The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Breeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dtookey90 Posted - 05/10/2011 : 21:52:45
What size does a female need to be for breeding and how does it work I have heard of the rule of three for females but why do they have to be three foot long, 300g and 3yrs old??
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 23/10/2011 : 19:32:08
500g at 2 years old??? OMG what had you been feeding her?? my adult females are all under 500g!

i think you got lucky as, as eeji said above, obese and older females are also a higher risk, and yours definitely sounds obese if the age is right!
connorg96 Posted - 23/10/2011 : 19:16:35
i know the rule but i think it is more of a guideline, my female 2 year old normal, ACCIDENTALLY bred with my 2 year old male. she was however well over 500 grams and was like 4+ foot long but she succesfully laid a total of 29 eggs and im hoping to breed them in the future. so i guess i depends on the snake ??
eeji Posted - 07/10/2011 : 21:04:11
something that is also often overlooked is overweight or just generally heavy females which are much more prone to egg binding which in most cases is fatal.
yola Posted - 07/10/2011 : 15:29:50
Yes I did keep both babies. Unfortunatly 1 got out the nursery I have and I think 1 of my cats had it, beleave me I was not happy about this as they were male and female and im not sure why but had purpel dots in there eyes.
Then the dad escaped (he had the purple dots too and he was a very very pink snow), I was so upset about this, althou as he was alot bigger than his hatchlings I never found any blood or anything to give a hint that hes been killed by my cats (im sure thed be alot and it would show def on my laminate) so im hopeing he is still alive in the house somewhere and possibly under my stairs.
If i knew that the boy could mate at 2yrs old then I seriously would have seprated them. It really isn't nice to see a female wither and die because she put all her effort into these eggs and second clutching because of a mistake i made
kdlang Posted - 07/10/2011 : 11:50:43
So sorry to hear that Yola. Did you keep the babies that she had?

The 3ft long and 300g minimum is pretty important. Producing eggs takes an awful lot out of the poor females and if they are undersize then they wont have the reserves needed to cope and quite often can prove fatal. And as Yola has found out, they can double clutch and if they haven't built the weight back up in time then it can have awful consequences.
yola Posted - 06/10/2011 : 22:00:23
I lost a female snow that was 3yrs old this year, I left her in with my boy who was only 2 and thought wasn't mature enough or big enough, I caught them mating unfortunately.
She layed 2 lovely eggs that hatched on time. Unfortunatley she double cluched and layed a load of duff eggs, and because of this we lost her, it just took it out of her. Soooo please think very carefully before puting a male with your female, you have got to make sure she is of the right weight, length etc to be able to possibly lay 2 clutches
gingerpony Posted - 05/10/2011 : 21:55:00
so they're physically mature enough and are carry enough weight to cope with being gravid and laying eggs

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000