leedxmg Posted - 24/09/2012 : 16:55:56
Thanks all!
gmac Posted - 24/09/2012 : 15:46:11
yes corns can breed at any time of the year, however should only be bred once a year. As for morphs from this pairing, you wont get any corn morphs just hybrids ad creamsicle is hybrid, great plains rat x amel, therefor all babies will be hybrids and not corns
Figs Posted - 24/09/2012 : 15:44:45
Not sure about the year round breeding - i suppose it depends on the lighting/temperatures they are kept at, and how randy the snakes are lol

Morph wise, you'd get 'normals' het amel and caramel
Creamsicles are hybrids so any babies would be hybrids too

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000