The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Will it happen?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AcidicAngel Posted - 30/05/2012 : 11:01:55
Ho all, first off I'm new here.
Secondly, I've got 2 corn snakes. A male and a female who live together.

The male is a butter corn and the female is a carolina corn.

Now, I was planning to breed them this year but they just don't seem to know it's breeding season... I've had the male about 2-3 weeks and he's settled perfectly fine, they get on so well. The female started shedding when the male was introduced as I was told would happen. I was told that when she finished shedding he should have been all over her as she would release pheromones for him to follow but they are just ignoring each other. If anything she was the more active of the 2, exploring and crawling all over him.

I've had them both probed so am sure what gender they are, both of them are 5ft long. The male is 2 1/2 years old and the female is 6 years old, I've had her a lot longer.

Oh and their names are Sakana(F)and Cereus(M).
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AcidicAngel Posted - 31/05/2012 : 23:50:00
I am waiting till next year and it seems they're too. I've got everything incase she is gravid but I'm not hopeful.
Sta~ple Posted - 31/05/2012 : 22:57:41
Yes there is proof snakes don't like company, read the co-hab thread. I doubt snakes really enjoy anything, just a matter of preference or stress and snakes certainly can get stressed when cohabbed. I never meant on the way the snake was like OMG I HATE IT! Just that they are more prone to stress and don't have a choice so just tolerate it.

I would wait until next year to try anything though myself, though if you plan to keep in the same viv I would have an incubator ready and everything else at hand as they can breed through out the year, I've seen mine mate in the Christmas period!
AcidicAngel Posted - 31/05/2012 : 22:35:04
I have a spray bottle to lightly mist them every now and then. I agree that it's not proven snakes don't like company.

My Girlfriends male is still eating happily, not even looking at the other female who is off her food(the one he lives with), I regulate to give them that little extra idea of what time of year it is but I don't do it manually what I mean is if it's hot I ave my window open and their temperature changes dependent on what it's like outside.
ashby_steve Posted - 31/05/2012 : 22:00:49
Firstly there is no proof that snakes don't like being cohabited, we house a male and female together and they're fine
infact, the female my snake was originally with was removed and he became so inactive and grumpy, as soon as he had a friend he was back to his old self again, just make sure you have a spare viv for the male if your female does become gravid. As previously said a male will carry on trying to mate when the female is pregnant.

secondly in regards to breeding, try getting a spray bottle and mist your snakes with it
fools them into thinking that it is spring, works on mine everytime :)

not too much though i might add, high humidity isn't great for corns
hope this helps!
Sta~ple Posted - 31/05/2012 : 21:39:50
If they live together your not really planning on breeding your expecting them too lol. Males can breed as young as 1 I think, so yeah your friends snake could have done the deed.

They don't like each others company, they tolerate it, they don't have the voice box to go "go away, I don't like you!" they are simply in the best part of the viv. It doesn't matter who else keeps their gravid snake in with a male whilst the lay, it's simply not good, others may have more experience but it is not something a noob should do. They can hold off laying eggs if people take the occasional peek to having a constant sex pest in the viv or another pieces of moving furniture or threat is going to put them off even more.

900g for a 5ft snake is very large, she doesn't look big on the pictures but chunky girl snakes trying to lay eggs can cause problems, just as a heads up. And why do you relegate your vivs temperature to what it is outside :/ it should never go above 30. You don't need to do anything with temps to make cornsnakes mate.
AcidicAngel Posted - 31/05/2012 : 21:09:08
She's not put on weight but she hasn't dropped either... She's stayed the same, may have lost a tiny amount but nothing crucial...

Before she stopped eating she was a little on the large side anyway weighing in at 900 grams...

Well they're sharing the 'RUB' I've put in for her, looked cute when they both turned to look at me.

These 2 really do seem to like each others company because if you separate them they just won't move, like if you have one out of the viv and leave the other in, they both just stay still. Then you put them back together and they just go straight up to each other, curl up together and won't leave each other now. They went through a stage of ignoring each other and now I've been told they may wait till next season to breed as I regulate my vivs temperature dependent on outside just a little warmer. Say if it's cold one day their viv drops to 26 Degrees Celsius, if it's warm it goes up to 30/32 Degrees Celsius so they feel the difference every day.
kev 5 Posted - 31/05/2012 : 10:54:37
alot of corns go off their food in the breeding season. keep an eye on her weight, has she put on weight even though she hasn't eaten?. you've said you can't seperate them so there's not to much you can do. if they're a pair theres every chance it will happen so just be prepared
AcidicAngel Posted - 31/05/2012 : 10:03:05
I thought false results were given through Popping as males can clench and hold them in?

Though I did 3 other home tests on both and got the same result for them as I was told when I had the probbed.
AcidicAngel Posted - 31/05/2012 : 10:00:06
Well she hasn't eaten for a good 11-12 weeks and the male is also obviously off his food...
This is the last time she ate on the 6th April.

I'd say she's female because if she wasn't wouldn't she have bred with my Girlfriends female corn when they shared a viv for a good 2 weeks... Also my Girlfriends female corn is off her food too but the male isn't...
Mnementh Posted - 31/05/2012 : 01:03:05
quote:
Originally posted by AcidicAngel

Well she has 2 of those 'gravid' signs but that's it male not showing interest and she's refused food since the beginning of the breeding season.

How long has that been if you don't mind me asking ? It's usually the males that go off food , I've never had a female go off food ever , unless its right before she is due to lay :)
SexyBear77 Posted - 30/05/2012 : 23:23:18
quote:
Originally posted by AcidicAngel

Plus doesn't the other person who live streams his laying process and egg development keep them together even when she's laying?

Yeah, but I wouldn't recommend that to a novice keeper/breeder in a month of Sundays, and it's certainly not something I'd ever do myself.
kdlang Posted - 30/05/2012 : 22:23:28
It's my understanding that a snake probed as female can actually be male as they can clench and cause a false result. That is why we have so many accidental matings when corns are housed together. People think they are housing 2 females together when in fact one is actually male. I would only ever co-habit snakes that are proven through breeding to be same sex. (actually, I don't ever plan to co-habit but thats a subject for another thread).

Also I guess snakes are like most other animals. They are all different and while some females will be ok with a male in the tank while they are gravid, others wont like it at all.
AcidicAngel Posted - 30/05/2012 : 20:05:49
Well she has 2 of those 'gravid' signs but that's it male not showing interest and she's refused food since the beginning of the breeding season. I literally cannot remove him currently, nothing to put him in and I've been told that they will be fine together even during laying. Plus doesn't the other person who live streams his laying process and egg development keep them together even when she's laying?

When they were probed they were probed by an expert and someone who keeps, breeds and sells corn snakes and other snakes.
For Sakana it went 4 scales in and just came to a dead stop = female, for Cereus it went 10 scales in and bounced back a little instead of stopping dead = male.
eeji Posted - 30/05/2012 : 19:25:48
there is of course the chance that whoever probed them got it wrong and they're not a pair.
SexyBear77 Posted - 30/05/2012 : 19:05:44
If she is gravid then you really want to think about splitting them both up, laying can be a very stressful time for a female, and no matter how much you say they get along, snakes do not *like* cohabiting- at best, they tolerate it. There is also the strong possibility that, if your corn is gravid, the male will simply pester her for sex once she has got these eggs out of the way, resulting in a second clutch she is unfit to cope with.

Both stress and double clutching can result in egg-binding, a potentially fatal condition for females which can require expensive veterinary treatment. Re-homing the male, even in something temporary like an RUB, is by far the most sensible option here.

Signs of being gravid-
Grumpiness
Weight gain
Heavier appearance around bottom end of body
Noticeable bulges
Refusal of food
Male not showing interest in mating

Best of luck.
AcidicAngel Posted - 30/05/2012 : 18:54:31
My female was put with Katie's(GF) male about 4-5 weeks ago as that's when her viv broke...
AcidicAngel Posted - 30/05/2012 : 18:53:42
Moving around happened a good 2-3 weeks ago and the female was added to the males tank because her's was a bit broken.
Tasha89 Posted - 30/05/2012 : 16:12:27
Just a suggestion but they could be put off by the moving around? Also did you put the female into the males tank or vice versa?
AcidicAngel Posted - 30/05/2012 : 12:30:36
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

woooah hes a beauty! xx

He really is. I'll get a more recent one of him later in the week when I manage to get a new phone.
Mamma Posted - 30/05/2012 : 12:26:33
woooah hes a beauty! xx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000