The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Gravid corn? Is this normal?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BayBeeCorns Posted - 16/06/2012 : 22:27:16
Hi,

I have had my pair of corns (breeding pair) for just over a year now, i have seen them mate a few times, but mostly at night just before going to bed.

I feed them every 10-14 days normally, and by then they are hungry and ALWAYS ready to eat.

When I got her out just over a week ago to feed her, she was uninterested, and just 'wasn't right'. She was making a strange sneezing kind of sound.

My mum noticed that her 'spine' was showing and thought she may be dehydrated, when i looked this up on the internet it was said to be a sign that she was in fact, 'gravid'.

My mum immediately rung up the vets and booked an appointment which was a few hours later. She was put on antibiotics and I was told she will slowly improve, he said she could be pregnant, but he couldn't be completely sure. On the way home in the car, she started to shed (typical).

No doubt she has improved now! She barely 'sneezes' anymore. BUT.... She is still not eating, which is very strange for her!

About 4 days ago I noticed I could feel very clear bulges from about half way, down to her vent.

You can see where she starts to look more plump about half way down, and I think you can slightly see the outlines of the eggs, but it could just be my imagination

What do you think?

Oh, one last question, is it possible for a corn to be gravid in June? From what I have read, she should have laid her eggs by now?

Thanks for your help!!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BayBeeCorns Posted - 18/06/2012 : 19:30:14
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by BayBeeCorns

Sorry, a bit confused. When did I say the vet gave my snake an injection? I said she was put on antibiotics.... :)

Sorry, some antibiotics can be injected got confused. I still don't see why he gave her antibiotics though? Only reason to do this would be if she had an infection of if really ill?

He said it was possible she had an RI he took a swab from her nose and it was sent off, I'm waiting to hear from the results. She seems to be better now though. He gave me anti's that she takes orally. But if the tests come back, and she is worse than expected, she will be put on different anti's.
Sta~ple Posted - 18/06/2012 : 19:16:46
quote:
Originally posted by BayBeeCorns

Sorry, a bit confused. When did I say the vet gave my snake an injection? I said she was put on antibiotics.... :)

Sorry, some antibiotics can be injected got confused. I still don't see why he gave her antibiotics though? Only reason to do this would be if she had an infection of if really ill?
kev 5 Posted - 17/06/2012 : 21:32:48
dont see the need myself, just sounds like a gravid female
BayBeeCorns Posted - 17/06/2012 : 21:28:29
marc_sg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 18:48:37
Lol it is sunday
AcidicAngel Posted - 17/06/2012 : 18:44:23
Marc Pre shed is what I meant, I forgot what it was called... Being a bit slow today...
marc_sg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 18:35:12
Personally i seperate my male from when she goes into her pre shed till about 8/9 weeks. If she double clutches then i wait another 4 weeks till she gets a good bit of weight back on
AcidicAngel Posted - 17/06/2012 : 18:29:49
Chicken Incubators are no good anyway as Chicken eggs need to be turned every so often so the incubator does this automatically everytime they need it, do this with reptile eggs and they'll die...

About removing the male, I'd say keep him away for a good while. When I breed mine next year I'll be separating him for 4-6 weeks when she's ready to lay.
marc_sg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 16:08:21
I would have thought that injecting a female carrying any form of offspring wether mammel or reptile i thought it could make the body reject the developing fetus or eggs
Sta~ple Posted - 17/06/2012 : 15:44:07
quote:
Originally posted by Isoldael

Not so sure about that. I separated my male and female when Saphira was gravid, but she seemed to refuse to get into the nest box until he was back in the viv :p

As her moving piece of viv furniture went and made the viv seem bigger. Males are sex pests, and will pester gravid females.

Sankes are not humans, do not apply human emotions to them, they do not cuddle.

Chicken incubators are not ideal if it is the type I am thinking of with a bulb.

I have no idea why your vet would give your snake an injection, what was the reason? Seems a bit pointless.
marc_sg Posted - 17/06/2012 : 11:31:12
When shes laying he will try and get in the nest box stressing her out. If she gets too stressed then she may keep hols of the eggs. So i would simply put a sheet of poly styrene in the middle of the viv and give them half the heat mat each. Also once shes laid he will try mating again. And where she will be so drained again this could stress her again. She may double clutch without re mating about 6 weeks after laying the first clutch. So yeah i wud seperate them on a temp basis if ur happy with them co habitating.

With the incubator the chick egg incubator i dont no how that work but the polystyrene box it only cost the price of a thermostat and a 22w heat mate or 2x7w heat mats and u can get the box from a fish mongers. And its urs to keep. The beer fridge is the same i went to the local dump and got mine coz it had been de gased and then i cut all the pipping out. But either way u no it works for what u need.
BayBeeCorns Posted - 17/06/2012 : 10:59:58
I haven't got an incubator at the moment, but my mum's boss has chickens and he uses an incubator or his chicken eggs, I was going to ask him to borrow it for a few months, would that be OK?

And about separating them, I separated them a few days ago, and they were both very restless, head butting everything and wanting to come out, so i put him back in and they both went and cuddled in the corner, is it absolutely necessary I take him out? They have been together 24/7 for 4-5 years and have only ever had one clutch before?
Isoldael Posted - 17/06/2012 : 10:17:31
Not so sure about that. I separated my male and female when Saphira was gravid, but she seemed to refuse to get into the nest box until he was back in the viv :p
Sta~ple Posted - 17/06/2012 : 09:08:09
Are they sharing the same viv at the moment? If so your are going to have to sepearte them.
marc_sg Posted - 16/06/2012 : 23:59:39

Heres my old incubator.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21630&SearchTerms=how,i,made,my,incubator

Heres my new beer fridge incubator which seems to work really well. Much better than the polystyrene box

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24434
marc_sg Posted - 16/06/2012 : 23:52:48
Have u got an incubator
BayBeeCorns Posted - 16/06/2012 : 23:01:17
quote:
Originally posted by kev 5

if you have seen them mate she could be getting ready to lay a fertile clutch of eggs. was it your plan to breed them?

Yes, i was planning on breeding them, I just wanted to learn a bit more about it first... Good job I am a fast learner :D
kev 5 Posted - 16/06/2012 : 22:36:43
if you have seen them mate she could be getting ready to lay a fertile clutch of eggs. was it your plan to breed them?
BayBeeCorns Posted - 16/06/2012 : 22:33:25
quote:
Originally posted by kev 5

could well be eggs you can feel. corns can breed any time of year. could of been a pre laying shed which means you need to put a laying box in her viv

OK, thanks.

Could it be possible for it to be a phantom pregnancy? All the eggs are infertile? or is that unlikely?
kev 5 Posted - 16/06/2012 : 22:30:13
could well be eggs you can feel. corns can breed any time of year. could of been a pre laying shed which means you need to put a laying box in her viv

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000