The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Can someone explain?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ScalySituation Posted - 24/10/2011 : 12:45:41
Hi all, i'm starting to get my head around morphs, not that great with ID yet tho, but could someone please explain what hets are??

Thanks in advance

Scaly xx (and Sonny)
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 24/10/2011 : 19:36:23
To expand on Sues post a little more....

quote:
Originally posted by polarchick

Het is short for heterozygous - a snake (in fact all organisms with DNA) has 2 copies of each gene coding for a particular characteristic, one inherited from each parent. these can be the same (both normal or both the same mutation - called homozygous) or different (one normal one mutated or two different mutations - heterozygous).
Most corn morph genes are recessive to normal, ie if the snake is heterozygous (has a normal gene and a recessive morph gene) then it will look normal. So although it carries the morph gene it looks normal. However if it is mated with another snake with the same morph gene then it has a chance of inheriting that same mutated gene from each parent and producing offspring which are homozygous for the morph gene, ie look like the morph. So a snake het for (for example) amelanism will look normal, but carries a copy of the amel gene and is capable of producing amel offspring if mated with a snake which also carries the amel gene.

There is quite a good genetics tutorial at

http://serpwidgets.com/main/genetics01

Hope this helps,

Sue

polarchick Posted - 24/10/2011 : 13:40:19
quote:
Originally posted by mkmattyk

they are genes that you get from your mum or dad that normally wouldnt show but you can pass to your childern
No dumbness here mkmattyk, that line in your post is spot on!
mkmattyk Posted - 24/10/2011 : 13:36:08
thanks polarchick, but thats how i could have explained in it simplist form. (not saying anyone is dumb on here, if anything its me thats dumb)
polarchick Posted - 24/10/2011 : 13:31:57
That's kind of right, although another explanation could be that your dad could be brunette het blonde so that you got a blonde gene from each of your parents and you are in fact homozygous for blonde. It depends on which of the genes is dominant. Hair colour can be quite complicated as it is controlled by more than one gene...
mkmattyk Posted - 24/10/2011 : 13:25:57
the way i got told and the way always see it, (and dont get me wrong im still learning) is......

my mum is blonde and my dad is brunette, and im blonde so... in the losest poss way im blonde het brunette (hair wise away), i know corns are much much much more difficult but the principal is still there, they are genes that you get from your mum or dad that normally wouldnt show but you can pass to your childern

i hope this helps even a little bit
polarchick Posted - 24/10/2011 : 13:20:31
Sorry Scaly, it is a bit complicated and my explanation sounds a bit garbled now I have read it back to myself!!!

Genetics does start to make sense once you understand the basics, I have the advantage that I studied genetics as part of my degree... some time ago now but it's still in there somewhere!
ScalySituation Posted - 24/10/2011 : 13:13:40
i think my brain just exploded lol thanks :) that makes things a lot easier
polarchick Posted - 24/10/2011 : 13:08:19
Het is short for heterozygous - a snake (in fact all organisms with DNA) has 2 copies of each gene coding for a particular characteristic, these can be the same (called homozygous) or different (heterozygous). Most corn morph genes are recessive to normal, ie if the snake is heterozygous (has a normal gene and a recessive morph gene) then it will look normal. So although it carries the morph gene it looks normal. However if it is mated with another snake with the same morph gene then it has a chance of producing offspring which are homozygous for the morph gene, ie look like the morph. So a snake het for (for example) amelanism will look normal, but carries a copy of the amel gene and is capable of producing amel offspring if mated with a snake which also carries the amel gene.

There is quite a good genetics tutorial at

http://serpwidgets.com/main/genetics01

Hope this helps,

Sue
a33272 Posted - 24/10/2011 : 13:05:48
i know bugger all but this may help

http://www.corncalc.com/glossary.html

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000